Videos to show first timers

InvalidUsername

17 minutes ago, bennyboi said:

They look like they know how to do it. 

But what happened to there mate who tried to climb the fence??

You see him inside later on 

6 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Or the tail end of decent MDMA around that time...? ;)

Wasn't it just that pills had whizz in them too back then? Hence the rushy gurny chewy faces 

4 minutes ago, Michaels denim shorts said:

Wasn't it just that pills had whizz in them too back then? Hence the rushy gurny chewy faces 

Or that I guess. Just hearsay on my part. Never really got into pills or powdery uppers myself. Did half an e once only and ended up looking like a prat raving to Showaddywaddy and Boney M during the cheeze bit on a Friday or Saturday in my towns only night club. I recall not really caring, though.the thought of it embarrasses me greatly now.

On 28 May 2016 at 8:30 AM, kaytee... said:

Love crowd shots like that. Shame people don't seem to get into it as much as they used to now or maybe thats more to do with the music these days.

I think people still bounce, it's just that the field is ridiculously rammed in that video. Would of been impossible not to bounce in there!

Maybe it was due to overcrowding that year? It was before those break fence thingies were about too, doesn't get quite as packed down the front these days because of them.

Bouncing looks more like this these days

• 2 months later...

Not at all, but I would mention that going on your own is a very distinct and different experience compared to going with a group.  My kids started going to festivals at 16 and now go alone but the first couple or 3 times I was onsite and with them some or all of the time as a familiar anchor.  

Glastonbury on your own can be great and both on these boards and facebook (and probably elsewhere) solo camping groups or meet ups are organised.  I wish I'd had the confidence to go alone when I was a younger man, I'd have attended many more times than I have done as it was always the case that others I knew just didn't want to or couldn't attend.

In the spirit of the thread, last year I was with a solo group (who I returned with this year) and this video was one of the first gigs I saw that year.  If the opening 5 minutes don't leave you grinning like a child you have no soul.  When a festival starts this good you know it's going to be a good year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 8/2/2016 at 11:44 PM, livia1504 said:

Hey, I will be a Glastonbury newbie 2017, and will be 17 at the time, currently it looks like I'll be going alone and I was just wondering what people's thoughts were on whether I'm too young or not.

Yes, yes you are.  You're not allowed to go solo until you're old and cynical and grumpy enough to regret all the times you didn't go alone when you were, as @Spindles put it,a younger man.  Then you get to chuckle knowingly at the sight of younger people getting dragged to stages they can't be arsed to walk to in order to see bands they don't like by people they're getting annoyed with.

images.jpg

But that aside, go for it.  I would suggest that you look into the threads about solo camping, as for a first time you might find it helpful to at least be camped in a circle of people who've been before, can offer suggestions or advice, and at least nominally keep an eye on tents.  I think there's also normally a fire pit on the go, and it is nice at the end of a day to be able to swap stories around a fire.

FWIW I'll probably be doing my first solo this year!

• Upvote 1

Going at 17 will be the time of your life. I'm quite envious tbh remembering my first time. If you can get some others to go with you that will enhance the experience - going it alone will also be fantastic though in an entirely different way I assure you. You lucky thing. You will have a ball.

Going alone is absolutely fine and nothing to feel self-conscious about, but you should prepare yourself a bit. At 17, you're going to be experiencing something unlike anything you've probably experienced before. And if you're on this forum, you're going to experience a lot of hype and expectation, to the extent it's possible you could arrive to an anti-climax. I've seen it happen before.

Try to focus on the music and the arts, and not on every single second of the festival being mind-blowingly amazing, because it's not. There are times each of us get a bit pissed off, worn out and over it. But we know those times for what they are, cling on to perspective and focus on the positive. That stuff comes with experience, so it's not necessarily something you're going to go through the gates with. Not everything is paradise, but the highs are super high. Sometimes they only become super in retrospect, so just go with what happens and when it's over, the blur will transform into something magical.

Do make yourself known to others here who're going alone or want to go in a group. I haven't done that myself yet, and I think I prefer the solo experience, but be aware of all your options. Do come to the Wednesday forum-meet. Only 33% of people are weird. Do lose inhibitions at the gate, but not your sensibilities.

You'll have an amazing, amazing time. Enjoy to the max!

Edited by kalifire
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Do make yourself known to others here who're going alone or want to go in a group. I haven't done that myself yet, and I think I prefer the solo experience, but be aware of all your options. Do come to the Wednesday forum-meet. Only 33% of people are weird. Do lose inhibitions at the gate, but not your sensibilities.

So, for example one of you, @Spindles and myself are weird and our advice should probably be viewed as such.

Good luck figuring out which is which @livia1504! ;)

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...
On 02/08/2016 at 11:44 PM, livia1504 said:

Hey, I will be a Glastonbury newbie 2017, and will be 17 at the time, currently it looks like I'll be going alone and I was just wondering what people's thoughts were on whether I'm too young or not.

My best friend went to his first festival alone at 17 (Reading 2007 I think) and he had the best time. I think it's more a matter of wether or not you're someone that's happy to go alone to something like that. There's no reason why there would be any problems, unless you're someone who gets bored or is too self-conscious to enjoy themselves on their own.

But also feel free to strike up conversations with the people around your tent or in the crowd. Glastonbury has the reputation it does for a reason. The farm becomes the friendliest collection of people on earth for a week, so make the most of it!

On 05/08/2016 at 9:28 AM, kalifire said:

Going alone is absolutely fine and nothing to feel self-conscious about, but you should prepare yourself a bit. At 17, you're going to be experiencing something unlike anything you've probably experienced before. And if you're on this forum, you're going to experience a lot of hype and expectation, to the extent it's possible you could arrive to an anti-climax. I've seen it happen before.

Try to focus on the music and the arts, and not on every single second of the festival being mind-blowingly amazing, because it's not. There are times each of us get a bit pissed off, worn out and over it. But we know those times for what they are, cling on to perspective and focus on the positive. That stuff comes with experience, so it's not necessarily something you're going to go through the gates with. Not everything is paradise, but the highs are super high. Sometimes they only become super in retrospect, so just go with what happens and when it's over, the blur will transform into something magical.

You'll have an amazing, amazing time. Enjoy to the max!

This is great advice especially don't worry when you are not enjoying every single second, it's a big place and you will get tired/overwhelmed sometimes..... but that's fine as loads of places to chill out...

You'll love it and use the Wednesday and Thursday to explore, as that's just as much fun as the music days :) 

Edited by shoptildrop

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

Not been, in 5 festivals. Need to rectify that this year! 

I only went for the first time in 2015, think night of the museum type crazy plus theatre bar sells Belgian beers and Cockatoo has awesome cocktails.... great way to spend an hour or two :)