Things that ur happy about

BlackHole2006

Not anything exciting, Some old prog rock, ELP, Yes, Jethro Tull, Jefferson Airship/Starship, Bryan Ferry, AC/DC, loads of one off singles, not really sure - oh and some David Cassidy and Partridge Family from when I was a lovestruck teen.

I'm not even sure if they're still playable, they've moved with us several times, and I haven't had any way of playing them for years.

Edited by feral chile

I've recently been looking for free garden slabs on Gumtree, and cheap garden slabs on ebay. Well, today all my efforts were rewarded as I picked up a stack of almost brand new slabs that someone gave to me. I now have more than enough for my various projects in the rear garden.

The bloke initially said that he didn't want money, but just wanted them shifted. As I finished loading up the van with my second and final load, I thought to myself I've got to at least give this bloke £10 for a drink. I rang on his door bell, he answered but insisted that he didn't want money. He went on to say that as he was renting the property from a social landlord then he couldn't take any money for the slabs, as they were not his to sell. He went on to say that the slabs I have had no grip on them and his young child kept slipping on them. I asked him what he was going to do with the rear garden area now that all the slabs were gone. I thought he was going to say that he is going to turf it. He didn't. he said he was going to astro turf it. Oh well, each to their own. Anyway, I've got the necessary materials for a slab base for my shed so I'm a happy bunny today.

I've recently been looking for free garden slabs on Gumtree, and cheap garden slabs on ebay. Well, today all my efforts were rewarded as I picked up a stack of almost brand new slabs that someone gave to me. I now have more than enough for my various projects in the rear garden.

The bloke initially said that he didn't want money, but just wanted them shifted. As I finished loading up the van with my second and final load, I thought to myself I've got to at least give this bloke £10 for a drink. I rang on his door bell, he answered but insisted that he didn't want money. He went on to say that as he was renting the property from a social landlord then he couldn't take any money for the slabs, as they were not his to sell. He went on to say that the slabs I have had no grip on them and his young child kept slipping on them. I asked him what he was going to do with the rear garden area now that all the slabs were gone. I thought he was going to say that he is going to turf it. He didn't. he said he was going to astro turf it. Oh well, each to their own. Anyway, I've got the necessary materials for a slab base for my shed so I'm a happy bunny today.

My sister has just astro turfed her garden. I'm intrigued to see what it's like.

I picked up the framework for a commercial market stall this evening. It only cost me £100 off Gumtree and will provide the right environment for selling stuff, as well as providing cover (when I get a tarpaulin to cover it) in poor weather. My wife's been buying and selling clothes on ebay for some time now, and wants to branch out into doing weekend markets. I am game to do this too, as it offers me the hope that I don't have to go back to my previous profession once my redundancy money runs out. It mightn't work out, but the fact that there's hope has cheered me up and made me happy.

Sitting in the garden all evening, beauty of a sunset, listening to kenny rogers, drinking red wine, brandy, orange baileys wtf, convincing the dog that kenny's cool, still sat outside when back door is shut with much shaking of head from mrs oneeye; life is just dandy :)

Pretty happy this morning seeing all of my friends getting university offers confirmed after all the hard work that's been done over the past two years! I've luckily been sitting on an unconditional for a while but it does make you over the moon to know that the people you've grown up with are having their dreams come true - so many happy people all over Facebook and twitter right now :)

I hated university with a passion. So much so that I quit during the first term of the second year. I hardly ever went to lectures, and tutorials even less. In fact, I only got through to the second year because a professor at the university who I used to go on the piss with went in and altered some of the marks on my first year term time assignments. He even tried to get me one of the first year exam papers before the exams were to take place! It's not what you know, it's who you know.

Anyway, I woke up happy today and have had a lovely morning chatting to the wife in bed while drinking cava and snorting a few lines of something.

I loved university so much I went and did it twice. I'd be there forever if I had a rich daddy/sugar daddy.

It's a constant source of irritation that I wasn't able to complete my PhD, because my lecturers wanted me to make a career in lecturing, and I found it too difficult to study, work full time, and juggle meagre finances.

Still, if it had been meant to be I'm sure I'd have found a way.

I loved university so much I went and did it twice. I'd be there forever if I had a rich daddy/sugar daddy.

It's a constant source of irritation that I wasn't able to complete my PhD, because my lecturers wanted me to make a career in lecturing, and I found it too difficult to study, work full time, and juggle meagre finances.

Still, if it had been meant to be I'm sure I'd have found a way.

I think I just chose the wrong course and the wrong university. Without any doubt a case of being subjugated by a rich daddy who demanded that that's what I should do, rather than ask me what I wanted to do. Just trying to say, having wealth behind you doesn't always equal having happiness or fulfilment.

I'd also like to say that I admire your tenaciousness in exploring further education where and when you could. I wish I'd had that strength when it was needed.

I think I just chose the wrong course and the wrong university. Without any doubt a case of being subjugated by a rich daddy who demanded that that's what I should do, rather than ask me what I wanted to do. Just trying to say, having wealth behind you doesn't always equal having happiness or fulfilment.

I'd also like to say that I admire your tenaciousness in exploring further education where and when you could. I wish I'd had that strength when it was needed.

Ah didn't think of that. Yes, I'd have resisted getting told what course to do, and luckily we're poor so it was never an issue, and as I was the first generation to go to uni my family were just proud and a little awed.

Ah didn't think of that. Yes, I'd have resisted getting told what course to do, and luckily we're poor so it was never an issue, and as I was the first generation to go to uni my family were just proud and a little awed.

I'm the first in my family to go too - they don't really know how to feel tbh! haha.

Sorry to hear of your experience though Yoghurt - I hope you're doing something you somewhat enjoy now though as the thing is, so many people push their children to go into higher education nowadays like it's the only way to get a good job and be happy but that's far from the case.

If I'm honest, 3 years ago I couldn't have seen myself even doing A-Levels as I had really bad mental health problems that were standing in the way. I didn't even want to go. It wasn't until I discovered a real passion for History that I realised I craved learning more and therefore used that as the incentive. Too many of my friends though are going purely because they feel like they must and that makes me worry about them greatly tbh.

I'm the first in my family to go too - they don't really know how to feel tbh! haha.

Sorry to hear of your experience though Yoghurt - I hope you're doing something you somewhat enjoy now though as the thing is, so many people push their children to go into higher education nowadays like it's the only way to get a good job and be happy but that's far from the case.

If I'm honest, 3 years ago I couldn't have seen myself even doing A-Levels as I had really bad mental health problems that were standing in the way. I didn't even want to go. It wasn't until I discovered a real passion for History that I realised I craved learning more and therefore used that as the incentive. Too many of my friends though are going purely because they feel like they must and that makes me worry about them greatly tbh.

Hello Babyquack.

Yes, I'm currently in a good place as I'm not working at all, but doing a lot of the art / writing stuff that I have always dreamed of. It hasn't come easy mind - I was recently made redundant (albeit that I boxed them in to a corner to make me so) after almost 25 years service. As a result I received a reasonable amount of redundancy money but I'm about half way through that. Not sure what I'm going to do to earn money but know that I don't want to go back to the same area of work that I did before.

I agree with you that a lot of people are pushed into a higher education that they have no commitment to. I'm not a father to any child but know that if I had a child I'd support them in the direction that they wanted to go in and not one of my choosing. Unless they wanted to be a contract killer etc, in which case I'd probably have to have words.

Very happy to hear that you've found history and that your mental health problems seem to be less acute as they were. I've had a history of mental health problems so have an idea of the hurdles you have had to leap to get to where you are now. :)

• Upvote 1

Hello Babyquack.

Yes, I'm currently in a good place as I'm not working at all, but doing a lot of the art / writing stuff that I have always dreamed of. It hasn't come easy mind - I was recently made redundant (albeit that I boxed them in to a corner to make me so) after almost 25 years service. As a result I received a reasonable amount of redundancy money but I'm about half way through that. Not sure what I'm going to do to earn money but know that I don't want to go back to the same area of work that I did before.

I agree with you that a lot of people are pushed into a higher education that they have no commitment to. I'm not a father to any child but know that if I had a child I'd support them in the direction that they wanted to go in and not one of my choosing. Unless they wanted to be a contract killer etc, in which case I'd probably have to have words.

Very happy to hear that you've found history and that your mental health problems seem to be less acute as they were. I've had a history of mental health problems so have an idea of the hurdles you have had to leap to get to where you are now. :)

Hey Yoghurt!

Great to hear you're able to find time to be doing what you love, albeit under circumstances which could have been better. I know we don't know one another but you seem like a really friendly, approachable person so I can only hope that employers these days see these characteristics and value them enough to employ people such as yourself.

You also seem like someone who'd be a great parent to a teenager today as I think that's the number one struggle young people have; too much pressure coming from those around them everyday.

I'd say I'm fully cured now but as you probably know all too well, that's never the case. We all deal with so many problems in life that it can get you down very quickly but I was lucky enough to have a very supporting family as well as the greatest set of friends one could ever ask for - I can only hope you have these too in your life and that you're okay right now as well :)

Hey Yoghurt!

Great to hear you're able to find time to be doing what you love, albeit under circumstances which could have been better. I know we don't know one another but you seem like a really friendly, approachable person so I can only hope that employers these days see these characteristics and value them enough to employ people such as yourself.

You also seem like someone who'd be a great parent to a teenager today as I think that's the number one struggle young people have; too much pressure coming from those around them everyday.

I'd say I'm fully cured now but as you probably know all too well, that's never the case. We all deal with so many problems in life that it can get you down very quickly but I was lucky enough to have a very supporting family as well as the greatest set of friends one could ever ask for - I can only hope you have these too in your life and that you're okay right now as well :)

Babyquack

I'm not too sure how my path will run work wise. As I have a couple of criminal convictions then I may well fall at the first hurdle. It doesn't bother me now though, although it was previously a concern. What will be will be. I know people who would employ me if I couldn't find independent employment, although asking them would be a last resort.

I'm happy to hear that you have a very supporting family and friends. I too am blessed with these, although even their love wasn't enough to hold me back from taking a serious overdose once. Mental health is a curse which only sufferers can truly have an understanding of. Anyway, I'm well away from that now. I met my soul partner about two years ago and married her in May of this year. As long as she is smiling then I'm happy. She'd be OK living in a cardboard box as long as we are together. So would I.

I sincerely wish you good luck for the future.

Yog

• Upvote 1

Right, tonight is going to be party night at my house. One set of neighbours are away on holiday and the other set I have warned accordingly. I don't suppose I have warned them suitably though. As I write the demons that are my friends are probably stirring from their slumbers. I have erected the church pulpit I bought at the end of the garden. The madness and nonsense that will be spouted from that pulpit will be even more ridiculous than religion. There's going to be a lot of fallout from this party but it should be great fun. This thought is making me happy today.

Right, tonight is going to be party night at my house. One set of neighbours are away on holiday and the other set I have warned accordingly. I don't suppose I have warned them suitably though. As I write the demons that are my friends are probably stirring from their slumbers. I have erected the church pulpit I bought at the end of the garden. The madness and nonsense that will be spouted from that pulpit will be even more ridiculous than religion. There's going to be a lot of fallout from this party but it should be great fun. This thought is making me happy today.

Are you an rock/AC/DC fan? That would be a perfect homage to Bon's Let There Be Rock - a re-enactment of the great man.

Are you an rock/AC/DC fan? That would be a perfect homage to Bon's Let There Be Rock - a re-enactment of the great man.

Good morning feral.

My knowledge of rock/AC/DC is extremely close to non existent, so am totally unsure of the homage angle you mention. I'm hazarding a guess that 'Bon' sang from a pulpit on Let There be Rock?