Films

Rufus Gwertigan

So over the past 4 days I've watched all of the Indiana Jones films on the beeb...my God what a waste that was.First one was decent the other 3 are fucking awful!So many continuity errors,shit special effects (the last one,can't speak for the timeframe of the first three) and piss poor story telling.Truely terrible.

• Downvote 2

Watched Her again today. By far my top film of the year, and one of my favourites of all time. There's so much going on there that resonates deeply with me, and it's about far, far more than the 'disconnected in the digital age' theme that I've seen it criticised for.

With all the AOTY chat, I was thinking about films this year, and realised I've hardly seen any new releases. My other favourites were Inside Llewyn Davis, Mistaken For Strangers, Wolf Of Wall Street and then Dallas Buyers Club. All released early in the year. Since then I've not been to the cinema much, but have been disappointed mostly. Didn't like Boyhood or Gone Girl. Two Days, One Night was decent, but I'll watch anything with Marion Cotillard. The only other one was the Hendrix biopic, pretty forgettable, apart from the stylised editing, which was amongst the most impressive I've ever seen. Recommended for that alone. Can't think of much else.

I thought that Hendrix film was really quite bad myself. The story was the boring bit that usually takes up the first half hour of a biopic and I didn't think Andre was any good, and the cover up for not being able to do his songs dictated the film too much.

It's more difficult to do a film of the year as, for instance, those you've mentioned are mostly 2013 but we may have only seen them in 2014 and it gets a little confusing as to when you've seen them. Film year kinda ends at the end of awards season doesn't it? That said I'd probably go for The Raid 2 so far but it could change as the months pass.

Edited by dentalplan

So over the past 4 days I've watched all of the Indiana Jones films on the beeb...my God what a waste that was.First one was decent the other 3 are fucking awful!So many continuity errors,shit special effects (the last one,can't speak for the timeframe of the first three) and piss poor story telling.Truely terrible.

I love Raiders and Last Crusade. The other two are fairly awful. Not sure which is the worst between Temple of Doom and the last one. Probably Temple of Doom.

I thought that Hendrix film was really quite bad myself. The story was the boring bit that usually takes up the first half hour of a biopic and I didn't think Andre was any good, and the cover up for not being able to do his songs dictated the film too much.

It's more difficult to do a film of the year as, for instance, those you've mentioned are mostly 2013 but we may have only seen them in 2014 and it gets a little confusing as to when you've seen them. Film year kinda ends at the end of awards season doesn't it? That said I'd probably go for The Raid 2 so far but it could change as the months pass.

I didn't particularly like it, apart from the incredible editing, but I often prefer biopics that stick to a smaller time frame.

Yeah, I was going on UK release dates.

I wont watch Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull, purely because I can't abide Shia Labeuff (or whatever the fuck his name is), might be an alright film for I know, but the second he pops up in anything, I'm out. I'll only watch the subtitled version of Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind, the dub is otherwise quite good, it's even got Patrick Stewart, but the second I hear that little worm's voice, the film is tainted.

I didn't particularly like it, apart from the incredible editing, but I often prefer biopics that stick to a smaller time frame.

Yeah, I was going on UK release dates.

The editing added something to it but it didn't feel all that necessary. I dunno about all that stuff though really.

I guess the problem with going by UK release dates is that a lot of people see some films before the UK release date. :P

I wont watch Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull, purely because I can't abide Shia Labeuff (or whatever the fuck his name is), might be an alright film for I know, but the second he pops up in anything, I'm out. I'll only watch the subtitled version of Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind, the dub is otherwise quite good, it's even got Patrick Stewart, but the second I hear that little worm's voice, the film is tainted.

I dunno. I hate him as much as anyone else but I thought Fury and Lawless were alright, I Robot and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull weren't so bad, and I quite liked Holes as a kid... and Even Stevens of course. He'll still end up getting roles in decent films despite being a tit.

Edited by dentalplan

I can't see or hear him without thinking of that sketch where he shot-for-shot adapted a Dan Clowes comic into a short film, kept all the dialogue identical, but changed the names so nobody would know. He was so happy to take all the credit for it without mentioning the original work at all, but when he got caught out, he fucking copy and pasted an apology he found on the internet, switched the names around, and got found out again.

I watched The Interview yesterday, its alright to have on if you're doing something else at the same time but to sit down and watch, nah.

Seems they have one long running joke for each character the entire film, which is pretty boring.

You'd think they would start a war over a decent movie at least.

Just seen Pride.

You'd have to be a hard hearted fucker to not be smiling by the end. Really really good

We watched it at the pictures when it was packed, and everybody was having a great time with it, it was a really fun experience. After The Wind Rises, this was my nearly my favourite film of last year.

Yeah I was surprised there wasn't more talk of Pride when it came online a couple of weeks ago as it was a glorious flick. I'm not usually one for the heartwarming British comedy-drama but it was a fantastic film.

I thought The Interview was pretty enjoyable but I normally quite like the Rogen & Goldberg films and this one was just the standard. Out of interest (and not judgement of opinion - I'm trying not to word it that way) did the people that didn't enjoy The Interview here like This is the End and Pineapple Express and stuff?

I love Raiders and Last Crusade. The other two are fairly awful. Not sure which is the worst between Temple of Doom and the last one. Probably Temple of Doom.

Jesus! Well harsh to lump Temple of Doom in with Crystal Skull! Its no where near as good as the other two...but its still a decent movie! I like to pretend Crystal Skull doesn't exist mainly.

Watched Up for the first time yesterday, how bloody depressing is that for a kids movie?! I was expecting a heart warming story, nope just felt really sad about it! (As sad it was , that opening montage is just bloody brilliant!)

Working my way through the Bond 50 collection, I've done all the Sean Connery films now. I've never noticed before how sexist they are in places :lol: (I get it was the time), still great movies! I reckon I rate them 6)Thunderball, 5)From Russia with Love, 4)Diamonds are Forever 3)Goldfinger 2)You Only Live Twice 1)Dr No. with From Russia with Love being a bit harshly treated there :P (Also got through On Her Majesty's Secret Secret Service, that would be a great bond if they condensed down the first Hour and half, into about 30 minutes I think!)

Jesus! Well harsh to lump Temple of Doom in with Crystal Skull! Its no where near as good as the other two...but its still a decent movie! I like to pretend Crystal Skull doesn't exist mainly.

Watched Up for the first time yesterday, how bloody depressing is that for a kids movie?! I was expecting a heart warming story, nope just felt really sad about it! (As sad it was , that opening montage is just bloody brilliant!)

Working my way through the Bond 50 collection, I've done all the Sean Connery films now. I've never noticed before how sexist they are in places :lol: (I get it was the time), still great movies! I reckon I rate them 6)Thunderball, 5)From Russia with Love, 4)Diamonds are Forever 3)Goldfinger 2)You Only Live Twice 1)Dr No. with From Russia with Love being a bit harshly treated there :P (Also got through On Her Majesty's Secret Secret Service, that would be a great bond if they condensed down the first Hour and half, into about 30 minutes I think!)

Errrm, did you watch Up right to the end? Not much more uplifting than that ending!

Temple of Doom is terrible. From the Goonies kid being given the most annoying dialogue possible, from Kate Capshaws 1970s horror movie pastiche of a character, to the awful sets, the stupid mind numbing chases, the not so scary villains, the lack of humour etc. Nostalgia seems to put it ahead of the last movie but its not really.

Did that a few years ago. Great fun! Theres a few great movies in there. Even the shitty ones still have some great parts. Brosnan is still my favourite Bond though.

That is the case most of the time.

Just catching up on the Best Director / Best Film debate and wasn't sure how often they were the same, but a quick check shows that a good chunk are awarded to the same film. See below for the films since 2000.

Picture Director

2014 12 Year Gravity

2013 Argo Life of Pi

2012 Artist same

2011 Kings Speech same

2010 Hurt Locker same

2009 Slumdog same

2008 No Country same

2007 Departed same

2006 Crash Brokeback

2005 $m Baby same

2004 LOTR3 same

2003 Chicago Pianist

2002 Beautiful Mind same

2001 Gladiator Traffic

2000 Amercian Beauty same

Errrm, did you watch Up right to the end? Not much more uplifting than that ending!

I did and I guess you are right, I just felt really sad about it all still though :P.

Temple of Doom is terrible. From the Goonies kid being given the most annoying dialogue possible, from Kate Capshaws 1970s horror movie pastiche of a character, to the awful sets, the stupid mind numbing chases, the not so scary villains, the lack of humour etc. Nostalgia seems to put it ahead of the last movie but its not really.

short-round-indy.png?w=549

Anthony Mann - wasn't he replaced after a few days shooting? Still more than enough to recognise Kubrick all the way through it.

More than a few. I think all the early scenes, at the mines and at the Ludus, most of Olivers scenes, etc., were shot by Mann. You can tell it had a "historical epic" feel about it, Kubrick was more, erm, I always thought of it as "television matinee", but basically closer and more intimate. You can see the style change, as a result Kubrick never considered it one of "his" films.

I love Kubrick's work but I think Mann would also have made a magnificent film.

More than a few. I think all the early scenes, at the mines and at the Ludus, most of Olivers scenes, etc., were shot by Mann. You can tell it had a "historical epic" feel about it, Kubrick was more, erm, I always thought of it as "television matinee", but basically closer and more intimate. You can see the style change, as a result Kubrick never considered it one of "his" films.

I love Kubrick's work but I think Mann would also have made a magnificent film.

Not dissing Anthony Mann at all - though (I think) I only know his westerns. What else did he do.