Hip Hop, Rap, Grime 2017

Damy

8 hours ago, Alex DeLarge said:

New Wiley album sounds fantastic, a lot more grime than Kano and Skepta's records and really shows why he's the Godfather.

It's a shame he'll never be let back in the farm. :P

Had Radio One on in the car today and Shazam-ed a Wiley song because I was really enjoying it. Might check out the album.

How come he won't be let back on the farm?

9 hours ago, Alex DeLarge said:

New Wiley album sounds fantastic, a lot more grime than Kano and Skepta's records and really shows why he's the Godfather.

It's a shame he'll never be let back in the farm. :P

I guess it's more like the classic 'grime' sound because the classic sound was Wiley's. Can't blame others for trying to evolve the sound or it'll just be those panflutes until the end of time. :P

But yeah, I like it a lot. Proper throwback. Hope it can get somewhere near as much love as the two records you mentioned did.

I've thought about it and I don't think it's impossible that he could come back. Wiley could have realised he was a jackass that day and Silver Hayes could reach out to him so to not just have the same grime line up year-on-year. Fingers crossed anyway.

Edited by dentalplan

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I guess it's more like the classic 'grime' sound because the classic sound was Wiley's. Can't blame others for trying to evolve the sound or it'll just be those panflutes until the end of time. :P

But yeah, I like it a lot. Proper throwback. Hope it can get somewhere near as much love as the two records you mentioned did.

I love the classic sound at the beginning of the album but laptop really struck me as amazing as well, that beat is nuts.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I've thought about it and I don't think it's impossible that he could come back. Wiley could have realised he was a jackass that day and Silver Hayes could reach out to him so to not just have the same grime line up year-on-year. Fingers crossed anyway.

Yeah, I hope you're right, Wiley would be a fantastic edition to the line-up and I'd be there in a heartbeat.

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/01/2017 at 2:30 AM, dentalplan said:

Wiley tweeted a week or so ago backtracking on a lot of things he'd said about Glastonbury in the past, pretty sure he's going to be there this year.

Anyone listened to the new 'Migos' album? any chance of them being at the farm this year?

I reckon this year they're going to try and push the grime angle again with less hip-hop, especially with Wiley's self confirmation and Stormzy's tour dates and new album on the way.

If they do try it again, they need to get JME to show up, that'd be one of the highlights of the festival for me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Has anyone called it coke rap since then? :P

Good for them. Not my thing - in fact B&B proper makes me question my grasp on pop culture in 2017 - but that whole scene deserves its day in the sun. Do wonder how big it can take them. Travi$ headlining second stage at Coachella and high up at Bonnaroo is fairly huge so I guess he's in with the best shot of becoming a household name.

Edited by dentalplan

10 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Has anyone called it coke rap since then? :P

Good for them. Not my thing - in fact B&B proper makes me question my grasp on pop culture in 2017 - but that whole scene deserves its day in the sun. Do wonder how big it can take them. Travi$ headlining second stage at Coachella and high up at Bonnaroo is fairly huge so I guess he's in with the best shot of becoming a household name.

I'm not a big trap fan. This song however is a monster. Certified banger.

I won't hear otherwise.

3 hours ago, ConorC said:

I'm not a big trap fan. This song however is a monster. Certified banger.

I won't hear otherwise.

Have to admit it's catchy as everyone says - I just can't be doing with it. I understand why hundreds of millions can tho. Never thought I'd feel like a square for listening to TDE and Yeezy in 2017 but Migos have managed to achieve that. :P

9 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Have to admit it's catchy as everyone says - I just can't be doing with it. I understand why hundreds of millions can tho. Never thought I'd feel like a square for listening to TDE and Yeezy in 2017 but Migos have managed to achieve that. :P

To be fair I don't think Migos have really took off over here yet. Similar bracket to Future, massive in the US but still an element of unknown about him here.

If Migos ended up on the farm I imagine they'd be in JP/Silver Hayes. TDE acts/yeezy wouldn't be!

Edited by ConorC

10 minutes ago, Jobseeker said:

Ooooh! Didn't he play a couple of years back? Have a feeling I stupidly missed it.

Subbed John Peel in 2014 yeah. I saw Bonobo instead which in hindsight was a big mistake, although I did catch Chance the following week at Wireless, but unfortunately he was midday to a pretty small and uninterested crowd. Would love him to appear but I don't think the tour dates really lend themselves to that unless he announces more European dates in July.

Edited by FloorFiller