Verdict on U2?

Guest DJL

Just looking back over the footage on the tv....it doesn't really come across that great tbf. They should have had faith in the BBC rather than hiring their own personal director. The shots were terrible, not nearly enough shots on the crowd. Also, the few shots on the crowd were pitch black. Too many things went against themon the night....some self-inflicted and some not. As someone mentioned earlier, a 7/10 that should have been 9/10.

Edited by hallamboy

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you 100% about the director! Basically, they got that wrong! As for the show. This is quite a difficult one for me to judge, because emotionally I loved it...my favourite band, playing the tunes I love and at the place I love the most. And then there is the other side that I thought they misjudged parts of it, like the camera coverage. Not to get technical, but they used the wrong lenses and style. I know what they were trying to do, but they fluffed it. I agree they should have used the BBC guy.

I think the weather directed the broadcast more than anything. They spent an annoying amount of time 'on stage', but if you look at any moment when they cut to an 'off stage' camera, the lens was covered with rain. Remember the wind was pushing the rain in on an angle - not ideal - maybe forced their choice?

On U2 overall - they didn't knock it out of the park. I've seen U2 do far, far better. The weather was the main issue. It's amazing to see Bono so still. In the BBC interview afterwards, he said it was like an ice rink out there and he just couldn't move around much. I think you can bet that if U2 had 'Coldplay' weather, you would have seen him off the end of the stage, up at the barriers and all of that. So the weather effecting the performance and washing out the sound, plus a few clear gremlins in the machine (few noticeable errors and mistakes) I think knocked them down a few pegs.

A shame, because if they'd put their best foot forward...

Also the fact that the setlist was basically Anaheim didn't help (they just couldn't help themselves, and had to have a dry run...if they'd come out and mixed it up even just a little it would have helped build the excitement, but I knew exactly what song was coming next, so there was no sense of expectation....in fact, if they'd kept this setlist under wraps, I think I might have been more impressed)

I don't think many people realised who Bono was talking to (Mark Kelly, husband of Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, who had just been releasd from hospital after being shot a few months ago...so when he said, "Tell my wife I love her and I'll see her very soon", I thought it was very poignant...and I'm sure he would have gotten a huge reception in the US, but at Glasto it went over the heads of everyone around me)...anyway, certainly not one to challenge the great sest seen on the pyramid...

I wasn't there and just watched it on telly. I'm a huge fan. The thing about U2 is they were so ahead of their time when they did the Zoo Tv tour. They raised the bar really high with that tour and anything in comparison, will always disappoint.

Add to that, that they were being respectful to the festival (if they'd took their claw with them it would have ' Look at that bunch of tossers, think they are bigger than Glasto'

As for the set list, the two times I've seen them previously, they played a few tunes from their 2001 and 2005 albums which are pretty average. Five from Achtung Baby was excellent, maybe they could have had another couple from Joshua.

Edited by xtrmntr75

As for the set list, the two times I've seen them previously, they played a few tunes from their 2001 and 2005 albums which are pretty average. Five from Achtung Baby was excellent, maybe they could have had another couple from Joshua.

Edited by The Nal

Whoever said 7/10 but could have been 9/10 hit the nail on the head for me.

Rain - It might have been 9/10 with better weather - it is possible to play a great set in those conditions but asking a lot and I'm not sure u2 are the right band with the right energy, at this stage of their careers, to do it. I could picture a band like the foos thriving in such conditions, playing in front of a different set of fans but not sure beyonce or coldplay would have faired any better.

Fireworks etc - Fair point if they'd have done loads of this they would have been criticised but they perhaps imo stripped it back too much. It was a relatively sparse, cold and wet crowd with very high expectations of seeing a band famed for being epic. In this (and a few other ways) I think they had everything to lose and little to gain.

Nerves - and the rain do explain bono's lack of mobility (along with his back surgery?) - they just didn't look relaxed, especially compared to Chris Martin who.appeared in his element.

Bono - I am probably guilty of jumping on the band wagon re the preaching thing as come to think of it I can't remember anything specific he said but I did find him a little annoying.

So my verdict (and I started the thread!) - they were good, and under difficult circumstances, but it won't go down as a legendary glast set. Definitely glad I saw them though!

Edited by DJL

• 3 weeks later...

I thought it was the most vulgar thing i've ever seen in my life. The performance wasn't half arsed, and it just made me feel depressed for the festival. I knew it would be a vile hedonistic mess when I came into it, but I also knew it was U2 and they have amazing songs. I was gutted to have to miss Primal Screma but thought U2 would be a treat. By the time I realised how f**king dire U2 were it was too late to catch much of Primal Scream so I just stood. First time i've ever felt anger toward an artistg before. Bono and co are c**ts.

I was pretty much in a fuzzy world from the start of Biffy Clyro which I had to watch for a friend so I was in great spirit for the show much to the annoyance of the people around me. When the lights went down and when U2 came on I remember being very excited and thinking to myself "This is it". This excited, buzzy feeling pretty much carried on throughout the entirety of the set and for me they played a brilliant set and I had a great spot too. Throw in Moz before U2 and you've got a great evening. I do however, remember being quite pissed off with the rain though and for some reason kept on holding my hand up to the sky to see whether it stopped or not.

Edited by BlackHole2006

Meh ending, start was a bit mehhh for me but I am not a u2 fan but the middle wasn't to bad. The rain, the trek from west holts before hand so I was out of ear shot of fecking Morrisey contributed to me not liking it plus waiting for something spectacular with the lights and stuff (Which I thought they was going do what Coldplay had:P). I think i would have maybe enjoyed if Elbow had subbed as planned or biffy had been bumped up so I was there quite for about 3 bands. and if I had pushed forward of the sound desk a little more.

Plus the god damn rain didn't help much.

Edited by LondonTom

in your opinion!

personally i thought coldplay were shite, have done since the second album! went to watch them as my son was desperate to see them,

the fact that the t in the park show was an exact same-set as glastonbury just goes to show that coldplay are on-stage purely to go through the motions(in my opinion)

I really enjoyed U2. I had a good spot and was singing at the top of my voice. I should imagine that Bono was worried about slipping over and hurting his back again as the stage was so wet. At least he did leave the stage and come out into the rain. To the poster who said that Bono and U2 are c***s, it take one to know one. Could you have done any better in the circumstances. :)