Sunday Legend 2016

O'Doyle Rules

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not doubting his talent (tho his singing could be better). I know who he is.

But compared to Frampton, he's a nobody. Most people know Meat Loaf but don't know who's the talent behind him.

Oh aye. He's as anonymous as they come. If he even performed live - which I dunno if he ever really has - the best he could hope for is something like teatime in the Acoustic.

I'm not doubting his talent (tho his singing could be better). I know who he is.

But compared to Frampton, he's a nobody. Most people know Meat Loaf but don't know who's the talent behind him.

I'd guess that Stu's knowledge gap about Frampton is down to his specific age - where his parents are just a bit too old to have had Comes Alive in their collection and his own age-group were too young to have interest in him. 'Comes Alive' really was one of those "everyone's got it" albums.

I've heard of Steinman, but if Bacharach doesn't make the cut for the legends slots, then Meatloaf's songwriter doesn't. Far smaller profile. He might play the Pyramid in another slot though, I suppose.

I was only mentioning the Wagnerian one in passing as something I'd like to see due to me digging his often-ludicrous music. Hence "in some context".

Though it's bad news for my wife as no doubt this will trigger a Steinmanfest later on this evening.

Edited by CaledonianGonzo

The crowd for Lionel seemed ridiculous, although it was actually more crowded in parts near the edge of the field, probably due to people assuming it was even worse in the middle.

Even so, I don't think I've ever seen the like of it at Glasto.

I felt embarrassed when I reached the Other Stage 15 minutes before Future Islands came on and there were about 300 people there.

Thankfully it filled out a bit before they came on and really filled out as the Lionel crowd spilled across

I went to see Alvvays on John peel which clashed with the start of Lionel. Crowd was tiny - it's not really fair that they had to compete with the Sunday legend, whereas indie clones Catfish get a ridiculous showing at the other stage.

My sources - i.e. an kinsman of long standing who's since been disowned - told me that The Catweazle attracted a crowd of gargantuan proportions.

hehehe, I am currently the proud owner of some proper authentic 'Cuttlefish and the Brittlemen' sunglasses. If I wasn't under strict instructions to pass them on to my friend, they'd be winging their way to you right now, calgon.

Your Song? Candle In The Wind? Crocodile Rock? I'm Still Standing? Rocket Man? Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word? Saturday Night's Allright? Tiny Dancer? Don't Go Breaking My Heart? Are You Ready For Love? He's probably got more singalongs than Dolly and Lionel put together.

OK I concede.  

There'll all a load of shit though! 

Even Team Barry have to admit that Elton's the best they could ever do in the Legend Slot. Which is why they'd genuinely have to debate whether to use him in it or just have him headline the whole damn thing.

It kinda makes you think of Stevie Wonder - was he always going to headline?  Was it ever considered he should fill the legends slot instead?  I guess he got the headline slot based on the credibility his early catalogue is often afforded.  

Bitter gall and wormwood for the pocketful of sodden wet heroes helping Marcos Valle celebrate 50 years in music over on the Holts.

Of which I'm proud to say I was one. Didn't know who he was, like, just decided after The Cribs had finished that I wasn't sticking around for fucking Catfish, so wandered around the Greenfields for a bit, before coming to something incredibly groovy on West Holts. Had a great time, even in the rain, set me right up for Mary J Blige. I could have camped at WH all weekend, if it weren't for those pesky other areas.