Lineup 2014

Hawky

Pendulum have split haven't they? well, the live band anyway. pretty sure they still do DJ sets but that's it

Paramore... god, it's gonna happen one day but just thinking about it makes me sad. i don't think next year will be that day though. not yet. maybe after their next NEXT album

Pendulum are on temporary hiatus while Rob Swire works on side projects such as Knife Party....however, im pretty sure theyre likely to get back together in the next couple of years...with a new successful album, i reckon theyd have a great chance of headlining..but whether that be 2014, 2015, 2016...who knows...

• Replies 46.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gucci Piggy

• the wonderwhy

• dentalplan

• Com Truise

realistically:

Fri: Arctic Monkeys

SatL Green Day (surely it's gotta be about time they did it!?)

Sun: Mumford & Sons

ideally:

Fri: The Father

Sat: The Son

Sun: The Holy Spirit

although day tickets for the Sunday would no doubt sell out way before the rest. gotta love that Holy Spirit

I get arctic monkeys but don't see how Green Day and Mumfords are likely, not more so than Metallica and The Black Keys

QOTSA have to have a chance to headline next year... It's the joint longest they have stayed away from the festival since they first played... and their last two times they were strong subs. Seem to be getting better slots at Euro fests than normal. Reckon if they do a strong tour in the winter (maybe finally play arenas if they want to, which apparently they never do but meh) they could headline next year.

Pretty certain they will play... probably sub Metallica but I reckon if Tallica dont play they could headline a day.

I reckon if they announced a tour that was arena's at the end of this year and sold it comfortably then yes they are in the frame. If they go onto announce academy's then nope, in fact it might be their big chance this time of making it to the top in the UK, I'm not a huge fan so not fussed either way but you'd say if Metallica play they sub them.

realistically:

Fri: Arctic Monkeys

SatL Green Day (surely it's gotta be about time they did it!?)

Sun: Mumford & Sons

ideally:

Fri: The Father

Sat: The Son

Sun: The Holy Spirit

although day tickets for the Sunday would no doubt sell out way before the rest. gotta love that Holy Spirit

Green Day is a decent shout, if they agree to play a secret set earlier in the day then I can see them agreeing a set, but I'd imagine they'd need to be given a Foo's/The Cure length set. their Wembley Gig still isn't sold out is it? Although, I don't think there is any doubt that the R&L goers want it, no doubt T will try too.

Metallica with Green Day would need a very indie based band, but I also don't think you'd need the biggest as them two will both cost a fair bit and are two huge names.

Does anyone know what Melvin's reaction or what the general consensus was to Black Keys after 2012? I saw them at Reading, and while i think theyre a fantastic band, i didnt think too much of them live...perfectly acceptable but i .just didnt see anything special besides what youd here listening to them on album...maybe thats just cos i was quite far back though, i dunno...but from that, i didnt really see anything that shouted 'future headliner'...

Does anyone know what Melvin's reaction or what the general consensus was to Black Keys after 2012? I saw them at Reading, and while i think theyre a fantastic band, i didnt think too much of them live...perfectly acceptable but i .just didnt see anything special besides what youd here listening to them on album...maybe thats just cos i was quite far back though, i dunno...but from that, i didnt really see anything that shouted 'future headliner'...

They were boring as hell at Reading.

I enjoyed them but to say a headliner is far off the pace. They had nothing about them that resembled the want to see them as a headliner, and I do like them. I think they could well end up subbing R&L again as I don't see many festivals if any that would book them higher. Glasto aren't giving them a headline slot and nor are V.

They have said though they can't wait to get the next record out, they have a bit of KOL all over them without the headline presence.

I get arctic monkeys but don't see how Green Day and Mumfords are likely, not more so than Metallica and The Black Keys

Mumfords have one of the biggest albums of 2012, so IF they're not headlining this year, then i'd say next year is a definite.

and Green Day are long overdue a performance, so... yeah

Metallica... maybe. i only say Green Day because it's been a ridiculous amount of time since they last headlined, whereas Metallica in 2008 is still fresh on everybody's mind, and let's be honest... it's Metallica, so they probably won't have the album ready by then

The Black Keys won't headline. too soon after their 2012 sub appearance. maybe in a couple more years (if their success continues)

thats exactly the thing ...got a load of awesome hits....but just lack that live presence...great band but as much as i love them, not an exciting headliner

Nope, they don't have as far as I remember the most outrageous stage setup either, they are very much a KOL type of thing, strangely enough, they subbed Foo's as well before making the top 4 years later, though did sub again in 07 to Razorlight. While I don't think it'll take TBK quite that long, I'd say possibly 3 of them.

It's quite interesting how you can see bands that played sub one year then 3 years later made it to the top, the fast few years since around 09, there hasn't been that sub band to do it, though I'd expect Paramore, The Prodigy and maybe FATM to be in there, in the next few years. I do think FATM when she comes back with a new album though will end up headlining V.

I'd reckon for expensive wise, if they got Metallica and GD in 14 then Paramore, although lacking what it needs to be a headliner would be a cheap enough 3rd headliner that sells to book. Depends what goes on with Metallica, if they don't drop the album by end this year/early next, I don't see it being them, but when it comes, R&L will get them 1st. Well pretty much, Download has just had them and R&L is the only other fest that'll book them.

Either way, i reckon theyll need their next album to be massive to get a headline spot so soon....like someone said, similar to KOL did after the commercial success of songs like Sex on Fire and Use Somebody...

Oh yeah they will. They are not big enough to headline yet, and on a big as KOL sense, just for that eg, not even in the same boat!

Huge step from what makes you a sub to what makes you a headliner

Edited by thewayiam

Ideally, I'd wish for 2014 to be:

Friday: Metallica

Saturday: Arctic Monkeys

Sunday: Green Day

Green Day could be swapped with Paramore I guess, but I can see it being a little longer before they headline.

I wouldn't say that is far off. I haven't decided on anything concrete on a 2014 thought, wait a little longer but Metallica and Green Day defo cannot be written off.

I'd say R&L have already started talking to them about it, they got them to play again for the 1st time since 04, it'll be 10 years since they last played.

Metallica for me, if they release the album in time, are a given, I don't think any other festival is getting them before R&L here.

They were boring as hell at Reading.

Yeah I thought the same to be honest, was looking forward to seeing them but they were pretty dull live, doubt they will ever headline and i bloody hope they don't

Queens Of The Stone Age

Arctic Monkeys

Metallica

now that would be sweet, some others who might be in with a shout

The Killers

Green Day

Mumford (If they don'y play this year)

IMO the top three are the three most likely candidates, even though now is very early to say so. It's just whether QOTSA + Metallica is too 'heavy' for what R+L want. I think they could work those three though.

I don't think either of the other three will play,

• Mumford because I imagine they'll be there this year.
  • Green Day because if they were gonna do R+L they would have done it this year - after releasing three albums - as part of the world tour, instead of their stadium show.
  • The Killers have been doing festivals in UK for three consecutive years now, they surely have temples to build or something.

now that Mumfords seem likely for this year i'll change my original guess of

Arctic Monkeys

Green Day

Mumford & Sons

to

Arctic Monkeys

Green Day

The Killers

although there'll probably be a curveball headliner that nobody suspects is realistic at the moment

I doubt R&L would have 3 repeat headliners the same year.