New Area

Charm

11 minutes ago, guinness_guzzler said:

If I've read everything right (which I probably haven't) then the saxon market between other stage and silver hayes is being replaced by a soundsystem area and the glade area has grown with more stages and the removal of the market stalls.

Sandwiched between these 2 areas is the other stage. Could the big secret be that the other stage is moving to accomodate these 2 areas - or 1 new big late night area??

But where could it move to??

It's being built in it's usual place as we speak: recent_full.jpg

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps the Other Stage is secretly being built on casters.

At the last minute they could spin it around.

Kylie is the secret act, performing Spin It Around on the Other Stage as they move it to a new spot to make room for shangri la 2.

God I'm so bored right now.

1 hour ago, richroet said:

Arcadia was much further back in that field much closer to the railway track. Even further back there was a tent up that way the name I can't recall.

So yes there has been history of music around there but always came with issues - the ten had sound issues and bleed to/from other stage. Arcadia had crowd issues after the headliner as people waited for the performance to start

I know this map is not perfect, but it does show Arcadia very close to where S2H highlighted the growler2013map.png

22 hours ago, alanr said:

I know this map is not perfect, but it does show Arcadia very close to where S2H highlighted the growler2013map.png

Yes thats right at the back of the Other Stage field. My point was just that the Growler was at the front of the field next to the back stage area along the track towards Leftfield 

23 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Seems like the markets may have had a shake up this year. I am aware that Fairylove have moved - they used to be in T&C and by leftfield and last year they moved (I can;t remember where), this year they will be ' Willow 02/13' ... which according to Shelley who runs the stall is 'up the main drag, turn left at the tiny tea tent and along a bit on the right hand side ' .....

Anyone seen if the WI cake stall will be there again ?

So part of the re-jig with Fluffy Rock Cafe dropping out

6 minutes ago, VolumetricFox said:

No Fluffy Rock :( . Egg banjo was excellent value and tasty eggs.

Oh no, went there a few times last year, sure they will be missed as their food was really cheap. 

Charm x

42 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Que pasa with the Fluffy Rock?  Why's it not going to be there?

This is sad news - loved the fluffy folk.

Whatever the official reason they weren't very happy last year - having a right old moan about what they saw as restrictive practices. Glastonbury, according to the cafe, insist on the traders buying supplies from them centrally. I presume the festival would say this is ensure they are ethically sourced and its the only practical way to do things but the traders (or at least these ones) saw it as an opportunity to charge them hiked up prices which made it hard to turn a profit. 

The truth, perhaps, lies somewhere inbetween, but as a regular purchaser of their excellent £2 egg sandwich I will miss them. Seemed like decent folk who offered a fair deal.

On 15/05/2017 at 0:39 PM, p.pete said:

Could be - reading the site update thread it sounds like they're trying to disuade visitors from giving away secrets and locking down the site earlier than normal

Edit - having said that, didn't she say something about '6 months'?  presumably a new area would be a lot longer in preparation.  Not that there isn't a new area, just that it may not be 'the' secret.

Yeah im sure i read that she said she had "had it booked for 6 month". So surely its an act booked to play no?

5 minutes ago, MarkBarron said:

Yeah im sure i read that she said she had "had it booked for 6 month". So surely its an act booked to play no?

This is from the article, sounds like an act and an area.

Charm x

"We've managed to keep some big secrets recently and there's a couple more this year that haven't gone out yet as well.

"There's a really big one. I haven't even hinted or told anyone it's coming and we've managed to keep it completely quiet for the first time ever."

I'm just pleased we've managed to keep it secret for this long. We've had it for about six months.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 9:21 AM, big__phil said:

There's some damn good eating around there - I hope nobody loses their spot!

Nice idea though if it's a late night area, as it'll hopefully spread more people around between SE Corner, Park/Arcadia and now Saxon/Silver Hayes.

I hope so, love the SE corner but the crushing last year was not much fun and put me off a bit tbh.

Arcadia was right next to the other stage in 2013 and it didn't really work in my opinion. I think at that time there was a question mark over where to put it. The location is fine now so I can't imagine Arcadia moving again. 

As for the new area if indeed there is one, I think its perfect timing to create a new area away from the naughty corner. I haven't been to the SE corner at night due to the ques so perhaps this year I might get the opportunity.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2017 at 1:33 PM, 5co77ie said:

So part of the re-jig with Fluffy Rock Cafe dropping out

Just spoke to Brad who ran it last year, and he said there may be a chance that the café will still be there (Scotty might be able to confirm yea or nay) but definitely not the stage. Sad news though indeed, great venue, they weren't even in the area affected by this move if I've read it right, but maybe the stalls near the Other stage have taken up the space they would have had :(

23 hours ago, billum said:

Just spoke to Brad who ran it last year, and he said there may be a chance that the café will still be there (Scotty might be able to confirm yea or nay) but definitely not the stage. Sad news though indeed, great venue, they weren't even in the area affected by this move if I've read it right, but maybe the stalls near the Other stage have taken up the space they would have had :(

i just heard the stage was gone - the venue may still be there i guess

I notice that 2 artists that self-confirmed for the "Saxon Market" area this year aren't on the full-lineup: Jasper Storey and Bronwyn Leonard, the latter said that she's performing 3 sets there over the weekend, yet isn't anywhere on the full lineup page.

I can only assume that this area is still to be announced officially, and times/stages will come after that.

Edited by ghostdancer1