Football 2015/16

TheGayTent

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But why though? Is this because the 'big teams' (who of course are the only teams who matter out of the entire league pyramid because they play in a competition where the same teams make the final rounds every year) don't take it seriously, call it the Mickey Mouse cup, the media continue this and therefore it damages the reputation? And is the fa cup losing its magic because it's not United / Liverpool / Chelsea / arsenal / city in the final every year?

I think the fact that many premiership clubs prioritize finishing 17th in the league above winning the cup and often play weakened squads hurts it. The main problem is probably the saturation of football from all countries available to us now. When I first watched football the whole day revolved around the FA cup final. Now they often schedule other football matches on the day.

I think the fact that many premiership clubs prioritize finishing 17th in the league above winning the cup and often play weakened squads hurts it. The main problem is probably the saturation of football from all countries available to us now. When I first watched football the whole day revolved around the FA cup final. Now they often schedule other football matches on the day.

Unfortunately with the money involved its no wonder clubs want to prioritise league safety. Who wants to do what Wigan did in 2013 with the consequences which followed?

Offer the winner of the FA cup the 4th Champions League spot. That's the only way you can bring the 'magic of the cup' in the later rounds back. With one of the 'top four' then guaranteed to miss out in the league, it would really make it interesting. 

Early rounds of course that 'magic' still exists in abundance. 

Unfortunately with the money involved its no wonder clubs want to prioritise league safety. Who wants to do what Wigan did in 2013 with the consequences which followed?

Offer the winner of the FA cup the 4th Champions League spot. That's the only way you can bring the 'magic of the cup' in the later rounds back. With one of the 'top four' then guaranteed to miss out in the league, it would really make it interesting.

Early rounds of course that 'magic' still exists in abundance.

I think if you offered most wigan fans the chance to trade that fa cup final win, for a réturn to the premiership, they would turn it down. Football is about memories, nobody remembers finishing 13th in the league. If your enjoyment as a fan is dependent on premiership football, then you arent a true fan

You're forgetting that Prem fans think lower league football is tantamount to torture and that lower league clubs have no importance and provide no enjoyment for their fans.

get that from most of my man utd supporting friends.... 'if you don't win anything whats the point of supporting them'

You're forgetting that Prem fans think lower league football is tantamount to torture and that lower league clubs have no importance and provide no enjoyment for their fans.

Maybe fans of clubs who will never get relegated, but most premiership fans have known their club below their level. I think there is only liverpool, everton, man u, arsenal and villa that I can't remember outside the top league.

I think if you offered most wigan fans the chance to trade that fa cup final win, for a réturn to the premiership, they would turn it down. Football is about memories, nobody remembers finishing 13th in the league. If your enjoyment as a fan is dependent on premiership football, then you arent a true fan

Good friends with a Wigan fan and that's certainly his stance, and he reckons the view of most of the fans he knows (to be fair, that's probably most of the fans full stop). He supported them for years before the premiership, frankly couldn't believe it every year they stayed up, and that trip to  Wembley was one of the most enjoyable days he's had

I support a team who is nowhere near the Premiership, and for whom another season of non-league football would have killed the club financially. So I'm certainly not dependent on Premiership football :P A lot of people who romanticise 'lower league football' are talking about the Championship or League 1, not the doldrums of non-league or going out of business. 

My basic argument is this. Once the parachute payments have run out and Wigan get relegated a couple more tiers, does the fun end? They'll be back to sub 5,000 in an empty stadium, just as they were in the 90s. Could even go out of business like Hereford. 

Sustainable success at the top levels is the best way of obtaining cup success, and I'd rather stay up there than win it once and come back into the crap that is lower league football. One FA Cup win followed by a load of relegations, poor football and sacking managers constantly? Or consistent success like Swansea, West Brom, Southampton, Wolves, Stoke etc.

Good friends with a Wigan fan and that's certainly his stance, and he reckons the view of most of the fans he knows (to be fair, that's probably most of the fans full stop). He supported them for years before the premiership, frankly couldn't believe it every year they stayed up, and that trip to  Wembley was one of the most enjoyable days he's had

There was one thing that was inevitable about Wigan and that was relegation, they may have avoided it for 1,2 or 3 more seasons but we all knew it was coming. The FA cup wasn't inevitable and that's what made it so special. Wigan may fall to their natural level and have good and bad times like most teams. The FA cup memory will always remain.

As a Newcastle fan I'd definitely take a few years outside the prem fir a fa cup. I understand the financial hurt it would bring but emotions and memories are what matter.

Although we know what your owner would choose given the choice!

I support a team who is nowhere near the Premiership, and for whom another season of non-league football would have killed the club financially. So I'm certainly not dependent on Premiership football :P A lot of people who romanticise 'lower league football' are talking about the Championship or League 1, not the doldrums of non-league or going out of business.

To quote TGT Twaddle!

I think any club who runs a business model where its promotion or bust is running on very shaky ground, I hope my club never takes that approach. If you support a lower league club, then relegation is always a distinct possibility, the gamble may not pay off in the future. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with the non league and the way some clubs act like league 2 is some kind of footballing mecca in comparison is a little silly.

I support Wrexham and have had significant experience in league 2 and the leagues above and below. One thing I have noticed is being a football fan is great when your time is winning and playing good football, regardless of what division you play. Wrexham fans were no more happier being a mediocre league 1 side than we are a mediocre conference one!

Im not romanticizing lower league football, I actually enjoy it. I wouldn't want to trade the belief that every season couls be your season, with a dream of finishing 17th and losing slightly less games than everyone else. I enjoy the characters, the grounds, the atmospheres that you get in the lower leagues. I enjoy watching premiership as a neutral, but I have no aspirations to support a team there.

My basic argument is this. Once the parachute payments have run out and Wigan get relegated a couple more tiers, does the fun end? They'll be back to sub 5,000 in an empty stadium, just as they were in the 90s. Could even go out of business like Hereford.

The likes of Aldershot and Chester died and returned. I guarantee both sets of fans enjoyed working their way up the leagues, probably more than they do as mid table conference teams. I wouldn't think the fun end for Wigan, they downsize and cut their cloth accordingly. they will have good seasons and bad seasons like most fans. Those fans that are left will never forget the FA cup final, but if one day they find themselves fighting for the league 2 title, they will stay be having fun.

Sustainable success at the top levels is the best way of obtaining cup success, and I'd rather stay up there than win it once and come back into the crap that is lower league football. One FA Cup win followed by a load of relegations, poor football and sacking managers constantly? Or consistent success like Swansea, West Brom, Southampton, Wolves, Stoke etc.

If you think lower league football is crap, then why not support the nearest premiership team? There is loads of enjoyment to be had in the lower leagues, while there is plenty of crap in the higher ones. The increase in the amount of foreign players in the premiership has shifted british players further don the system and imporved the standard significantly.

My greatest moment as a football fan was watching wrexham beat Arsenal and that is a feeling that a Man Utd fan could never experience, just as I could never experience winning the champions league, they are fantastic feelings, but different.