Will Pearl Jam ever play Glasto

Guest swede

I got the feeling they play better in indoor arenas rather than festivals.. maybe they're still abit anxious from Roskilde, or just get better when they have a dedicated crowd. Like on Reading 2006 they several times told the crowd to take it easy, if anything looked suspicious they would just stop playing.. which they did 30 min in or so, for a min due to safety/security issues before they continued.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are but maybe just not for Glasto, but herein lies the problem for Glasto as it's going to be difficult to ease these band into the line-up as the likes of Foos, Pearl Jam and Metallica are legit headline bands and are unlikely to play any lower. Booking QOTSA to headline the other was a masterstroke but for the genuine big rock bands there's only one spot they'll play.

they're all 'legit headline bands' but only the Foos really suit Glasto as the sort of band that Glasto has as headliners - at least, as things have gone to date.

QOTSA have played Glasto loads of times (well, at least three off the top of my head) so there really wasn't anything unusual or surprising about that.

Jay Z wasn't really a Glasto sort of headline a few years back. I wouldn't be surprised it Eavis went for something a bit different to the norm again next year, on at least one night, I can really see a Metallica headlining at some point, and I think they would go down really well with the Glasto crowd

They are but maybe just not for Glasto, but herein lies the problem for Glasto as it's going to be difficult to ease these band into the line-up as the likes of Foos, Pearl Jam and Metallica are legit headline bands and are unlikely to play any lower. Booking QOTSA to headline the other was a masterstroke but for the genuine big rock bands there's only one spot they'll play.

Jay Z wasn't really a Glasto sort of headline a few years back. I wouldn't be surprised it Eavis went for something a bit different to the norm again next year, on at least one night, I can really see a Metallica headlining at some point, and I think they would go down really well with the Glasto crowd

That's precisely why I included "at least, as things have gone to date."

Michael's made some comments lately which have implied that he's now willing to include heavier bands than he would have done in the past.

I can't remember exactly what I read but I took it to mean that Metallica might be considered in the future but not for next year - which I took to mean that either there's already a heavier act lined up for next year (which I'd guess to be the Foos) or that next year's headliners are already firmly in place and so there's no way of fitting them in.

In regard to Jay-Z, he wasn't actually so different. Like nearly every headliner Glastonbury has ever had, he's covered by the broad scope of what is 'pop music', by which I mean acts that regularly appear in the singles chart - which is what just about every Glastonbury headliner has always been.

In regard to Jay-Z, he wasn't actually so different. Like nearly every headliner Glastonbury has ever had, he's covered by the broad scope of what is 'pop music', by which I mean acts that regularly appear in the singles chart - which is what just about every Glastonbury headliner has always been.

Cant think of many worse though. 90 seconds of 99 problems is ok and the rest of his music is total plopsies. The worst, most vulgar form of tripe. Shouting vaguely in key about money, jewelry and plugging products he has money invested in. Just a fucking horrible, horrible self serving waste of time.

Cant think of many worse though. 90 seconds of 99 problems is ok and the rest of his music is total plopsies. The worst, most vulgar form of tripe. Shouting vaguely in key about money, jewelry and plugging products he has money invested in. Just a fucking horrible, horrible self serving waste of time.

shouting at the audience is what every single 'rapper' I've ever seen live does. It's nowt unique to Jay-Z.

I guess it's a part of the rap art form. :P:lol:

I can't remember exactly what I read but I took it to mean that Metallica might be considered in the future but not for next year - which I took to mean that either there's already a heavier act lined up for next year (which I'd guess to be the Foos) or that next year's headliners are already firmly in place and so there's no way of fitting them in.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. Glastonbury almost represents the last bastion for heavier acts to take on (with regards to headlining the main stages) and I think the challenge would appeal to some, and would take it on if offered.

Yeah, Linkin Park said they'd love to play even if it's not as headliners or being paid and Metallica have been saying for years they's like to play but have been a bit vague if they'd only play as headliners or not.

I wonder if they could get away with being a secret act like Radiohead & Pulp have been before?

Edited by Ovechkin

pearl jam arent the sort of band that would INSIST on a head line spot .

IF they were asked to play and i hope they will be i reckon they wouldn't mind playing second fiddle to other bands that they admire and if it suited them .

i dont really think they are that worried where on the bill they play .

THEY know there a great band THEY dont have to make any issues out of it :bow:

I've got similar opinions on hip hop to the Nal, it seems. I find the crass message of riches, bitches and violence that some big name rappers have made their money off to be a poor representation of a genre and often the artists themselves. Jay Z, for me, fits the category of the kind of rap that means nothing to me.

Artists like Michael Frante still get much turntable time for me, there is much hip hop out there of greater merit (in my eyes) than acts which get the attention. Mind you, I'm a middle aged white bloke from the midlands, not really target demographic, I'm sure.

I'm still massively in favour of PJ playing. I think that they would be perfect and would prefer them at the other stage also, preferably against someone REALLY pop who would get a huge crowd at the Pyramid.

• 2 months later...