Any Recommendations for Thursday?

Pateen

I remember seeing an Elvis\Nirvana cover band a few years ago on the Thursday. Sounded like a weird concoction, was fantastic though and really worked

Saw the Levellers around 2008 on a Thursday as well who did a great set.

Frank Turner's in Strummerville which will draw a crowd but it doesn't grab my attention

Anyone have any live acts worth seeing they would like to share on here?

13 minutes ago, Pateen said:

I remember seeing an Elvis\Nirvana cover band a few years ago on the Thursday. Sounded like a weird concoction, was fantastic though and really worked

Saw the Levellers around 2008 on a Thursday as well who did a great set.

Frank Turner's in Strummerville which will draw a crowd but it doesn't grab my attention

Anyone have any live acts worth seeing they would like to share on here?

Elvana id presume 

46 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Elvana id presume 

Yeah elvana played Williams Green on the Thursday 2019 I think. Was a lot of fun. The big moon and pale waves also played.

Williams Green used to be the place for live music on a Thursday for me😞

I like the glade on a Thursday. Usually something good on iicon as well.

Personally I’m probably going to stay away from anywhere with live music on, on the Thursday. 

Last year, everywhere we tried was rammed and felt like two hundred thousand people all had the same idea.

• Upvote 2

Spent a bit of time in the Rocket Lounge on Thursday last year. Not been there before and it was brilliant, especially Sister Suzie. Looks like she’s playing there again on the Thursday. Would recommend. 

1 hour ago, JB3 said:

Personally I’m probably going to stay away from anywhere with live music on, on the Thursday. 

Last year, everywhere we tried was rammed and felt like two hundred thousand people all had the same idea.

i was going to say this. its just not fun when its jam packed. I will be having a chill and explore.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

Wasn't that Example on Thursday last year? and it was vile overcrowding. 

Daniel Avery, Ewan McVicar etc.

Plenty of room at the back, comfortably managed to get into the middle during Avery. Lovely vibe 

Edited by Skip997

Forget the world that exists outside the fence. Wander. Talk to people. Take in the atmosphere as the excitement builds.

Dip into your stash and find yourself at a random bar and in the middle of an amazing singalong. Dip in again and spend the rest of the night at The Glade/Levels/…

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

New York Brass Band usually play about 200 sets over the weekend (including Thursday). Always used to be a tradition for us to see them at Greenpeace on a Thursday - really good fun. 

They put a shift in! I'm always surprised they're playing in my garden on the Tuesday after the festival 

As said it can be tough getting close to anything at all popular. Last year we were just trying to pass through Shangri-La when Mike Skinner was DJing (we were part of the problem I know) and the crowd was so massive there was nowhere to move in any direction. A claustrophobic's absolute nightmare. 

My main recommendation for Thursday is don't get caught up in hype. Don't rush to see something you're not all that interested in because it's the name that you know. It will be crazy busy for that reason and if it's not something you love don't bother adding to the crowd control issues. There'll be lots of unknown very pleasant things going on in much less crowded places.

If you do really love something be prepared to go an act or 2 before they are on to get a good spot.

• Upvote 1

First year last year so likely so much we missed.

I always hear of these small intimate bars you can get stuck in all night and have a great time.

Any recommendations for the Thursday - seen a few mentioned, any others? 

Last year on Thursday we saw Prima Queen in The Rabbit Hole who were one of the runners up of the emerging talent comp. I think they give all the runners up one or two sets across the weekend in slots like that. Something to look out for that will be crowded but doable. Prima Queen were really good.

3 hours ago, gigpusher said:

My main recommendation for Thursday is don't get caught up in hype. Don't rush to see something you're not all that interested in because it's the name that you know. It will be crazy busy for that reason and if it's not something you love don't bother adding to the crowd control issues. There'll be lots of unknown very pleasant things going on in much less crowded places.

If you do really love something be prepared to go an act or 2 before they are on to get a good spot.

^^^ Great advice. 

Mike skinner was stupid busy on Thursday. We were there an act before and it was already rammed, thought better of it and went to the glade instead had a much better time with space to dance. 

Much better not to get caught in the hype and fomo. 

2 hours ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

^^^ Great advice. 

Mike skinner was stupid busy on Thursday. We were there an act before and it was already rammed, thought better of it and went to the glade instead had a much better time with space to dance. 

Much better not to get caught in the hype and fomo. 

Too many people think they have to be at the biggest thing with little consideration as to whether they'll even think it's the best thing. Even things i do like I tend to avoid if they think they'll be too crazy.

I'd only try and squeeze into an area on Thursday to see an act if it was one I absolutely loved.  There's too little live music on so what is on, is mad busy.  Thursday is my day to bimble about, have a drink, lay on the grass etc.