Preventative voice losing measures

charlottesometimes

It's Thursday afternoon and I still have no voice.  It went some time on Saturday after a particularly hairy Friday night at Arcadia, came back for a bit on Sunday and then was totally broken by Justice.

This happens every year.  Any tips for avoiding it apart from not maniacally singing and talking shit for 24 hours a day over the weekend?

It constantly happens to me, so annoying, but this year I took fishermans friends from Thursday onwards, just a couple a day, and I didn't lose it. first time in years. give them a go.

Happened to me too (again). Loudly singing along to great songs is one of life's great pleasures, but it really doesn't do your throat any good - particularly when combined with neat spirits and cigarettes....

In terms of remedies, a spoonful of honey whenever you think about it is great for moistening the throat (that's basically what you're buying with Soothers/Lockets). Ginger is supposed to be good too.

Perhaps only go and see acts you actively dislike or those you had never heard of and those that never pay covers so you can't sing. 

But then there is always the classic line "If you don't know the words just sing along" 

Mine is still a bit croaky. More rum last weekend didn't help and I'm off to Majorca for a hen party this weekend. I'll be singing like Barry white by next week 

Edited by Heather90

My voice went on Friday night - Radiohead and a night in Shangri-la being the final nail in an already croaky coffin. It's taken a week and a half but I've finally graduated from sounding absolutely ridiculous to having what a like to think of as a semi-sexy husk :lol:

Happens every year though. I remember one Global Gathering it totally went and I couldn't talk at all, making lots of pilled-up ransomers who wanted a chat think I was a right miserable dickhead. It's not been that bad since, as I've banned myself from smoking anything at festivals, but still not idea. The throat lozenges I took this year did next to nothing. Will try fishermen's friend next!!!

Obviously I could try not being so loud and obnoxious, but that's unlikely to happen after a few ciders...ha!