Headliners 2016

thewayiam

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" Coldplay are an insult to music fans all over the world. We spend hundreds of pounds to attend glasto, and by doing so, expect a certain level of entertainment. "

Coldplay provide entertainment tho? And just because people who have been to glastonbury 5+ times don't like them doesn't mean the people who have never seen them won't. I'm personally looking forward to it and i doubt that petition will get far anyway. More people would of signed the one for Kanye last year.

Edited by Chris Lfc

1 minute ago, maelzoid said:

This may be a bit out there, but is it possible there are 4 headliners?

The festival officially starts on the Wednesday, so is it ridiculous to think that there could be a down-sized line-up on the Thursday, starting in the late afternoon? Rock Werchter does it.

It would solve the Muse / Radiohead / Adele conundrum.

Unless there's been a secret major change to the licence, there won't be bands on the big stages on the Thursday.

16 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

that's in 2004. They'd been two festivals granted a licence since the problems in 2000.

Plus of course someone saying "I like it" or "I don't like it" has absolutely fuck all relevance to the licencing process.

The festival got a licence *ONLY* on the basis that it was suitable to have a licence, and that's absolutely fuck all to do with anything to do with Chris Martin.

I said nothing about 2000 in particular. I said early 2000's. 

As you mention in efestivals report of the 2003 licence hearing, the council specifically refer to the impact of the letters received.

The point that I made was that Chris Martin took action to involve himself ensuring the festival carried on, at a time when it had been cancelled and looked set to not happen again.

2 minutes ago, thesecretingredientiscrime said:

I said nothing about 2000 in particular. I said early 2000's. 

As you mention in efestivals report of the 2003 licence hearing, the council specifically refer to the impact of the letters received.

The point that I made was that Chris Martin took action to involve himself ensuring the festival carried on, at a time when it had been cancelled and looked set to not happen again.

And you have no idea whatsoever how much of an impact Chris Martin's letters made.  I expect letters from local businesspeople would have made much more of a difference.  

8 minutes ago, Chris Lfc said:

" Coldplay are an insult to music fans all over the world. We spend hundreds of pounds to attend glasto, and by doing so, expect a certain level of entertainment. "

Coldplay provide entertainment tho? And just because people who have been to glastonbury 5+ times don't like them doesn't mean the people who have never seen them won't. I'm personally looking forward to it and i doubt that petition will get far anyway. More people would of signed the one for Kanye last year.

Woooosh! 

12 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Huh?

I worry about the festival if this is a prevailing mood amongst regular festival goers.

Why? I think we should support acts who support the festival. If it comes between supporting acts who ensure the longevity of the festival/message of the festival reaches a wider audience and me having to see someone else once every four or five years, or seeing someone who I'm a fan of but couldn't give a fuck whether the festival is there next year or not, I'd pick the first one every time.

50 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I reckon, tho I can't say that with certainty.

However, Radiohead could well be in the mix somehow too, which seems to either suggest Adele isn't doing it, or, from some info that came my way (which sounds like it's wrong but is also a weird thing for someone to have said if it's not) Muse might not be headlining.

Of those two I'd say Adele not doing it is the most likely, and yet I'm finding it very hard to go with the idea that she's not given a few bits of background info I've had plus some other bits and pieces.

Interesting, cheers.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I was a huge Cure fan in 1995.  That was the festival that started my lifelong obsession with the place - when all my mates came back glowing, telling me I really should have come along.  I did at the next opportunity, but it took a while before I got my suntan...

1995 was my first Glasto, came back with sunburn and watched The Cure, they were brilliant and I was converted to both the festival & the band. Shame they haven't been back for a 4th appearance in all these years.

The Saturday was my 21st as well, got to see Portishead, PJ Harvey, Boo Radleys, Jeff Buckley amongst others.

Edited by ericlered

15 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Then you could claim the same, but more-so, of efestivals.

I wouldn't make that claim of efestivals.

Efestivals is correctly praised for the work its done for and with the festival over the years but if it ever came to the point where the legitimacy of efestivals being involved in the festival was questioned, there'd be every reason to make that claim of efestivals, to ensure the contribution is remembered and recognised. Not comparing the two BTW, efestivals obviously makes an immesnse impact across festivals nationwide and beyond.

Edited by thesecretingredientiscrime

18 minutes ago, bigfurbdogg said:

Excuse my ignorance, but what has Efest's done for the festival?

You can look back at the involvement and work from efests during the early 2000's dicey years as discussed, but as well as supporting and helping to ensure the festival has continued, it has massively backed charity work from the festival and initiated its own over the years that I'm sure has made a large contribution to the charities in question. That's just stuff that I'm aware of, there's a lot more I'm sure and probably even more by people under the efests banner, but its not really fair to get efests themselves to list their own achievements. Fairly sure just small things such as talking about water aid and oxfam in each glastonbury article help a great deal.