Terrorism

stopwn1981

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Mezhyp1 said:

What a fucking stupid and frankly needless thread, this should be deleted 

Eh? What kind of a response is this? It's not something anybody wants to think about too much, but I don't get some of the responses in this thread that seem to want to pretend terrorism doesn't exist...it's a bit weird!

Personally I think it's highly unlikely Glastonbury would be a target but you just never know! I certainly won't be worrying about it - I'll leave that to the security services.

The people who run the biggest UK events and venues have regular meetings with the Home Office and security services and the planning is pretty robust.

i'd be more worried about the Roundhouse or Electric Ballroom if I was gonna worry, which I'm not because the journey home carries more risk than terrorism.

27 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

Eh? What kind of a response is this? It's not something anybody wants to think about too much, but I don't get some of the responses in this thread that seem to want to pretend terrorism doesn't exist...it's a bit weird!

Personally I think it's highly unlikely Glastonbury would be a target but you just never know! I certainly won't be worrying about it - I'll leave that to the security services.

It's a perfectly reasonable response because it's a ridiculously alarmist thread that may worry people unduly. Terrorism does exist but you'd be as well posting a thread saying 'going out of the house this morning? Should I be worried?'.

6 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

It's a perfectly reasonable response because it's a ridiculously alarmist thread that may worry people unduly. Terrorism does exist but you'd be as well posting a thread saying 'going out of the house this morning? Should I be worried?'.

I don't think it's alarmist, it's a perfectly reasonable question about whether the festival (or any other for that matter) could be a target. I don't think people should worry though, it's very unlikely to happen and I certainly won't be spending my time looking for bearded men with plump looking backpacks.

At the end of the day the sad reality is that we live in a world where terrorism happens. But you can't let it stop you living your life. You just have to be vidgelent in exactly the same way as you would anywhere else. See something suspicious? Tell one of the police that are on site. That's what they are there for.

8 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

I don't think it's alarmist, it's a perfectly reasonable question about whether the festival (or any other for that matter) could be a target. I don't think people should worry though, it's very unlikely to happen and I certainly won't be spending my time looking for bearded men with plump looking backpacks.

Oh 

*sadface*

Going to a gig in Belfast in the 1970's would make me more worried

More likely to die by some lunatic in a car crash. I'm more concerned by people having the inability to drive correctly then the odds of being blown up on the tube or music festival.

Nothing against the thread but we do need context. Has anyone started a thread about being killed in a car crash on the way to Worthy Farm? That is far more likely to happen

I'm not worried myself, but no need to jump down this guys throat like some have. You can bet your bottom dollar the GFL organising team/policing operation will be considering the possibility in some way, shape or form. However I've got every confidence that firstly the festival won't be a massive target - they would be much more likely to go after a big crowd in London, where they can buy tickets much more easily etc. Secondly that those organising will take every step possible (without compromising our freedoms) to ensure our safety.

And lastly, because even without those factors we'd have much more chance of falling down the long drops and drowning in the effluent than we do of being attacked by terrorists. 

Edited by arcade fireman

7 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

I'm not worried myself, but no need to jump down this guys throat like some have. You can bet your bottom dollar the GFL organising team/policing operation will be considering the possibility in some way, shape or form. However I've got every confidence that firstly the festival won't be a massive target - they would be much more likely to go after a big crowd in London, where they can buy tickets much more easily etc. Secondly that those organising will take every step possible (without compromising our freedoms) to ensure our safety.

And lastly, because even without those factors we'd have much more chance of falling down the long drops and drowning in the effluent than we do of being attacked by terrorists. 

The organisers will obviously have considered the possibility, the same way they're no doubt considered the possibility of the Pyramid catching fire. Both are equally as unlikely, the latter isn't worthy of its own thread and I don't consider the former to be either. 

10 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

The organisers will obviously have considered the possibility, the same way they're no doubt considered the possibility of the Pyramid catching fire. Both are equally as unlikely, the latter isn't worthy of its own thread and I don't consider the former to be either. 

If there had been three or four major festival stages catching fire around Europe in the last year, it would have probably got its own thread. 

Like I said, I'm not worried at all, but I think it's a perfectly reasonable topic of discussion as long as its done in a sensible way. 

5 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

If there had been three or four major festival stages catching fire around Europe in the last year, it would have probably got its own thread. 

Like I said, I'm not worried at all, but I think it's a perfectly reasonable topic of discussion as long as its done in a sensible way. 

How many festivals have had to deal with a terrorist attack?