Things that ur happy about

BlackHole2006

Managed to buy all the stuff I needed to buy for Shambala this evening. £200 on 'goodies', £40 on fags, £50 on booze, & put £50 worth of petrol into the car (although I'll not use that amount). Got to get out spending money yet! The cost of these festivals can really tot up. Still, it's all done now which means I'll have more time tomorrow evening to see my dad who's not been very well, before heading off on Thursday morning.

On a more intellectual note- I've recently gotten into reading the Discworld novels by Terry Pratchett, they are absolutely fantastic and hilarious.

If you've got into Terry Pratchett you might enjoy exploring his non-Discworld stuff, which I prefer. I''d particularly recommend the trilogy of Truckers, Diggers and Wings - written for children but still a great read for adults. Also Johnny and The Bomb and Good Omens, written with Neil Gaimen,

A particularly fascinating Pratchett read is The Carpet People, which he originally wrote when he was only 16. He revisited it later when he became an established writer and it gives a great insight into how he developed.

If you've got into Terry Pratchett you might enjoy exploring his non-Discworld stuff, which I prefer. I''d particularly recommend the trilogy of Truckers, Diggers and Wings - written for children but still a great read for adults. Also Johnny and The Bomb and Good Omens, written with Neil Gaimen,

A particularly fascinating Pratchett read is The Carpet People, which he originally wrote when he was only 16. He revisited it later when he became an established writer and it gives a great insight into how he developed.

Nice one, at the moment I'm currently reading through the Discworld novels, 2 down- 37 more to go! Have read The Colour Of Magic and The Light Fantastic on a recent holiday and both were brilliant, really well written and very funny, so now I'm onto Equal Rites. After that I'll probably go onto his other books but it'll probably be a very long time before I finish off the Discworld series, he's even releasing another one in September!

Good Omens, written with Neil Gaimen

My favourite comedy of all time. I have given this book as a gift more than almost any other (1984, randomly, is my most gifted book). Everyone should read this book.

I'm a big pratchett fan, buy the new hardback every xmas and then wait for the perfect moment to read it (Snuff is still sat on my coffee table waiting, the time has not been right, you have to associate the time you read the book with a better set of days than I've had so far this year), what I love most is the great turn of phrase (nobby nobbs, disqualified from the human race for shoving) that only a great mind could conceive.

Terry Pratchett is a national treasure, his books might not be the dickens of his day as far as kids will be studying them in the future, but they are great all the same. I'm saddened that his life has taken the turn it has to make him feel the way he does, but I wholeheartedly support him for having the balls to speak out so openly and honestly.

My favourite comedy of all time. I have given this book as a gift more than almost any other (1984, randomly, is my most gifted book). Everyone should read this book.

Couldn't resist your recommendation and have now just bought it off Amazon. I haven't read any Pratchett stuff so this will (hopefully) be a nice introduction (even if another author is also involved).

I have no likes to give left today, but brilliant! you will not be disappointed.

It will also introduce you to Neil Gaiman, who you will later discover you already sort of knew through other media and the darkness of his humour set against the cheery eccentricity of Pratchett is fantastic.

I promise you will recommend it to others when you have read it :)

Nice one, at the moment I'm currently reading through the Discworld novels, 2 down- 37 more to go! Have read The Colour Of Magic and The Light Fantastic on a recent holiday and both were brilliant, really well written and very funny, so now I'm onto Equal Rites. After that I'll probably go onto his other books but it'll probably be a very long time before I finish off the Discworld series, he's even releasing another one in September!

I am a real nerd. Got all his books and Graphic Novels, been to a few plays, got the 6ft theater poster, got the animations and radio plays. The only thing I have not got of his is dementia but I am working on that.
  • Upvote 1

We are not given enough "likes" per day on this forum. "like" for that post mr Rufus.

I loved Rincewind, the witches are also great, but the watch I found harder to enjoy (not saying the books are bad, they are far from it) and in the latter half of his career he has written about the watch more and more often (or sam vimes more specifically). I keep hoping a new Rincewind book will come out each year.

The Tiffany aching books some friends have said they can't even be bothered to read (because they are aimed at a younger audience, yet the same people happily read Harry potter, twilight or hunger games:p) but I also enjoyed those, I felt they had stronger morality tale elements and also Granny Weatherwax, which can only be a good thing.

Damn tooting. Sadly, it's rather obvious link with another film of a similar name might make that difficult.

The sky adaptations are usually pretty good. I was at first concerned about them wanting to use some major name actors in roles where I had, over a period of decades, built up an image in my own mind of the characters, but I was wrong to be concerned.

Paul Darrow was my hero for SO long. He has tried to get a blakes 7 reboot or continuation going for a long, long time and, I believe, partially owns the rights.

A blakes 7 reboot would make me very happy indeed. I re-watched all 4 series last year and, ok, they DO look really cheap and some of the acting IS pretty bad, but the characters, the storyline....classic.