themuel

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, henry bear said:

It doesn't really work like that though surely? If they are going to be at Glasto, they'd have been approached a long time back. Can't see it myself but would love to be wrong, if only for my teenage son about to attend his first Glasto. I daren't tell him they're rumoured...

Yeah course they would've been approached, I was just being silly. 

25 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I don't think it matters that it's there for them to be honest and I'm not wanting to keep it alive, I'd feel the need to see them but won't as I'm watching Ed regardless and I have half a mind to get a BST ticket due to Rancid being support so I'm more in favor of this not happening, unless it means that Rancid come with them and play lower down on Other for example. I feel the best place for them though would be Leftfield for some reason bu their rarity should put them higher.

Also, they are just as mainstream as Foo's when it comes to the radio so I'm sticking with if Foo's headline....which of course there would never be a debate then so do GD.

I am not planning on seeing Ed Sheeran. One bit. So I am fully clinging onto the dream. I agree if Foos are headline status, so are GD, without a doubt. I'd have them on the Pyramid. But that ain't gonna happen, so I cling on to them being on the Other and me there reliving my youth at my favourite place.

I want Billy Talent to headline Leftfield. But most things I want don't happen.

23 minutes ago, Perks said:

Yeah course they would've been approached, I was just being silly. 

I am not planning on seeing Ed Sheeran. One bit. So I am fully clinging onto the dream. I agree if Foos are headline status, so are GD, without a doubt. I'd have them on the Pyramid. But that ain't gonna happen, so I cling on to them being on the Other and me there reliving my youth at my favourite place.

I want Billy Talent to headline Leftfield. But most things I want don't happen.

I think I'd go and see Billy Talent headline Leftfield if it was Friday night defo.

I'm unsure you would get a GD crowd into that Other stage field, the best part of 60k would probably go and see them.

4 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I think I'd go and see Billy Talent headline Leftfield if it was Friday night defo.

I'm unsure you would get a GD crowd into that Other stage field, the best part of 60k would probably go and see them.

Yeah that's one thing me fella said wouldn't the other stage be to small for GD. There is that, stop killing my dream!!

the Talent on Leftfield would be something, should right to Bragg and tell him, he's gotta listen to me right?!?

19 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I honestly don't think that number is even halfway realistic.

While he's not a favourite on this forum, Ed Sheeran is significantly more popular than Green Day amongst the mainstream which comprises the bulk of the Glastonbury crowd by any measure you care to use. While I'm sure they'd get one of the largest Other Stage crowds in a few years, the idea that they'd get more than a third of the people on site at the time choosing to see them over Sheeran is crazy - even before you consider the various acts that will be playing elsewhere, or factor out the people who can't watch a headliner due to being on shift.

If it was just those 2 acts playing at the time - maybe, maybe they'd just about exceed the 40,000 capacity of the field. Maybe. But as soon as you add in the various options people will have, I'm certain that the field will be well within capacity.

5 minutes ago, incident said:

I honestly don't think that number is even halfway realistic.

While he's not a favourite on this forum, Ed Sheeran is significantly more popular than Green Day amongst the mainstream which comprises the bulk of the Glastonbury crowd by any measure you care to use. While I'm sure they'd get one of the largest Other Stage crowds in a few years, the idea that they'd get more than a third of the people on site at the time choosing to see them over Sheeran is crazy - even before you consider the various acts that will be playing elsewhere, or factor out the people who can't watch a headliner due to being on shift.

If it was just those 2 acts playing at the time - maybe, maybe they'd just about exceed the 40,000 capacity of the field. Maybe. But as soon as you add in the various options people will have, I'm certain that the field will be well within capacity.

There will be about 180k punters around at the time with probably 20k working, averages of 80-90 I'd say attending Sheeran, 50-60k for other and 30-40k elsewhere.

Either way I think they are way too big for it as some will have got Sheeran your tickets and many will choose GD over BST as  other re that'll sell out by May. 

Edited by thewayiam

17 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Surely if Metallica agreed to headline the OS, it's quite possible that Green Day could too? I agree it's unlikely though,

While I believe Neil that it was set to happen, I'll start believing in the possibility of these headline-sized future Other headliners (and Pyramid subs) when they actually start happening.

Besides, Metallica had been quoted a couple of times saying they want to play Glastonbury and mentioned Michael Eavis' name (so they obviously knew enough about the fest to know who the founder is) so they were always more likely to accept that slot in lieu of a Pyramid headline slot. Glad they got the Pyramid go in the end as it does seem to have meant a lot to Lars.

Edited by dentalplan

1 hour ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

Green Day didn't allow their set to be televised when they headlined T in the Park. I wonder if their stance has changed. Actually, now I think about it, that may be more to do with the fact they were releasing Bullet in a Bible with the Milton Keynes gig.

Their whole Reading set was televised in 2013

35 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

There will be about 180k punters around at the time with probably 20k working, averages of 80-90 I'd say attending Sheeran, 50-60k for other and 30-40k elsewhere.

I think what you're trying to suggest here (as it's the only way your maths work out) is that there'll be 180,000 members of the public and 20,000 workers on site for a total of ~200,000 watching bands?

In which case your numbers are definitely miles off. Based on past years, the total peak on site (ie all public/staff/trader ticket types combined) is typically around/just over 180,000 and while it's difficult to pin down how many are non-workers due to Hospitality and Children coming out of the Staff allocation, there's no chance the number of public will be anywhere near as high as you seem to be suggesting. The Festival couldn't function if they were.

9 minutes ago, incident said:

I think what you're trying to suggest here (as it's the only way your maths work out) is that there'll be 180,000 members of the public and 20,000 workers on site for a total of ~200,000 watching bands?

In which case your numbers are definitely miles off. Based on past years, the total peak on site (ie all public/staff/trader ticket types combined) is typically around/just over 180,000 and while it's difficult to pin down how many are non-workers due to Hospitality and Children coming out of the Staff allocation, there's no chance the number of public will be anywhere near as high as you seem to be suggesting. The Festival couldn't function if they were.

There is a 203k ticket capacity.

The numbers are only averages, I haven't gone round and counted everyone lol. The other year for example Jurassic 5's crowd at WHs was way bigger than Underworlds crowd last year.

1 minute ago, thewayiam said:

There is a 203k ticket capacity.

The numbers are only averages, I haven't gone round and counted everyone lol. The other year for example Jurassic 5's crowd at WHs was way bigger than Underworlds crowd last year.

No, the numbers you gave are not averages. They're estimates, and not especially good ones considering that the licence details and some of the real numbers for previous years are publicly available so no counting needed. The total of public tickets, was, and remains, 135,000 Weekend + 5,000 Sunday.

The 203,000 number does exist as a theoretical maximum but as far as I've seen or heard the Festival has never had that many on site, or even within 20,000 of it. When the total was raised, it was made clear by both GFL and MDC that the increase would be for Staff only. It was also said that the number was being set deliberately high in order to ensure that the Festival had the flexibility to adjust numbers as needed in the future and to be able to ticket everyone (specifically performers) without having to worry quite as much about exactly how many people were on site at any given time.

2 hours ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

Green Day didn't allow their set to be televised when they headlined T in the Park. I wonder if their stance has changed. Actually, now I think about it, that may be more to do with the fact they were releasing Bullet in a Bible with the Milton Keynes gig.

It was televised when they played reading and Leeds 

edit: just seen someone else said the same! Should really put my glasses on!

Edited by Lucy92

10 minutes ago, incident said:

No, the numbers you gave are not averages. They're estimates, and not especially good ones considering that the licence details and some of the real numbers for previous years are publicly available so no counting needed. The total of public tickets, was, and remains, 135,000 Weekend + 5,000 Sunday.

The 203,000 number does exist as a theoretical maximum but as far as I've seen or heard the Festival has never had that many on site, or even within 20,000 of it. When the total was raised, it was made clear by both GFL and MDC that the increase would be for Staff only. It was also said that the number was being set deliberately high in order to ensure that the Festival had the flexibility to adjust numbers as needed in the future and to be able to ticket everyone (specifically performers) without having to worry quite as much about exactly how many people were on site at any given time.

I guarantee you there is more than 135k and 140k on site on a Sunday easily! There is too many on site which is why there are too many slow queues and they could do with decreasing the amount of people allowed in.

18 hours ago, dentalplan said:

While I believe Neil that it was set to happen, I'll start believing in the possibility of these headline-sized future Other headliners (and Pyramid subs) when they actually start happening.

Besides, Metallica had been quoted a couple of times saying they want to play Glastonbury and mentioned Michael Eavis' name (so they obviously knew enough about the fest to know who the founder is) so they were always more likely to accept that slot in lieu of a Pyramid headline slot. Glad they got the Pyramid go in the end as it does seem to have meant a lot to Lars.

didn't neil come forward and say that he thinks they were intended for the pyramid the whole time now?

13 minutes ago, jparx said:

Prince and Metallica clash would have been ridiculous tbh.

indeed... GladI didn't have that conundrum.  Not sure what I would have picked.... Prince would've probably swayed me as I have seen him before (many times), but I am glad in the end I went metallica a