NFR NFC 2017 - The friendly thread for lovely people

Quark

22 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

Did you hear any of King Eider, Quark? They were one of many on my list of possibles at glasto that I didn't manage to see. 

Caught the very tail end it not enough to comment. I'd listened to one of their albums in advance but it really didn't grab me. Seemed to be a concept album about ducks, although I didn't give it a second listen .

Based on @pilton digger's review I may try again! What album would you suggest?

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, pilton digger said:

They were good.  I saw their short set at the competition and was impressed.  With a full set they did the job, very Alt-J in places and quite intricate.  They definitely have a copy of An Awesome Wave in the van, the intro to the last song was basically Tessellate. Worth seeing if you get a chance. 

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Caught the very tail end it not enough to comment. I'd listened to one of their albums in advance but it really didn't grab me. Seemed to be a concept album about ducks, although I didn't give it a second listen .

Based on @pilton digger's review I may try again! What album would you suggest?

Cheers both. I'll try to get along to see them if they play again. 

I quite like the sound of a concept album about ducks! :) 

31 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Evening all.

Hi Dusty how are you?  Are all your injured bits fully healed now?

Am jealous of all you guys still doing festivals, albeit soggy ones. 

Have I missed the announcement of T day or is everyone just assuming it's 2nd October?

@mr gumby what's the alcohol you use for elderberry port?  I think I have some that's been 'maturing' ie forgotten for about 20 years,  but can't remember how I made it.

24 minutes ago, dizzymoo said:

@mr gumby what's the alcohol you use for elderberry port?  I think I have some that's been 'maturing' ie forgotten for about 20 years,  but can't remember how I made it.

Hi dizzy. I'm not doing it as an infusion, I'm basically making a fruit wine using a yeast strain that tolerates higher alcohol than most, so it ends up stronger than average. I'm using a mixture of elderberries, blackberries and sloes, and I'll just keep adding sugar until the alcohol kills off the yeast at around 20%. I know some people make normal sweetish wine and just add some brandy to increase the strength at the end, but it's cheaper to just make it stronger from scratch. I reckon it'll work out at about 50p a bottle :) 

2 hours ago, dizzymoo said:

Hi Dusty how are you?  Are all your injured bits fully healed now?

All good. Still got a broken right arm so can't work., financially embarrassed but wont let that stand in the way of a good party. Got a blag into End Of The Road last w/e. King Gizz and The Oh Sees were epic! Not my usual festi but I'll be back again. Wonderful ,

Rotten hole in leg now fine.... should anyone want photos, more than happy to put you off your supper and pm them :)  x

Edited by Sawdusty Surfer

7 hours ago, sheffieldlady said:

Sounds like everyone is having fun / busy weekends. I went to Dublin for a hen weekend. It was a messy one, but muchos fun. I'm on a booze break until October now. I need to get some healthy items into my body! 

Hope everyone is well!!!

Finbarr! ;) 

7 hours ago, MadScientist said:

Anxious about T day. Didn't get a sniff this year after trying mainsale, resale and secret resale but got there by working for Oxfam. Hoping to get tix this year! Hopefully will have better luck this time with 4 of us trying rather than 2 

Yeah, I worked one year when I couldn't get tickets, but I'd rather pay the money and not have to work it, really. Just goes to show, though, there are ways and means if you really want to be there! 

9 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

All good. Still got a broken right arm so can't work., financially embarrassed but wont let that stand in the way of a good party. Got a blag into End Of The Road last w/e. King Gizz and The Oh Sees were epic! Not my usual festi but I'll be back again. Wonderful ,

Rotten hole in leg now fine.... should anyone want photos, more than happy to put you off your supper and pm them :)  x

Blimey Dusty, didn't realise you were in that many bits!  When's your arm likely (in theory) to be fixed?

Had the joys at the weekend of Mrs Q discovering the hard way that she just doesn't have the same capacity for booze as she did when she was a student!  Somehow I seemed to cope though; think Glastonbury is like my annual tolerance top up! :drinks:

Still figuring out what to do this weekend.  Always The Sun in Guildford on Sunday, but if I drink then I have to stay away and logistics on Monday become a massive ballache, effectively wasting the day's holiday I'd need to take.  I may (whisper this one) have a couple in the afternoon and leave it at that....:blink:

Edited by Quark

10 hours ago, sheffieldlady said:

Sounds like everyone is having fun / busy weekends. I went to Dublin for a hen weekend. It was a messy one, but muchos fun. I'm on a booze break until October now. I need to get some healthy items into my body! 

Hope everyone is well!!!

My fun consisted of work and taking my 84 year old grandad shopping. It was quite embarrassing. He was off like a whippet and I was hobbling along behind him trying to keep up shouting 'grandad you're 84 man! Slow down!' He's the most amazing man

Morning! 

Nice to see you, Dusty! Think I'll pass on the pics though....

I'm a busy bee at the mo. Work, home, getting ready for hols, accidentally getting drunk at the weekend.... ;) 

This talk of booze concoctions reminds me I must get some pineapple gin on the go for crimble! 

2 hours ago, lucyginger said:

Morning! 

Nice to see you, Dusty! Think I'll pass on the pics though....

I'm a busy bee at the mo. Work, home, getting ready for hols, accidentally getting drunk at the weekend.... ;) 

This talk of booze concoctions reminds me I must get some pineapple gin on the go for crimble! 

Accidently getting drunk is the best kind of getting drunk. 

7 hours ago, mr gumby said:

Yeah, I worked one year when I couldn't get tickets, but I'd rather pay the money and not have to work it, really. Just goes to show, though, there are ways and means if you really want to be there! 

Yeah I learnt that this year. Not gonna try the secret resale again I don't think cos it was way too stressful so if I don't get a ticket in the main sale i'll just apply to oxfam in feb or whenever it is then cancel glasto from theat if i get a ticket in the resale. I plan on doing a few festivals with oxfam next year I just don't fancy working glasto!

On ‎06‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 2:06 PM, Quark said:

Last year was my first time through in 5 attempts.  Actually got through twice but the page froze as I was making my second run to pick up secondary friends' tickets!

That's when I catch my breath and panic putting in all the details in time.

20 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Evening all.

Hi Sawdusty, sorry to hear about your arm and leg still.  Hope it all gets sorted sharpish.

Afternoon all, focus comes back on life now, after all sorts going on over the Summer.  No gigs since LCD Soundsystem in Somerset, that's how bad it's been.  Hope life is good for you lot, get your fingers in order for October though.

Warm handshakes, y'all.

Hi every one, sorry not been around for a while but working on house and other stuff has taken life over.  Nearly broken the back of the major outside jobs on the house which is a big relief as summer is coming to a end :( 

hope everyone has had a great summer, will spend a few hours catching up on thread over the next few evening.

happy to hammer f5 on either ticket day for anyone that needs help.

Hugs X 

1 minute ago, Mr Splodge said:

Hi every one, sorry not been around for a while but working on house and other stuff has taken life over.  Nearly broken the back of the major outside jobs on the house which is a big relief as summer is coming to a end :( 

hope everyone has had a great summer, will spend a few hours catching up on thread over the next few evening.

happy to hammer f5 on either ticket day for anyone that needs help.

Hugs X 

Hi Splodge and Mrs Splodge!! Glad to hear things are coming together. I miss your happy smiling faces x