Battles of the bogs

stuartbert two hats

Which was worse - 2007 or 2016  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Which was worse - 2007 or 2016

Only done the last 2 years, but last year sitting on my bit of tarp watching Newton Faulkner in the drizzle I was a broken woman. Got my arse up to the park for Nathaniel rateliff and just couldn't get myself into it. Packed up and went home...after joining aa to get a tow. Praying its not like that again this year.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/13/2017 at 10:43 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Everyone's a decade older, mind, which takes its toll.  Anyone over 30 needs a full programme of squats, lunges, deadlifts and lower back exercises so that they can remain standing up for 5 days in a row.

My training started last Friday! Supposedly to aid my recovery from a ruptured Achilles last November, but it's really all about being able to withstand 5 days at Glastonbury. :D

17 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Doing HIIT 3 days a week to ensure that the walk from the Acoustic to The Park calf deep in molten farmland is a doddle.  Core stability also gonna come in useful come June.

After staying in CV E17 a few years back, everything seems easy now. The Acoustic to the Peel is a leisurely stroll.

Doesn't matter if you're Mo Farah, the walk from CV E17 to The Peel or The Park is a c**t. Did it for Yoko, 50 minutes. 50 fucking minutes. 

Worth it for Don't Worry Kyoko I suppose.

http://www.videobash.com/video_show/yoko-ono-plastic-ono-band-don-t-worry-kyoko-at-glastonbury-2014-2458711 

4 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

With all due respect if you must spend your Festival by a long drop you're not going to have a great time.

Satire old son satire long drop.... Long shot.. Not the krypton factor is it.. Is it lol

Peace. G

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

09 wasn't too bad. Lightning storm Thursday evening which made you think oh no not again but rest of weekend was fine IIRC

2009 was one of my favourites. Had a bit of everything. And that Blur performance...

http://archive.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/06/glastonbury_2009.html

2007 was the worst for me. This is only year that I seriously thought about going home early.

2016 was definitely the worst since 2007 (1997 was similar, but worse). We also had our two small kids and a bike trolley with us, which made things interesting, especially when journeying back to the tent in the dark. The top of Wicket ground was utterly utterly grim. However, one good thing about having kids with you is that you can spend lots of time in the kidz field, which is always one of the nicest places onsite when the conditions get bad.

25 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Did it for Yoko, 50 minutes. 50 fucking minutes. 

Worth it for Don't Worry Kyoko I suppose.

http://www.videobash.com/video_show/yoko-ono-plastic-ono-band-don-t-worry-kyoko-at-glastonbury-2014-2458711 

Took about an hour to get up there from the front of he #Dolly pit, though a lot of that was due to the crowd, including folk arriving for Sheeran.

A real highlight, though.  I love her to bits.

13 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Took about an hour to get up there from the front of he #Dolly pit, though a lot of that was due to the crowd, including folk arriving for Sheeran.

A real highlight, though.  I love her to bits.

I was at Yoko and must admit I was baffled by large chunks of it.

Glad I saw it though.

My first Glasto was in 2005 so a good introduction to how the weather can affect a festival. Luckily we were camped up in Dragon Field so didn't get so much as a drop of rain in the tent. Had such a good time that I returned in 2007...that for me was my worst festival in terms of weather with the relentless rain although one of my favourites all round. I was a wuss and didn't return though in 2008 after attending a couple of other festivals that year with similar conditions. Last year our coach broke down on the way from Manchester and by the time we got there it was about 10pm on the Wednesday. Despite me saying to the Glasto virgins in our group to only take what they could carry this most definitely didnt happen (nobody can prepare you though). I had to trek from Gate A to South Park and back 3 times in the very sticky mud which resulted in a rather painful groin strain which then made the rest of the festival a bit tricky to get around in. Despite the mud though 2007 was hands down the worst for me in terms of the conditions.

10 minutes ago, OBface said:

I'm getting there. What starting as watching YouTube clips of the 2005 flood turned into a full on 3 hour Glastonbury binge. Excited :) 

As a slight aside if I may :)

Whatever happened to youtube clips from gigs. I never film anything - too old / drunk / phone to crap for that but have noticed recently that if I take a look back at gigs I was at up until maybe a year or so ago there will be loads of crap phone footage and sometimes the odd decent reminder but of late, from the gigs I`ve been at there is nothing on Youtube ? 

Am I doing it wrong or do the kidz now put it on their instagrammer / facebook and no-one bothers their arse with uploading to youtube now or is it banned or something ?

Happy if anyone has an answer :) Could be I just go to gigs where no-one films anything but that seems unlikely ?

I have to go with 2007 being worse than 2016. 2007 was the first time I'd been and it almost broke me both physically and mentally. I didn't go back the next year and nearly jibbed it for good (thank fuck I didn't!). Just the sheer unrelenting nature of the rain, I can only remember it stopping for about 20 mins during Shirley Bassey on the Sunday. People were visibly broken by Saturday morning.

Whilst last year was tough, as long as you played things smart (no rushing at last minute for headliners and so on) things were do-able. In ten years of going last year was the first time I managed to make it into the SE corner every night.

2014 was not that good.

Wednesday - sunny, great weather

Thursday - Rain

Friday - Rain in the morning, Sun/showers during midday, lighting storn in the afternoon, great sunset/night.

Saturday - A bit of sun. Rained heavily during Robert Plant. 

Sunday - I think no rain here but ground was pretty muddy, specially the Park.

I guess it was alright...

On 3/14/2017 at 11:39 AM, The Nal said:

Ouch, how sore was that?

It's been bad man. Felt like I'd been shot in the back of the leg, but thought I'd just pulled a muscle. Then I went over on my ankle and tore the ankle ligaments to add insult to injury.  "Recovery" has involved 4 weeks in plaster, then 4 weeks in an orthopaedic boot, then 4 weeks learning to walk again with intensive physio. Just started back at the gym to build up strength. Tons better but it's going to the early summer before it feels normal. Just in time for Glasto, YAYY! :D

[Would like to claim it was as a result of a heroic sporting effort, but I was pogoing to a band rocking out to "Smells Like Teen Spirit". Had taken my shoes off so I wouldn't injure myself....:ph34r:.]

Having missed both 2007 and 2016 (surely making me a good luck charm weatherwise), I don't feel qualified to vote but would probably go for the former from anecdotal evidence. Would someone mind telling me which is in the lead?

I guess it depends if you think mud or rain is worse. Obviously both have their shit side but the feeling of being rained on all day (ala Friday of 2011) and cold is just grim. That for five days and I'm not sure I could cope.

Mine tend to have followed a similar pattern - sunny to start, some rain Thursday, muddy for a bit then dry by Sunday. Weird. But rating from best to worst for me, I think:

2010 (the dream!)

I also thought this would be about toilets...

I didn't get to enjoy 2008 or 14 but that seems like a reasonable assessment of things.  The rain on Thursday pattern is one I'm perfectly happy with, I have to say, get it out of the way before the music starts and then you really appreciate the nice weather for the rest of the weekend.  2013 was bang on perfect for that, started about teatime and done by bedtime, rest of the weekend was lush.