John Grant

LEDZEP66

40 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Hoping for lots of tunes from the new album!

when I saw him in Brighton i'm pretty sure he played nearly every song from the new album

37 minutes ago, noplacelikehome said:

I would love for him to headline the park, I have no interest in the other rumoured headliners for Friday so that would be perfect for me. However like you I suspect he will be elsewhere, hope it is not the other as it is my least favourite of the stages and not sure the crowd usually there would "get" him. But I am struggling to see where else he could play. Saw him in Manchester earlier this year and he was magnificent, he is my one unmissable act this year

yeah i'm really hoping it's not the Other stage, i'm not a big fan of it and i'm not sure how well his slower piano stuff some come across on such a big stage

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, noplacelikehome said:

I would love for him to headline the park, I have no interest in the other rumoured headliners for Friday so that would be perfect for me. However like you I suspect he will be elsewhere, hope it is not the other as it is my least favourite of the stages and not sure the crowd usually there would "get" him. But I am struggling to see where else he could play. Saw him in Manchester earlier this year and he was magnificent, he is my one unmissable act this year

That is the evilest clash I can imagine. A potential Sigur Ros - LCD Soundsystem - John Grant Clashmageddon. Please no more evil thoughts. I'm already bent out of shape and they are my absolute 3 must sees. 

Love John grant but seen him 3 times now so don't think I could give up a headline slot for him. Would love to see him and Ezra Ferman given a pyramid slot and see how they get on, Johns got the voice for it and ezras band would smash it. 

Ps

anyone else still get tearfull listening to black star 

8 hours ago, Fred Zepplin said:

Love John grant but seen him 3 times now so don't think I could give up a headline slot for him. Would love to see him and Ezra Ferman given a pyramid slot and see how they get on, Johns got the voice for it and ezras band would smash it. 

Ps

He was my absolute highlight of 2014, but I've never been able to get into the new album anywhere near as much as his first two. So, I'm not convinced it can match up

And yes, I was thinking about Lazarus just before bed last night, with something in my eye.

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

He was my absolute highlight of 2014, but I've never been able to get into the new album anywhere near as much as his first two. So, I'm not convinced it can match up

It'll have all the power of the early gigs, but with songs like Sigourney Weaver ditched in favour of things like Snug Slacks.

Unimpressed-Chloe-Is-Boo-From-Monsters-I

The new album stuff actually seemed to make a lot more sense live, more power to it and more energy than on the album and I then went back and listened to the album and enjoyed it more 

Although I agree on Snug Slacks, not that bothered about Sigourney Weaver being missing but he didn't play Where Dreams Go to Die which was a travesty

I'd never been that in to Snug Slacks on the album but seeing him doing it Live was an absolute joy, I've loved the song ever since

we got a pretty perfect setlist form him though, I don't think he missed off anything I really really wanted

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/john-grant/2015/brighton-dome-brighton-england-63f50643.html

10 hours ago, eFestivals said:

and loud, too.

Aye that was, but after that we stumbled into the pop group in the other room downstairs and that caused your ears to whistle it was so bloody loud! 

I didn't know what to expect with them, but volume was certainly the order of the day.

http://www.thepopgroup.net/noise-set-live-at-bbc-6-music-festival/

Right.

I've listened to his new album again. It's not as if it's a bad album as such, but... Other than Disappointed, I don't think there's anything on this record that is as good as any of the tracks on the previous two.

In fact, most of them sound just like slightly (sometimes not so slightly) inferior versions of equivalent songs on Pale Green Ghosts.

It's his Terminator 3, not as good as the first two, like a poor copy of the second.

Ironically* enough, I'm very disappointed, especially given how much I liked his earlier work and the lead off single.

*It might not be ironic actually. It was probably only ironic to like Disappointed. I have only a slightly stronger grasp on the concept than a 19yr old Alanis Morrisett.

I think if you love the first two you won't like the latest as much.  I liked the first two but wasn't mad over them but I prefer the latest.  Mind you, I rarely am with the consensus on these things!

Snug Slacks is great live though!

Grey tickles is much more of a grower than the first two, it took me a bit of perseverance to get into it but not I love it as much as the other 2

i'd go as far to say

1. Queen of Denmark

2. Grey Tickles Black Pressure

3. Pale Green Ghosts

8 hours ago, ICGenie said:

I think if you love the first two you won't like the latest as much.  I liked the first two but wasn't mad over them but I prefer the latest.  Mind you, I rarely am with the consensus on these things!

1 hour ago, sloseph said:

Grey tickles is much more of a grower than the first two, it took me a bit of perseverance to get into it but not I love it as much as the other 2

i'd go as far to say

1. Queen of Denmark

2. Grey Tickles Black Pressure

3. Pale Green Ghosts

That's good to know. I might persevere.

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/04/2016 at 7:35 AM, ICGenie said:

Yes, it is different, but I found it great music to keep going to, when I'm wfh.

On 4 April 2016 at 11:51 PM, Fred Zepplin said:

Ps

Yes.  Lazarus particularly.  Think I always will.

12 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I stuck Lazarus on yesterday. So powerful and beautiful.

Brilliant musically and lyrically, but with hindsight it's so clearly a goodbye/epitaph.  Makes me sad thinking it was written as such.

• 1 month later...

Apologies if this isn't allowed here but due to work commitments, I have 2 tickets available for the Royal Albert Hall show next week.  First row of Stall, block K.  £72 face value for the pair.  Please pm me if you're interested.  They're also on Scarlet Mist if you'd prefer to transact via that site.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody else at this last night? Absolutely incredible - and the third time I've had the pleasure of seeing Kylie as a special guest! She smashed it, as did he. Was in tears for much of it, again, and the new stuff sounded great. My only gripe was that I couldn't get up for a boogie during Voodoo Doll (my current favourite) and Pale Green Ghosts (which sounds so good live). Queen of Denmark and Glacier sounded superb. Love love love him. 

PS. I'm aware that you're all in hyper Glastonbury prep mode now, but I don't care... no really...

Edited by Zoo Music Girl