Raise your (non)glass - 2016 Alcohol thread

sloseph

1 hour ago, stixmcvix said:

Prepare to have your bubble burst (in a good way)....

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=437608

boom! that is outrageous at £4 for 8 tiny cans but it is the only tonic really worth drinking. every high end bar worth its salt uses fever tree.

i will probably get some with a decent gin for a change of pace!

Edited by Memory Man

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

our group had a laugh last year as we have a couple of rum enthusiasts who decided to go to the rum shack.....

they have ONE rum. one. the same one that is on all the other bars i expect. False advertising!

the only place with premium spirits i can think of off the top of my head is the beat hotel

This kind of shenanigans makes my piss boil. :o

I've am going minimal this year, each time I have slabs of beer, feel worried about drinking too much too early, then left with the dreaded drink it all on Sunday as my calculations go wrong. So this year, just going to take a bottle of Voddy, some Gin maybe (and a few mixers) but I intend to buy most of it on site.

shouldn't be too expensive as my 3 month dry spell before hand should mean I need less over all...

4 hours ago, Memory Man said:

our group had a laugh last year as we have a couple of rum enthusiasts who decided to go to the rum shack.....

they have ONE rum. one. the same one that is on all the other bars i expect. False advertising!

the only place with premium spirits i can think of off the top of my head is the beat hotel

Ah balls, that's a shame. Yeah, you'd think the Rum Shack of all places would have a few different ones to try.

I do remember a pretty good Mojito place quite near Arcadia in 2014. We then sat in those hanging pods for a while, drinking those. Hope that's still there. 

Question - I usually take a load of beer and than premixed bottle of spirit (gin and tonic or orange) as a change of pace. 

This year I'm going the other way so loads of spirits. Am I still best premixing or should I take the spirits and separate mixers/buy mixers on site? I intend on taking a decent quality of spirits.

11 minutes ago, dooke10 said:

Question - I usually take a load of beer and than premixed bottle of spirit (gin and tonic or orange) as a change of pace. 

This year I'm going the other way so loads of spirits. Am I still best premixing or should I take the spirits and separate mixers/buy mixers on site? I intend on taking a decent quality of spirits.

It all just depends on how much you want to carry vs how much you are willing to spend.

Most of the ice cream vans sell 500ml bottles of coke, sprite, fanta etc for £2 a bottle and some of the smaller stores have 1.5l bottles of coke for around £3.

28 minutes ago, dooke10 said:

You will struggle to find anyone selling tonic on site (I've never found any) but cola, lemonade and fruit juice is easy enough. In 2014 the "Fresh Lemonade" stand would add your spirit to the mix for you.

1 hour ago, dooke10 said:

Would definitely recommend buying mixers as needed on site. Obviously more costly, but most of the mixers I bought on site last year were lovely and cold, straight out the fridge, which makes it very much worth it.

2 hours ago, kingbadger said:

Would definitely recommend buying mixers as needed on site. Obviously more costly, but most of the mixers I bought on site last year were lovely and cold, straight out the fridge, which makes it very much worth it.

that is a good idea - the simple obvious ones are usually the best,  and cold mixers - woohoo

Just been browsing and Asda are doing 3 for £20 which includes 10 packs of Strongbow Dark Fruit. It's not the best but it fares well when warm and for thirty cans it ain't a bad deal. 

Tesco doing 2 for £20 which includes 10 packs of Kopparberg fruit cider (330ml cans). Also includes a good range of 18/20 pack beers http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco/bundle/881635_1633113.html

On 21 March 2016 at 6:12 PM, LeeGalvin said:

Ah balls, that's a shame. Yeah, you'd think the Rum Shack of all places would have a few different ones to try.

I do remember a pretty good Mojito place quite near Arcadia in 2014. We then sat in those hanging pods for a while, drinking those. Hope that's still there. 

They were excellent, extremely strong with a branch of mint. Couldn't actually get out of the swinging pod afterwards... Sadly didn't find a mojito bar last year and the pods migrated to the green fields. The cider bus did do a pretty good apple mojito

This thread amazes me every year, given I'm fairly sure I'd actually die if I drank as much as half of the posters here do.

12 (small) cans of cider, and 400ml decanted plastic bottle of rum (Kraken), 400ml decanted bottle of flavoured vodka and I probably won't even finish it all. Call me crazy, but 3 pints and 250ml (8 shot measures) a day, plus the occasional cold Brothers or warm mulled cider a day is more than enough.

And yes, that's just four days, I'll often spend one day out of the five not drinking much at all...

4 hours ago, DeanoL said:

This thread amazes me every year, given I'm fairly sure I'd actually die if I drank as much as half of the posters here do.

12 (small) cans of cider, and 400ml decanted plastic bottle of rum (Kraken), 400ml decanted bottle of flavoured vodka and I probably won't even finish it all. Call me crazy, but 3 pints and 200ml spirits (8 shot measures) a day, plus the occasional cold Brothers or warm mulled cider a day is more than enough.

And yes, that's just four days, I'll often spend one day out of the five not drinking much at all...

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/03/2016 at 1:12 PM, Memory Man said:

One time we went (2014) they had run out of rum!! :blink:

On 21/03/2016 at 6:12 PM, LeeGalvin said:

i wasn't particularly impressed with the mojitos there as just pre-mixed weak stuff

The cocktails at the cockatoo in the T&C field blew your head off and were certainly worth the money :D

I've been told they do passion fruit daiquiris at the bar at the bottom of the Park so shall be checking them out this year for sure :)

2 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

i wasn't particularly impressed with the mojitos there as just pre-mixed weak stuff

The cocktails at the cockatoo in the T&C field blew your head off and were certainly worth the money :D

I've been told they do passion fruit daiquiris at the bar at the bottom of the Park so shall be checking them out this year for sure :)

Ah ok, good to know! Thanks.

On ‎21‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 1:15 PM, Memory Man said:

boom! that is outrageous at £4 for 8 tiny cans but it is the only tonic really worth drinking. every high end bar worth its salt uses fever tree.

i will probably get some with a decent gin for a change of pace!

You'd better lower those tastes when you go to the on site bars ;)

Last year we found that a couple didn't even give you any ice in a G&T.  The best one was in the greenpeace field where you could have Tanqueray, I think they even put ice and a slice in.  Doubtless the tonic was not posh, but you could certainly taste the difference from the other gins.

Luckily for me you can get fresh custard tarts at the other end of that field and I'm mr greedy :D

3 minutes ago, LeeGalvin said:

Ah ok, good to know! Thanks.

Cookatoo menu - I had the Turtle Dove..what's also good in that field is the Theatre bar further up the field that sells supper strength Swedish & Belgian, that whole area is just like awesome!! :D

Glastonbury 2015 350.JPG

We took a vast quantity of Strawberry Brothers last year and I was fed up of it by Friday. Not quite the same as a cool one in front of the Brothers Bar.

I'm going for bitter this year, getting old. Can't hack warm lager of any type. And we spend quite a bit of time in the real ale bar next to the acoustic tent, beer isn't great but beggars can't be choosers and all that.

Looking for Tribute in cans at a reasonable price. My missus works in a pub and they can get it direct from the St Austell brewery but it's significantly cheaper in Sainsbury's, once it's on offer I'm roaring in.

On 29/03/2016 at 1:06 AM, DeanoL said:

12 (small) cans of cider, and 400ml decanted plastic bottle of rum (Kraken), 400ml decanted bottle of flavoured vodka and I probably won't even finish it all. Call me crazy, but 3 pints and 250ml (8 shot measures) a day, plus the occasional cold Brothers or warm mulled cider a day is more than enough.

hey i here by invite you to my wagon in the disabled field or my camp up by the PS and have a drink with me ..well have ANYTHING you wish to drink lol.....my wagons like a bloody offliecence lol

30 minutes ago, koj said:

Looking for Tribute in cans at a reasonable price. My missus works in a pub and they can get it direct from the St Austell brewery but it's significantly cheaper in Sainsbury's, once it's on offer I'm roaring in.

Cans of Tribute will be a key part of my Glasto diet again this year. If you hear of it going on offer please post it on here!