Madabout G

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

Loved ELO but the atmosphere was a bit flat. Maybe it's just me but I'd prefer more like that than watching Dolly mime to a field full of people wearing fake, plastic tits (worst Radiohead cover, ever) and blonde wigs.

I watched the Barry Gibb bit the other night, absolutely fucking dreadful. A voice like finger nails down a blackboard, I fear he's a certainty for next year though.

ELO are the very definition of sad old bastard music. I don't hate a lot of music - dislike a lot - but I genuinely hate ELO's blandness. It offends me. Really dull songs played well. Yaay!  

Couldn't hear Baz Gibb in the crowd due to everyone singing but yeah, a bit Orville these days. Was half expecting to see Keith Harris' hand up his arse at one point. 

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

ELO are the very definition of sad old bastard music. I don't hate a lot of music - dislike a lot - but I genuinely hate ELO's blandness. It offends me. Really dull songs played well. Yaay!  

Couldn't hear Baz Gibb in the crowd due to everyone singing but yeah, a bit Orville these days. Was half expecting to see Keith Harris' hand up his arse at one point. 

Thats what I expected when I got there and the reason I wasn't arsed about seeing them 

I thought they were ok though and near me people were enjoying it. 

From my perspective it looked like ELO were just going through the motions and could have been anywhere.  While the weather didn't help there was no crowd interaction I don't believe he really spoke at all- I expected a bit of fun around 'Mr. Blue Sky' given it was so grey at the time but no straight into it.  Felt like thery were just getting thriugh the set as fast as they could and move on.  I have never seen them before so that may just be the way Jeff Lynne is but with so many good songs I felt the delivery was poor and they could have done more to get the audience involved and lift the spirirts given the shitty weather....

I may get ridiculed for this -

A group of us were talking about next year's legends spot and who it could be and many of us thought that a bit of Belinda Carlise may be good fun! Many of us grew up with her and she apparently has a new album next year. Is she a legend though? Maybe not big enough for that slot...

Some of us also said MeatLoaf which could be great fun!

Edited by Larraht

1 hour ago, Jugtanion said:

What about chic in the legends slot. Nile Rogers would love to come back after the barnstorming west holts set of 2013 and would want to pull a serious crowd. And they've got a good mix of dancey and slower numbers which could suit a Sunday afternoon crowd. I think it would be a departure from the 'cheese' but could work. Plus ELO saidto me that a part of the huge crowd were there for the Sunday legend slot, not necessarily ELO. If Chic have the crowd guaranteed, they'd grab it by the balls.

I would fully support a chic legends slot. The gig at West Holts in 2013 was unforgettable.

Just now, Ricci's Special Kebabs said:

It was my favourite Glastonbury moment until LCD just beat it this year. 

I still say that was my fave gig - Earth Wind and Fire were absolutley brilliant....but not quite on a par with chic. 

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

I made a decision many many years ago to try and enjoy any band i happened to be seeing and make the best of a bad job. I knew most of the songs from my teens and quite enjoyed myself, but seeing a band  with four guitars, two keyboards, drums, opera singers and a twenty piece orchestra doing the most unexciting, bland version of Chuck's Rollover Beethoven ever just reminded me how much my generation really needed Punk's kick up the ass 40 years ago.

Edited by tjamest

56 minutes ago, Larraht said:

I still say that was my fave gig - Earth Wind and Fire were absolutley brilliant....but not quite on a par with chic. 

Chic was my favourite gig of all time. EW&F were unbelievable, but there's just something about being hit by an onslaught of hits and the magnetism of Nile. In terms of energy and how tight the bands are, I'd say the two were on a par - at the top of their game.

26 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Cue halfarsed @russycarps style 'i went cos x wanted to' excuse from @The Nal

haha yeah pretty much. I went because my missus mates didn't get tickets, didn't want to leave her on her own and she hadn't seen them before. I went to Adele for the same reason.

Dodged a bullet with Tom Odell mind you! And there was also talk of missing Art Garfunkel for Will Young which was squashed early doors. 

That said, Adele and Coldplay are a million miles ahead of ELO in terms of a show. Which is saying something. ELO. Just shit. 

I mean really, listen to the silence here at 39 mins 10. Humiliating for all concerned. Honestly never see anything like it. Some fun next year please!

P.S. You're just pissed off because you missed Patty Griffin!

Edited by The Nal

3 hours ago, The Nal said:

haha yeah pretty much. I went because my missus mates didn't get tickets, didn't want to leave her on her own and she hadn't seen them before. I went to Adele for the same reason.

Dodged a bullet with Tom Odell mind you! And there was also talk of missing Art Garfunkel for Will Young which was squashed early doors. 

That said, Adele and Coldplay are a million miles ahead of ELO in terms of a show. Which is saying something. ELO. Just shit. 

I mean really, listen to the silence here at 39 mins 10. Humiliating for all concerned. Honestly never see anything like it. Some fun next year please!

P.S. You're just pissed off because you missed Patty Griffin!

to defend The Nal from any forthcoming accusations of purely following the missus, i met him and his lovely missus on saturday - hope i was slightly coherent, i had a lot to drink by then! - and she did express disappointment at him dragging her away 5 songs into Muse which she was enjoying.

27 minutes ago, tevaburger said:

to defend The Nal from any forthcoming accusations of purely following the missus, i met him and his lovely missus on saturday - hope i was slightly coherent, i had a lot to drink by then! - and she did express disappointment at him dragging her away 5 songs into Muse which she was enjoying.

Thanks mate! Great to meet you. We'll have a proper beer at some stage.

Actually didn't drag her away. Just didn't go with her so she only caught a few tunes.

6 hours ago, Larraht said:

I may get ridiculed for this -

A group of us were talking about next year's legends spot and who it could be and many of us thought that a bit of Belinda Carlise may be good fun! Many of us grew up with her and she apparently has a new album next year. Is she a legend though? Maybe not big enough for that slot...

Some of us also said MeatLoaf which could be great fun!

She was meant to play the Pussy Parlour I think 2010. Remember someone in our group went to see her, however, on arrival informed that she had decided not to play. 

I personally thought ELO were great, yes there wasn't much interaction from Jeff, but when did the legends slot become all about cheese and choreographed sets? 

I'd dream of Diana Ross, for me that would be far better than any headliner, but after seeing him recently, and for just how many brilliant songs he's got, for me realistically it's got to be Elton John next.

46 minutes ago, Tilted said:

She was meant to play the Pussy Parlour I think 2010. Remember someone in our group went to see her, however, on arrival informed that she had decided not to play. 

think it was Beat Hotel in 2010 she was supposed to be at?

i was a bit of a Go-Go's fan when i was really young, but none of her solo stuff after "Mad About You" - they just did a farewell tour here in the US recently.

but hardly Glasto legend...maybe Cyndi Lauper acoustic stage-type booking?