Other Stage 2017

Gucci Piggy

On 7/9/2016 at 4:54 PM, djdavejohnson said:

Ah ok, felt momentarily disheartened. Thought you'd shattered my 'Must see Pendulum live' dream!

For the record (for those that do like them) I've heard great things about them live, although only ever seen a couple of vids myself. Anyone seen them that can provide an informed opinion? 

seen them about 10 years ago play top a couple of hundred in small venue, they absolutely smashed it*

*Having said that i was absolutely smashed myself

Edited by gerardfenton18

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I met a man in the pub this afternoon who spied my Yeo Valley tote bag identified me as somebody who'd be interested in his completely mental Glastonbury related ramblings. He told me he'd come to the realisation about 3 days after getting home this year, that he is the Other Stage in human form and has been for quite some time now. The Other Stage assured me he'd be going full on METAL \m/ in 2017, and that I'd really enjoy it. That's great news for all of us really, not least willutalk.

Just now, Mezhyp1 said:

The rumoured Smashing Pumpkins classic line up reunion must be in with a shot of the headline slot they should have got a few years back 

nah if Billy is going through with this then surely it'll be for the big bucks headlining shows. not sure what festival they could/would do over here, and tbh i can't imagine what people/festival organisers would be getting particularly excited about it either. very few full band reformations have meant as little as this one imo, as Billy was always the Pumpkins anyway, and Jimmy (the only other one who was a major contributor) has been there for most of the way too

19 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

nah if Billy is going through with this then surely it'll be for the big bucks headlining shows. not sure what festival they could/would do over here, and tbh i can't imagine what people/festival organisers would be getting particularly excited about it either. very few full band reformations have meant as little as this one imo, as Billy was always the Pumpkins anyway, and Jimmy (the only other one who was a major contributor) has been there for most of the way too

There'll be a decent amount of people that'll be interested in this. Not the amount that Billy probably thinks but they're a big enough band anyway so if the media hype it up then it should go down pretty well. Doesn't mean shit to me because, as you say it's all about Billy and he already has the one other talented OG member in his current band but if there are people that really can't do with seeing the band without twenty years older James and D'Arcy then whatever; bigger shows would be cool.

Reckon BST will get them if the tour actually happens. Mostly because they've got money to throw around and will take seemingly anything. 

The Other slot was headlining anyway, mezhyp. They played for as long as all the other headliners, played for longer than the darkness-loving band after. I can't believe people are still denying this. :P

Edited by dentalplan

only benefit to this is i imagine the shows will include a lot more (if not be entirely made of) older material. Billy's comments that he is forming a new band with Jeff Schroeder leads me to think he may continue making new music with that and just use the Pumpkins to tour the old stuff for a while and then undoubtedly disband (as he's made it pretty clear he's fully aware that nobody's particularly arsed about new Pumpkins stuff)

There aren't many full reunions that excite me as a prospect, but I have to say that a full Pumpkins line up has me very excited.  

I made a rare exception when they played the Other before as I don't normally make a point of seeing bands where the lead singer and his ego are the only original members still going, but loved it anyway.  Throw in Iha, Wretzky and Chamberlain and I would, I believe it's called, lose my shit.

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

There aren't many full reunions that excite me as a prospect, but I have to say that a full Pumpkins line up has me very excited.  

I made a rare exception when they played the Other before as I don't normally make a point of seeing bands where the lead singer and his ego are the only original members still going, but loved it anyway.  Throw in Iha, Wretzky and Chamberlain and I would, I believe it's called, lose my shit.

to me, ten years on from that first reformation and with multiple albums having already been released under the Pumpkins name since, and with Billy making it pretty clear over the past couple of years that he isn't interested in reliving the past, i can't see it as anything other than a cash grab if it happens

but that said, if i saw the setlists were gonna be strictly 90's Pumpkins and nothing else, i'd struggle to not be itching to go to one of the shows, as that would be fantastic

18 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

to me, ten years on from that first reformation and with multiple albums having already been released under the Pumpkins name since, and with Billy making it pretty clear over the past couple of years that he isn't interested in reliving the past, i can't see it as anything other than a cash grab if it happens

but that said, if i saw the setlists were gonna be strictly 90's Pumpkins and nothing else, i'd struggle to not be itching to go to one of the shows, as that would be fantastic

Agreed.  Plus the Pumpkins are responsible for my favourite album of all time, and it's never the one that people expect,.

Adore. Can never ever get bored of listening to it.

the obvious one, Simaese Dream, for me. likewise, i just never trire of listening to it. he ruled out doing any full album shows quite recently, but if we were guaranteed some not yet played songs from around that period, and the likes of 1979 and Mayonaise becoming staples, then i'm all for it!

• 4 months later...

I would love Franz Ferdinand to open this stage next year, I think they'd smash it. Thoughts?

Either way, could be playing somewhere at the festival I hope. They're recording a new album which I'd have though would be released by June :) one date already announced for 2017 :D 

4 minutes ago, plaskins said:

I would love Franz Ferdinand to open this stage next year, I think they'd smash it. Thoughts?

Either way, could be playing somewhere at the festival I hope. They're recording a new album which I'd have though would be released by June :) one date already announced for 2017 :D 

well you'd think they'd certainly make a better go of it than most of the previous openers

would've had them as a JP headliner but considering they already did that as FFS last year i doubt they'd return to do the same so i'm not sure where i'd stick em