Verdict on U2?

Guest DJL

We ended up cutting across the pyramid stage on route to fat boy and caught the first three quarters finding it surprisingly hard to leave.

- they were pretty good and played a few classics early on. I was really surprised at how much space there was though, easy to walk across just behind the sound stage - much less busy than the same space for beyonce (which I reluctantly ended up in for a bit). Watching it back on tv they didn't seem particularly up for it and seemed to have less fireworks, lights etc than beyonce and coldplay? After the long build up and such a big band, seems underwhelming... Or was it just the weather? Wondering what others thought?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hadnt seen them before and I really enjoyed it. They played Bad ffs what more can you ask for!?

weather didnt help but overall I'd say they nailed it. loved that they played loads of Achtung. encore was a bit odd but other than that no complaints from me

Thought they basically nailed it.

The everlasting (or it seems like it) hype won't have helped the perception, and nor will the pissing rain, but the crowd in front of the sound desk (can't speak for further back) was rammed and totally into it. As for the band, Bono certainly was giving it everything he had, and the others were pretty much how they always are.

As a somewhat lapsed fan (due to my dislike of the last couple albums), it was the best U2 performance I've seen in quite a while.

I loved it, especially the beginning first 5 songs. A few really nice moments throughout.

Watching back on the iPlayer, there's a look exchanged between Bono & The Edge at the end, which seems to show they were pleased with it.

Get On Your Boots / Moment of Surrender was a wasted opportunity.

The miserable weather didn't help either.

Having said that, I heard quite a few of this type of comment: "I don't like U2 but we ended up watching them anyway and they were annoyingly good".

That's the fifth time I've seen them and that's up there with the best, great show and has been mentioned they played my favourite song, bad.

Seems like a lot of the people round me were later fans of u2 as they didn't know that, I will follow or out of control and I got some funny looks as I sang along on my own!

I loved the intro, with Space Oddity playing and that that awesome thing with bugs and butterflies on the screen! I did think the setlist was a bit strange in places though, and I felt that it dragged on for too long. The atmosphere was great, but I think that with all the hype of U2 playing, I was kind of expecting something incredible.

Also, I just can't stand Bono's 'banter' between songs, it's almost embarrassing to watch especially after watching it back this afternoon! He needs to take notes from Jarvis Cocker!! (who was phenomenal with Pulp- maybe Bono should try handing out 'ixes to the front row :lol: )

I think everyone was expecting it to be the greatest festival performance ever, nearly an impossible task. I don't really listen to them but found them really good, just underwhelmed with the whole thing (poor sound and weather dampening the crowd's spirit didn't help)

Thought they were superb don't know what some people were wanting??

Not much preaching loads of hits, four guys rocking it on stage !

Watching it again from the stuff I recorded and enjoying it all over again

I will follow is my moment of the weekend

I thought they started with an absolute blast. EBTTRT was brilliant. I'm not sure what happened during Streets but there was definitely a mistake in there...not sure if it was a U2-induced mistake or sound desk mistake but the strings were missing (I'm pretty sure they were supposed to start whilst Bono was singing "Jerusalem") and the sound of Edge's riff seemed to come in late. However, I don't think most would have noticed this. I was a little disappointed for this song as I was looking forward to it more than any other song in the setlist and it was done to a tee with Muse in 2010.

I was standing to the right of the sound desk at the start. There was f**k-all of an atmosphere there. I got the impression that some people had really made their minds up already and it annoyed me slightly so I moved a little forward to where people where dancing. At one point, when Bono was chatting, leading up to where the astronaut had his few words, some oul' c**t was shouting "Shut up preaching" at the top of her voice. What a f**kin idiot!! Give him a chance for f**k sake. With that, I pushed forward even more.

I got up a little past the sound desk and the atmosphere was electric. That's where I watched the gig until the end. I thought they absolutely nailed it. That was the best performance of "With or Without You" I've probably ever seen. It was that good. I just wished the finished on that. There was absolutely no need to play "Moment of Surrender". It's a good song but a sombre note to finish off (with the weather being horrendous as it was). "Out of Control" was good but again, it could have been left out.

If I was to be honest, I think the Coldplay gig was better. They had a much simpler (but better) stage set-up with fireworks and lasers. The extra screens really did nothing for the performance IMO. Also, you could sense the nervousness in the performance.

Anyway, I'm being really critical because I've seen them lots of times and feel like I can be. But looking at it from aneutral point of view, I think they totally rocked it. I'm looking forward to viewing the recording of the performance on tv this weekend to get the tv perspective.

Edit to say: I screamed like a little girl when the first notes of Bad boomed out of the speakers. I looked like a complete lunatic.

Edited by Bobser

With Or Without You was a highlight. We were waay back and ended dancing n' singing at the tops of our voices with some random strangers. That's what a gig is all about really.

Think some people built it up beyond possibility, or were in the too-cool-for-school camp and were going to hate it no matter what.

Its a personal thing, but for me at the age of 59 and having started my festival experiences at the age of 17 at the Isle of Wight 69, Watching U2 on Friday was my ultimate live gig experience. Favourite band at favourite place. I came over a bit emotional (had been drinking red wine) and felt that I now had seen every thing and it was time to move on and focus on another stage of my life eg retirement and our four beautiful grand children.

Will agree it was not their greatest show but they were battling with lots of stuff eg. middle of Canada tour, unfamiliar stage and of course the rain. An important part of Bono's act is making physical contact with the audience (see Band Aid) but the rain made this impractical. Yes Bruce Springsteen got out there but he did not have the rain or a muddy pit to cross. They were always going to be taking a risk doing Glasto and given the circumstances I believe they did a grand job. One of the best experiences of my life.

Edited by Pauljoanss

Watching it on YouTube the footage doesn't do it credit to the atmosphere at the front of that stage, VERY tough conditions and if it were any other band the reviews would be excellent - this is the biggest band in the world, and unfortunately they have to be compared to that. Compare it to a Pyramid headline set, and it was absolutely terrific! Best I've seen by a muddy mile!

Its a personal thing, but for me at the age of 59 and having started my festival experiences at the age of 17 at the Isle of Wight 69, Watching U2 on Friday was my ultimate live gig experience. Favourite band at favourite place. I came over a bit emotional (had been drinking red wine) and felt that I now had seen every thing and it was time to move on and focus on another stage of my life eg retirement and our four beautiful grand children.

Will agree it was not their greatest show but they were battling with lots of stuff eg. middle of Canada tour, unfamiliar stage and of course the rain. An important part of Bono's act is making physical contact with the audience (see Band Aid) but the rain made this impractical. Yes Bruce Springsteen got out there but he did not have the rain or a muddy pit to cross. They were always going to be taking a risk doing Glasto and given the circumstances I believe they did a grand job. One of the best experiences of my life.

All told I think they did well. I felt they treated the festival (and us Glastoites) with the respect deserved.

Had to feel for them with the weather.

It wasn't a perfect set list but the vast majority of songs were from their top drawer.

I certainly wasn't disappointed.