russycarps

Flaming lips

Have a new album of original material out in January, and a new single out NOW.

it's been a while since they put in one of the top 3 other stage gigs of all time so they are due a return.

I'm thinking John Peel headliner. Who's in??

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Yeah...they're due a return and JPT headliner feels do-able.  Radiohead sub also feels like it would work.

The Castle didn't really make much impact with me, mind.

one more quite likely looking stage headliner (think dental mentioned they're at a European festival around Glastonbury time) who'll end up as part of some awful inevitable clash. new song isn't anything mind blowing but it's nice to see them come back from the total doom and gloom of their previous two albums (although i loved both)

Never managed to see them live so would definitely head along, clashes permitting. 

Do they still chuck in 'Do You Realize?' to their live sets? 

5 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Never managed to see them live so would definitely head along, clashes permitting. 

Do they still chuck in 'Do You Realize?' to their live sets? 

they've been closing with it at their latest shows, but obviously they'll have a new album out come Glastonbury time. can't see them not playing it at a festival though

It could always change, but whenever Iv6e seen Larry Lips and the lads live they've always made good with bringing out the big guns.  They tend to favour joyous celebration over baffling folk with oblique new music.

I'm definitely in - I need at least a yearly 'fix' - and have already got tickets for Brixton in January.  I must insist that I get to see Steven perform this again though 

http://flaminglips.com/video/17454/

Strange thing happened last year - for the first time ever, and I have seen multiple performances, 'Do You Realize' was not included ......

38 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Have a new album of original material out in January, and a new single out NOW.

it's been a while since they put in one of the top 3 other stage gigs of all time so they are due a return.

I'm thinking John Peel headliner. Who's in??

Im 100% all over this idea. (I posted about it last night)

Saturday or Sunday JP headliner would be perfect for me.

Never really given them much airtime but I gather their live shows are exceptional, where would one start? Which albums should I begin with? 

I'd think for a big festival performance they'd bring it out even if they're a bit sick of it.

The scenes in 2010 when they played it... It was beautiful.

edit:  Do You Realize, I mean.

Edited by scaryclaireyfairy

2 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Never really given them much airtime but I gather their live shows are exceptional, where would one start? Which albums should I begin with? 

The Soft Bulletin 

1 minute ago, nikkic said:

The Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots are their two most accessible and get a lot of air time at their live shows (and probably widely regarded as best) so start with them two

30 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

they've been closing with it at their latest shows, but obviously they'll have a new album out come Glastonbury time. can't see them not playing it at a festival though

18 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

I'd think for a big festival performance they'd bring it out even if they're a bit sick of it.

The scenes in 2010 when they played it... It was beautiful.

edit:  Do You Realize, I mean.

Good to hear guys, even as a casual fan I love it. I've always thought it'd make a good funeral song :lol:

I think that new song will sound huge live. You can just tell the bits where Stephen will crank the sound up to the max. Really excited for this album!

Absolutely up for this. Radiohead sub or JPT headliner against Sheeran. Let's do it.

Oh, just remembered that they were performing Soft Bulletin last year, so would probably explain the absence of Do You Realize - but I'm fairly sure they had this at the encore of the Soft Bulletin performance at Alexandra Palace in 2011?

Anyway, I am fairly sure there is no way they wouldn't end a set at Glastonbury without it - remembering the emotional end at 2010 - oh dear that's set me off again ......... 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, nikkic said:

As mentioned, Soft Bulletin is ace, if you like some darker psychedelia the more recent Embryonic is interesting.

And if you're completely hooked, you can always check out their 24 hour song (Yes, really!) here, see how far you get:

https://archive.org/details/The24HourSongSkull-TheFlamingLips-2011

I've never really listened to them, but they headlined the Friday night at Rockness one year and put on one of the best live performances I've ever seen. 

Edited by The Orgazoid

Clouds taste metallic is also well worth checking out, possibly my favourite one they've done. Ronald Jones was a tremendous guitarist

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

new song isn't anything mind blowing but it's nice to see them come back from the total doom and gloom of their previous two albums (although i loved both)

Still kinda dour though. If that's the lead single then I don't think those days are over yet.

would be awesome! i have been a dancer on stage in a wizard of oz costume

and allready got tickets for utrecht in january. mindblowing!

:wub:

• Upvote 1