Football 16-17

kaosmark2

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

The had the goal, the one that hit the bar, the one one one with the keeper where he should've squared it but hit the side netting, the point blank save from Karius in the first half, he made another aswell. Even Klopp said they should've lost 3 nil. 

3-0 I can go with. It was the 4 in there too that had me post back.

Soton were deserved winners - how many times do I have to say it? - but it was because their game was up as much as it was Liverpool's game being down. Even the lack of meaningful shots isn't different to how they've played all (note: all, not just recently) season - you can find plenty of posts from me right back to august mentioning it.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just wanted to chip in to the thread with the sad news that Graham Taylor has passed away aged 72.

The man basically WAS my childhood, was Watford's boss when I went to my first game back when we were in the old Division 3 and my earliest footballing memories are the back to back promotions and him steering us into the Prem for the first time.

He may have been known to some as Turnip Head or whatever it was, but to us Hornets he will always be a legend.

RIP GT - thanks for the memories.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

I had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times, a real gent who genuinely loved the game.

RIP

I also met him several times and he was indeed a real gent, always made time to talk to us Hornets before, during, after games and if he was seen around the town.

RIP GT - Watford legend.

Once a Hornet, always a Hornet.

3 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

All of that was arguably true. The problem was he had no pace or dribbling ability, couldn't head the ball, could do nothing with his left foot other than stand on it, and almost never scored from open play. 

I agree he certainly deserved to be in the conversation, but most of those making these assessment seemed to be judging world football from a diet of premiership football, English teams in the champions league and England international matches 

1 hour ago, mungo57 said:

Just wanted to chip in to the thread with the sad news that Graham Taylor has passed away aged 72.

The man basically WAS my childhood, was Watford's boss when I went to my first game back when we were in the old Division 3 and my earliest footballing memories are the back to back promotions and him steering us into the Prem for the first time.

He may have been known to some as Turnip Head or whatever it was, but to us Hornets he will always be a legend.

RIP GT - thanks for the memories.

I was at that game in '99 when you beat Bolton in the play off final to get into the Prem. Great scenes and a fantastic achievement with the back to back promotions. Sad news. Proper footy guy.

18 minutes ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

I was at that game in '99 when you beat Bolton in the play off final to get into the Prem. Great scenes and a fantastic achievement with the back to back promotions. Sad news. Proper footy guy.

Unfortunately I didn't go to that game but I watched it on telly. At the time I'd have been around 11 and Dad couldn't afford to take us.

Will still be my happiest memory of WFC despite seeing us come 2nd a few seasons ago and getting to fulfilling my ambition of a Vic pitch invasion :P and also going to the playoff final we won in Cardiff.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

yep, if nothing else it was clear he lived and breathed and loved football. As genuine as it gets.

Couldn't have put it better myself Neil.

I see Watford have plans already for a minutes applause before the game on Saturday.

If I wasn't ill still I'd get myself a ticket and go and pay my respects to the great man in person

Happy Friday everyone, we're nearly there.

Fixtures over the weekend:

Tottenham Hotspur v West Bromwich Albion

Burnley v Southampton

Hull City v Bournemouth

Sunderland v Stoke City

Swansea City v Arsenal

Watford v Middlesbrough

West Ham United v Crystal Palace

Leicester City v Chelsea

Everton v Manchester City

Manchester United v Liverpool

Thoughts on where I should put my cash? Only Spurs and Chelsea look nailed on (I don't bet on Arsenal). Anyone got a view on the others?

@pink_triangle just ever so slightly curious not that it matters why you would downvote me for wanting to pay my respects to Graham Taylor?

The man was a huge part of my childhood, I feel I am entitled to express my sadness at his passing. Shame you felt the need to downvote as I find that a bit disrespectful but there you go.

Like I said, not worried, I don't care about my reputation, just felt the need to ask why.

28 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

@pink_triangle just ever so slightly curious not that it matters why you would downvote me for wanting to pay my respects to Graham Taylor?

The man was a huge part of my childhood, I feel I am entitled to express my sadness at his passing. Shame you felt the need to downvote as I find that a bit disrespectful but there you go.

Like I said, not worried, I don't care about my reputation, just felt the need to ask why.

Didnt know I had! I suspect a accidental press of the finger on my phone. I have never intentionally up or down voted anyone!

1 hour ago, big__phil said:

Happy Friday everyone, we're nearly there.

Fixtures over the weekend:

Tottenham Hotspur v West Bromwich Albion

Burnley v Southampton

Hull City v Bournemouth

Sunderland v Stoke City

Swansea City v Arsenal

Watford v Middlesbrough

West Ham United v Crystal Palace

Leicester City v Chelsea

Everton v Manchester City

Manchester United v Liverpool

Thoughts on where I should put my cash? Only Spurs and Chelsea look nailed on (I don't bet on Arsenal). Anyone got a view on the others?

If the fixtures allow it, I often like to do an all away wins triple - So this weekend I'm going for Chelsea, Bournemouth, Boro

2 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Boro looks pretty weak though, as they don't score enough goals. Might put them in a Draw No Bet.

Yep they are the outside bet of the 3. Watford just look all over the place at the moment - and what with Boro being pretty solid at the back I think they could nick it by a goal.

Great weekend of live football, it's January, it's cold, I'm skint, so I plan to spend most of it on the sofa with the heating cranked up (subject to Mrs Jass' approval)

Saturday:

12.30 - Spurs - Albion (I'm fearing a whalloping)

15.00 - Jeff

17.30 - Flicking between Leicester - Chelsea and Wolves - Villa (I hate both teams)

Sunday:

13.30 - Everton - City

16.00 - Untied - Liverpool (it'll be another dud I'm sure)

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

Didnt know I had! I suspect a accidental press of the finger on my phone. I have never intentionally up or down voted anyone!

Like I said, don't care about rep, just sad about GT!

Sorry to point the finger of blame mate :)

2 hours ago, big__phil said:

How about a number goals in the Man Utd L'pool game? Plenty here predicting a dull game - how about under 2.5 goals? Or both teams to score?

I can envisage a really close, defensive game. Both teams have made clear they can play some great football, but I think a draw for either team wouldn't be a bad result, but to lose this game could be very damaging. Under 2.5 goals with plenty of booking points for me.