Elbow

Guest Roonwilldo

Headlining the Pyramid or Other surely, Probably Other. Regardless, if they are there I'll be watching them.

Out of curiosity, anyone else think Leaders of the Free World is a better album than Seldom Seen Kid? I get shot down for voicing this opinion often, just wondered if anyone at all agreed with me.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Headlining the Pyramid or Other surely, Probably Other. Regardless, if they are there I'll be watching them.

Out of curiosity, anyone else think Leaders of the Free World is a better album than Seldom Seen Kid? I get shot down for voicing this opinion often, just wondered if anyone at all agreed with me.

Yes 4Assed... I think there was less subtlety and melody and sweetness than normal. I like the title track but it does sound a bit like somone else did it and it lacks something I can't quite put my finger on... almost formulaic... but that's still harsh cause it's a fun tune. There's a small number of true Elbow classic moments unlike previous albums which have more of them. TBH I was pretty disappointed on first listen. I'm hoping for a return to form.

Edited by Boris

• 2 months later...

I'm want to go and see them on this arena tour (although I don't think the SECC would do them justice) but I'm rather skint at the moment and it's a choice between my deposit or the tour ticket. I think its a given which I'm going for!

Elbow would be excellent on a sunset slot on the pyramid stage!

Forget Myself is one of the tracks I really like that I had before SSK.

Gave SSK another blast last night and got 3/4 songs in, but nothing grabbed me.

What are the best tracks on SSK? Sometimes to get into the other tracks if they are "around" the other tracks I like.

I'd love them to headline, but can't see that happening next year unless they were playing the other stage.

Not sure about the arena tour though. Saw them at Wembley arena a couple of years ago and it just felt too big for such an intimate band. I know that makes little sense after saying that they should headline glasto, but festivals are different (in my head at least)

I've been a big fan of the last two albums, and love Alseep at the back. Leaders of the free world is a good album, "Great expectations" is a classic Elbow track, "the stops" is class and " my very best" is a great track. SSK is good but both are not a patch on the first two albums. If they play at Glasto i'll be at the front no doubt, but i would prefer a more intimate affair, but i'm afraid its gone past that, if anything they'll be supporting second from the end on one of the nights, probably on the Pyramid, although perhaps headlining the Other on one night. I saw them at the Apple store promoting SSK a couple of years back and that was brilliant, very intimate with only a hundred poeple there. Class!

I saw them for the first time ever on the Other Stage in 2008. Up to that time I never heard any of their tracks and stood 6 rows from the stage in complete awe at the performance. I remember looking around me and seeing the expressions on everyone's faces. It was the highlight of that festival for me.

On before U2 would be a fantastic slot.

Saw them in pretty small venues over the years and I also caught both their performances a couple of years or so ago including the Queens Head set. Also saw them at the MEN Arena in Manchester at the end of the last major tour. I think its fair to say I would rather see them in an intimate venue but they carried off the arena set equally as well.

Don't forget they have played the Pyramid before and all the crowd that were singing along that day appeared on the album ' Cast of Thousands'(me included - "We still believe in love so f**k you !!") They could without doubt justify a high ranking on the main stage bill.

With any justice just after I am Kloot !

Edited by Popsider75

Saw Elbow at Glasto 2008 and V 2009 - but before that at smaller venues in 2002 - 2004;

I always felt that they were my discovery then until they finally got the recognition they so richly deserve. Magical band. I don't care what slot, what stage - I would go see them anywhere.

Just wish they would still do "Powder Blue" - my all time favourite Elbow track; it is so totally perfect!!!

Surprised they aren't a rumour...They are mates of Eavis family, Glasto favourites, and crucially have new album out and they've deliberately had a break from Glasto so as to not over play...

It's time...They will play. Either second from top Pyramid or Headline Other, and outside chance could be headline Pyramid Sunday, (easily fits Glasto's history of giving bands on the cusp of massiveness a chance to headline)...

Surprised they aren't a rumour...They are mates of Eavis family, Glasto favourites, and crucially have new album out and they've deliberately had a break from Glasto so as to not over play...

It's time...They will play. Either second from top Pyramid or Headline Other, and outside chance could be headline Pyramid Sunday, (easily fits Glasto's history of giving bands on the cusp of massiveness a chance to headline)...