Verdict on U2?

Guest DJL

I was sort of reluctant to go for U2. I'm not a fan. I probably wouldn't have gone last year. But something this year told me that it was going to be big.

And sure enough, somewhere in the middle of that gig, I found myself grinning like a loon, and high-fiving my mate.

U2. Of all people. Bastards.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was sort of reluctant to go for U2. I'm not a fan. I probably wouldn't have gone last year. But something this year told me that it was going to be big.

And sure enough, somewhere in the middle of that gig, I found myself grinning like a loon, and high-fiving my mate.

Yeah - I don't get the whole lack of fireworks etc either. The start at least with all the Zoo TV video stuff, and the way they split the big screen into different sized screens, with their own above the Glasto ones went a long way to recreating, IMO, their finest (live) hour - the outdoor Zoo TV shows.

Quite dreary, really. They were musically sound but the set list was all over the place and what WAS that encore all about?! Weird. I loved the Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum but haven't really liked anything since then but I was expecting more from them as 'the greatest band in the world'. Allegedly! And I have never seen so much space in the arena. Yes, the weather was bad but it doesn't matter where you try and hide at Glastonbury, THE RAIN WILL GET YOU, so if it was a brilliant, mind-blowing gig, people would have stayed. A friend of ours was near the front and he thought it was great but, like many have said, beyond the sound stage they just didn't reach the rest of the crowd. Dull, with no atmosphere. Finally, what was the interview with Jo Whiley all about? Also weird!!! :blink:

I really enjoyed their set, some might say it was a bit self-indulgent and a partial U2 history lesson, starting with a look back to Zoo TV (using the original visuals etc for the first couple of songs), set ended with what would have been their set at Live Aid (Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bad, Pride).

It did lose its way a little in the middle though, while I love Stay, it was a bit of a buzz kill and they didn't recover from it, something like City of Blinding Lights might have worked a little better. Discotheque should've been played, along with New Years Day and Bullet The Blue Sky. Surprised Walk On wasn't in the set too. Get On Your Boots came across much better than when I saw them in Cardiff in 2009. I love Moment Of Surrender, but right after With Or Without You it just left everyone a little flat. I think they added Out Of Control partially because of this and they also realised they were short on their alloted time.

Not the greatest Pyramid headliner, but you can't guarantee any band will give their best show on any given night, so often it's the show in Nowheresville that trumps the one in the big city.

I thought they were as brilliant as I thought they could be without playing 'Stuck in a moment' and 'City of blinding lights', had they played those 2 It would have been the icing on the cake.

Thing is they were never going to live up to the hype they got, they were hyped up more than any other headliner so would inevitably fall short of what people imagined it would be like. It seemed to me like they wanted to let the music do the talking without all the theatrics. I mean they had the bloke in space, but I prefer it when a band just lets the music do the work without the fireworks and all the rest of it. Something more honest about it, obviously the rest is a bonus but I felt the same when KoL headlined in 2008. No theatrics just them and their instruments.

Coldplay brought the drama and theatrics and for me, whilst I knew they would be very good, they exceed all my expectations and I am slowly coming round to the idea of them being my favourite set of the festival. Just something so special about Coldplay and Glastonbury which makes them playing just seem so right!

I thought they were as brilliant as I thought they could be without playing 'Stuck in a moment' and 'City of blinding lights', had they played those 2 It would have been the icing on the cake.

Thing is they were never going to live up to the hype they got, they were hyped up more than any other headliner so would inevitably fall short of what people imagined it would be like. It seemed to me like they wanted to let the music do the talking without all the theatrics. I mean they had the bloke in space, but I prefer it when a band just lets the music do the work without the fireworks and all the rest of it. Something more honest about it, obviously the rest is a bonus but I felt the same when KoL headlined in 2008. No theatrics just them and their instruments.

Coldplay brought the drama and theatrics and for me, whilst I knew they would be very good, they exceed all my expectations and I am slowly coming round to the idea of them being my favourite set of the festival. Just something so special about Coldplay and Glastonbury which makes them playing just seem so right!

I loved it. Loved the setlist, loved the encore. Loved it, loved it, loved it.

Three downsides, none of which they could control:

1: The rain (I actually didn't get that wet until I pulled my hood up only to find it was full of water which then ran down the back of my neck). Although it didn't spoil my enjoyment, I think it did put a dampener on things.

2: The sound - as stated by others, could have been better, which was a surprise because when the road crew sound checked Mysterious Ways and Moment of Surrender at 11:00am it sounded bloody epic.

3: That f**king inflatable crocodile. PUT THE f**kING THING DOWN YOU TWAT! I PAID TO SEE LIVE MUSIC, NOT YOUR TOY! YOU TIT!

Setlist could have been better. Missed out some crackers and played some very average songs. The encore was a particular let down.

The sound started ok but deteriorated badly the second half. I'm not a huge fan of Biffy but the difference in vocals and the volume levels it seemed like there was only one good microphone for the night and Biffy used it.

I thought Bono was respectful, understood the festival and knew it was a big deal for them. Anyone whom says they "phoned" it in after Bono said the night made his career is slightly misguided.

They were 'good' when i was expecting 'spectacular' and i agree with those saying the weather would have had a HUGE effect on any of this years headliners.

I have been to 6 Glasto's and barring The Who in 2007 I've never known it to rain so bad during a headliner. Rotten luck but overall they were enjoyable enough without being as legendary as many had hoped.

U2 dont do fireworks never have and never will.it was pretty much a striped back u2 gig. I think if you have seen u2 live before their sound is always loud and clear where as this cannot be guranteed with the pyramid stages sound which is average at the best of times.If there were any sound problems i wouldnt have thought it would be down to the band more like the pyramid stages sound.if anyones been to a 360 gig they will know what i mean.the sound from the claw is the best ive ever heard from any gig ever.

I can't believe some of the comments on this thread! Were you actually at the same place? U2 were amazing! I'm not sure why people are complaining about the set list as they played pretty much all the classics. Okay, there were probably a couple missing but when you have the huge back catalogue they have got that was always going to happen.

Also, people are complaining about the fact they didn't have any fireworks! Surely a band should be judged on their performance and the quality of their songs. I saw a lot of amazing acts in the acoustic tent and they don't get to use fireworks! In fact none of the acts get to use fireworks unless they are headlining the Pyramid, do they? I've seen Coldplay slated on this forum for using fireworks as people are saying they only did it to detract from the fact their set was dull - which I also don't agree with! It makes it look good on TV but I wouldn't have enjoyed Coldplay's set any less if they hadn't used fireworks.

And yes, it was raining pretty heavily but unfortunately no-one can control the weather - not even U2! However, this would have had an impact on the sound and how it carries, so may be why some people are complaining about the sound quality. I can't say I noticed it much, only in places but then I noticed this for a lot of the acts I have seen on the Pyramid, this year and in previous years. It has a lot to do with where you are standing and the direction of the wind etc. If people want perfect sound, perhaps they should stay at home and listen to a CD! The sound quality wasn't half as annoying as the people who were just standing around and talking throughout some of the acts I went to see!

I wasn't there, and haven't seen the exact setlist, but am I right in thinking that after all the U2 fans on here said that they would never play a greatest hits set, they don't do that, blah blah, that they actually came on stage and banged out a greatest hits set?

Was there on Friday and was the 9th time have seen U2- thought they were superb- different set list than they're playing on current tour- some stuff I ain't heard them play in ages. Liked the simple but effective visuals

I was surprised that it wasn't busier when I got there and managed to get pretty far forward. But it filled up nicely by the end

Weather was bloody awful which didn't help and i some ways I wished they'd played the Sunday as it would of been a great way to finish off the weekend.

Much as I love "out of control" thought was strange choice as last song I was hoping for "40"

i thought they were magnificent.

i found it wierd that a few people around where i was kept shouting "fcuk off bono you tw@t".why go see them if he offends you that much?

the weather certainly had an effect on the sound and vibe.i still think it was a truly great perfomance from the biggest band in the world.