Verdict on U2?

Guest DJL

I enjoyed the gig overall, albeit a little underwhelming for the last half, few strange song choices and it was too short. Wont go down as an all time great Glasto gig but I don’t think U2 are in the pantheon of all time great bands to be honest. They are too aware of their persona/legacy and not the most organic band around for the most part.

The truly great U2 moments are the organic ones though. As overplayed and “cheesy” as it is, One is really is a great song and proves how important it was in keeping the band together and kick starting Acthung Baby. To think it came from an unused bridge for Mysterious Ways is madness and the film last night showing that they basically went from binning the bridge to having the guts of One in 15 minutes. If only they approached their recent albums with that mentality.

Nice to see a U2 documentary focused on the music too, no Bono the humanitarian stuff anywhere to be seen.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you see the press conference Bono did before the 'From The Sky Down' doc was shown at the film festival in Canada? Interesting stuff about them being on the edge of irrelevance ( I know some people will say they have been for years), he got quite emotional with it in the end, it was if he could sense they are on the verge of it all finishing.

We really liked the Verve as well, we watch that performance back quite a bit

I enjoyed U2 (never seen them before though), I just thought they got the setlist a bit wrong.

I mean "Moment of Surrender" and "Out of Control" to end on ?!?

I love "Out of Control", IMHO one of their best so I was happy BUT a lot of people have never heard of it, people were leaving in droves near us.

Our verdit on U2 was "good, not great" :mellow:

...and we havent watched them back yet, were we have watched Morrissey around 10 ten times now :clapping:

Glasto June 8/10 (should have been 11/10 buts lots of hurdles for them to jump eg flights + weather)

BBC Documentary 9/10, very interesting to see band rehearsing together.

FLAGS 11/10 - I have always been a supporter of the flags and I thought they were shown up in all their glory when watching the BBC rerun of U2's performance. The view from within the crowds looking towards the bright lights of the stage thro a forest of flags was really something else. I believe these pictures could become classics in years to come, as defining Glastonbury during this time. Maybe not a popular view?

Regards

Edited by Pauljoanss

FLAGS 11/10 - I have always been a supporter of the flags and I thought they were shown up in all their glory when watching the BBC rerun of U2's performance. The view from within the crowds looking towards the bright lights of the stage thro a forest of flags was really something else. I believe these pictures could become classics in years to come, as defining Glastonbury during this time. Maybe not a popular view?

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

U2 star Bono has confessed he was left disappointed by the band's prestigious headline set at this year's Glastonbury festival, blaming driving rain and "the wrong shoes" for their subdued performance.

The Irish rockers topped the bill at the iconic British festival in June, a year after they were forced to pull out when the singer hurt his back.

But the hotly-anticipated performance - which took place during a huge downpour - left many fans disappointed, and now Bono has spoken out to explain the reasons for the muted show.

He blames a DJ for accidentally sabotaging the band's equipment, and the rainstorm which turned the stage into a treacherous "ice rink", admitting the band was "freaked out" by the occasion.

Bono tells Q magazine, "There were a couple of things... There was a DJ under the stage, playing music in between sets, and he bumped into our keyboard computer. So we lost all the keyboards.

"I walked out and realised that the stage was like an ice rink and I was wearing the wrong shoes. I couldn't move - I was stuck on the spot. We were a bit freaked out. We had come in the middle of a U.S. tour to do Glastonbury on our day off. That's a long shot."

U2 star Bono has confessed he was left disappointed by the band's prestigious headline set at this year's Glastonbury festival, blaming driving rain and "the wrong shoes" for their subdued performance.

The Irish rockers topped the bill at the iconic British festival in June, a year after they were forced to pull out when the singer hurt his back.

But the hotly-anticipated performance - which took place during a huge downpour - left many fans disappointed, and now Bono has spoken out to explain the reasons for the muted show.

He blames a DJ for accidentally sabotaging the band's equipment, and the rainstorm which turned the stage into a treacherous "ice rink", admitting the band was "freaked out" by the occasion.

Bono tells Q magazine, "There were a couple of things... There was a DJ under the stage, playing music in between sets, and he bumped into our keyboard computer. So we lost all the keyboards.

"I walked out and realised that the stage was like an ice rink and I was wearing the wrong shoes. I couldn't move - I was stuck on the spot. We were a bit freaked out. We had come in the middle of a U.S. tour to do Glastonbury on our day off. That's a long shot."