Films

Rufus Gwertigan

On 12/27/2015 at 2:42 AM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

There's a third anthology film slated for after this Trilogy and after the two announced Anthology films (Rogue One and Han Solo, as you've mentioned) but there is absolutely no confirmed information about the film, other than it is planned. Josh Trank was originally supposed to direct, but he left. Speculation favours this film being about Boba Fett. The Obi Wan rumours cropped up following a recent issue of Marvel's Star Wars comic which focused on Obi Wan, mainly just people talking about how it would be cool. I think Boba Fett is the most likely, he's a very marketable character, and mostly a blank slate, all the films have so far established is that he grew from a sullen faced child into a largely incompetent bounty hunter.

Wasn't there a leak or with the films listed on a slide? Maybe it was fake...

Tbh I think I'd rather a Han Solo Vs Boba Fett movie and Obi Wan =p

On 12/27/2015 at 0:51 PM, Dan R said:

Probably the laser projection, they were making a big deal of getting it ready to show Star Wars properly. It did look bloody good though.

Yeah that imax laser projection really is great for 3D. (Might go see it again on that when the crowds have died down :P)

Saw Star Wars today. A solid 7/10 but nothing special. All the story beats were very easy to predict but the two Brits did a great job. Loads of tiny kids in the cinema though, who brings a 4yr old to a 12A?!? 

Top films of the year for me: Inside Out, Room & Wild Tales

2 hours ago, Spindles said:

Inside out was indeed a really good film from this year's crop.  Pixar showing that they can still produce quality original content that appeals to a wide audience, rather than pointless pap designed to sell merchandise and happy meals.

Just a shame it was a flash in the pan and they have started knocking out any okish films like Good Dinosaur and sequels again.

For 2015 flicks probably not the best film but rather the one I was most pleased by was Tomorrowland as it's rare to see a big budget family film that you don't know the beats and turns it gonna make. Also The Legend of Billie Jean which I saw for the first time this year was fantastic.

N

Edited by jump

9 minutes ago, jump said:

Just a shame it was a flash in the pan and they have started knocking out any okish films like Good Dinosaur and sequels again.

yeah the quality control has dipped in recent years - Inside Out was the first one since Toy Story 3 five years ago that reached the quality of the Pixar of old. Finding Dory sounds like the next promising one. just hope they can recreate the magic of the first one. Monsters University was good but not nearly as good as the first

53 minutes ago, jump said:

For 2015 flicks probably not the best film but rather the one I was most pleased by was Tomorrowland as it's rare to see a big budget family film that you don't know the beats and turns it gonna make. Also The Legend of Billie Jean which I saw for the first time this year was fantastic.

N

I completely forgot about Tomorrowland. That was a good film. Although it did prove to me that Brad Bird is an animation director and not live action, the best bits in the film were the CGI bits. I was initially really cross that he didn't take the Star Wars gig (which he was reportedly offered before JJ), but now I'm happy with how that turned out.  Brad's probably kicking himself though, he was offered what is set to become the biggest grossing film ever, instead he worked on a financial failure, hopefully The Incredibles 2 will be good and make money so he gets back into Disney's good books as a guy who can make money. I'd like to see what he does with a Marvel property.

I saw Star Wars yesterday as not a huge fan (Apart from the original film, probably have only seen the others once) and really enjoyed it for the popcorn fluff that it was.  My expectations had been lowered after the previous 3, so maybe this enhanced the experience for me.  To me it got the basics right instead of casting "names" like the previous films I liked how they went for lesser known actors meaning I could focus purely on the character as opposed to thinking thats Ewan Mcgregor.  I also liked how it was more stripped down in terms of special effects and generally they kept it simple.  Im not yet convinced by the bad guys but will have to see how things play out.

As for inside out, Im not as high on the film as some.  To me Pixar get it right when the films are mainly for the kids, but with a little for the adults as perfectly demonstrated by the toy story films.  I think Inside out moved too far in the direction of the adults and away from the kids, I know from my own children and speaking to friends, several found it was going over their heads.  I think show a room of film critics copies of Home and inside out and almost 100% would choose the latter, show the film to a group of children and I think you get very different results.

8 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Hayden Christensen wasn't a big name when he was cast in Episode II. He was utter gash. In comparison, the casting of McGregor was inspired. 

Or the kid in the phantom menace who I think didnt make another film.  However I would still maintain that in general they was a trend for bigger names/bigger special effects and some of the character was lost. Also thinking about the casting it almost seemed everyone was picked in isolation, because nobody had any chemistry with anyone else.

13 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

Hayden Christensen wasn't a big name when he was cast in Episode II. He was utter gash. In comparison, the casting of McGregor was inspired. 

The character of McGregor was inspired in the sense that he did as much damage limitation on delivering those shit lines as he could, but there's only so much he could do. He had by far the most charisma in those prequels though, which isn't saying a lot, but probably why people remember him so fondly. Hayden Christensen may be a great actor, but we'll never know, nobody could have done anything with that. George Lucas killed any potential he had for a career, he could have made a decent living off bro comedies or something, he's toxic now

13 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Or the kid in the phantom menace who I think didnt make another film.  However I would still maintain that in general they was a trend for bigger names/bigger special effects and some of the character was lost. Also thinking about the casting it almost seemed everyone was picked in isolation, because nobody had any chemistry with anyone else.

I feel really bad for Jake Lloyd, he took a lot of flak for Episode I, it was anybody's fault but his. That film really seems to have wrecked his life. This is 10 years after Episode I, seeming very damaged by it.

Earlier this year he was arrested, after a 100+ mph police chase, he's awaiting trail and could end up going to prison. We don't know how much is down to Star Wars, but considering he's often said that it made his childhood miserable, and seems pretty scarred by it, I can't imagine it was a positive influence.

Don't get me wrong Force Awakens is fun and good but am I the only one who thinks Force Awakens shits on the orginal Star Wars films more than the prequels does?

*****spoilers*****

The happy ending of Return of the Jedi was all for nothing really...the Empire is still around with a new name when they were meant to have been defeated, Luke fucks up as a Jedi and is now a hermit, RD-D2 the comic relief character is now so depressed he's turned him self off, Han Solo is now a dead beat dad who doesn't even has his own space ship trying to make ends meet only to then be thrown into an abyss and then have the abyss blow up, Darth Vader's redemption was for nothing as it's now inspired a new Sith/dark side Jedi etc

*****spoilers*****

As far as I can see a screener of "the big short" is available in the usual places. Really looking forward to this, I almost don't want to go out to the pub tonight now. 

Edited by lost

Just seen EpVII. Enjoyed it a lot although it had its problems. Still better than the prequels or Return of the Jedi though.

5 hours ago, jump said:

Don't get me wrong Force Awakens is fun and good but am I the only one who thinks Force Awakens shits on the orginal Star Wars films more than the prequels does?

*****spoilers*****

The happy ending of Return of the Jedi was all for nothing really...the Empire is still around with a new name when they were meant to have been defeated, Luke fucks up as a Jedi and is now a hermit, RD-D2 the comic relief character is now so depressed he's turned him self off, Han Solo is now a dead beat dad who doesn't even has his own space ship trying to make ends meet only to then be thrown into an abyss and then have the abyss blow up, Darth Vader's redemption was for nothing as it's now inspired a new Sith/dark side Jedi etc

*****spoilers*****

****SPOILERS****

I get where you're coming from, particularly with regard to the Empire being back with a new name. The rest of it is fine though. Any sequel has to trash a happy ending, and it's not like RotJ was that amazing or the ending that intense and satisfying.

/***SPOILERS ****

Yeah its not something I can get worked up about, there had to be some sort of new evil to fight and it was going have to be on the darkside, regardless of how they handled it.  Think it might have made a better transition if we actually saw the new republic in action. (Maybe something for a TV series, I am sure we will get comics/books covering it more), so you can see the success before the new threat to the Galaxy.

*Spoilers*

Han/Leia actually makes the most sense for their relationship, they weren't ever a perfect romance and its clear in the film they still care about each other. If anything its a rather modern take that the father left when his son went awol :P Han was never a hero as such, he just ended up into the mix (like he does in TFA).

Don't forget when Diseny bought LucasFilm much of the Star Wars universe was suddenly outside canon. Comics and books mean feck all now. As it stands we will not see the rise of Darth Cadeus and  the Solo kids are not looking to be the same as previously thought . Diseny are writing a new history 

5 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Said comic books have been out for years haven't they ?

EDIT...

Here you go....  Not sure how well it all fits in though

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_Legends_comics

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/New_Republic_era

5 ABY to 25 ABY is the period after the Return to the Jedi...  I think...

As much as I loved thr force Awekens, The Grand Amindiral Thrawn Trology by Timothy Zahn with always be the definitive followup to RotJ for me.