Strummerville 2024

wozwebs

Will def be checking out Fat White Family (acoustic). Have seen them do this kind of stuff before and it's a really interesting experience, the songs translate very well......

3 minutes ago, sfroml said:

Will def be checking out Fat White Family (acoustic). Have seen them do this kind of stuff before and it's a really interesting experience, the songs translate very well......

there's a few recent/decent vids on youtube from an instore they did in Glasgow I think. Will probably give you an idea as to what the current acoustic version of the band sounds like.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, richy24 said:

This. In 2019, we just chilled, watched the act before and it felt absolutely fine around us. The biggest problem was the bonfire smoke wafting into our face lol

Yes I must admit last year when they lit the fire, I was thinking please don't.  But it's one of my little traditions to be there on Thursday when it's lit, it didn't stop me sweltering though.  Yes, I could have moved but I had a nice position on a comfy sofa!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Physical_graffiti said:

there's a few recent/decent vids on youtube from an instore they did in Glasgow I think. Will probably give you an idea as to what the current acoustic version of the band sounds like.

Yes, I've seen a few of those. Also saw a striped back version of the band a few years back at the Brudenell, was a great evening. We went also manged to see Lias perform with a string quartet at Hebden Bridge which was really good! He's an intriguing fella. Spoke to him and Alex last year at The Glade and they said they'd be making a full band appearance in 2024 at the festival 

• Like 1

When I looked last week Frank Turner needed another 50 shows in addition to those listed to make it to 3000 for Alexander Palace for his 3000th show.

This one means only another 49 to slot somewhere before then in an already packed schedule.

I expect at least 5 more slots around Glastonbury - BBC Introducing for one and hopefully some short surprise slots in Small World or Croissant Neuf would be nice.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Silly question probably, but I'll ask it anyway.  As I'm not familiar with most of these acts, are they listed headliner down?

Some artists are down as different names on the poster, so there'll be a few surprise acts. Frank Turner is on at 4pm Thursday 

• Upvote 1

I wish every announced area could put a little effort in to writing a paragraph, maybe a few links to acts (especially if new to festival). You've only got to do it once a year.

Hats off to West Holts this year - miles ahead of everyone else with effort. 

1 hour ago, Drfoxxx said:

Worth giving Tom Bright a listen, he's class 😁

Yes, I've seen him, think he played last year? 

I love Strummerville. I've never been for a specific band in recent times, we go up for a good view, good ales, and a relax. It's a lovely place.

1 minute ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I love Strummerville. I've never been for a specific band in recent times, we go up for a good view, good ales, and a relax. It's a lovely place.

Yeah he was on Thursday afternoon, first time I've watched him and he was class. Perfect at Strummerville when it's a hot day too!

I really don’t understand the Frank turner love. Genuinely thought he was awful. In saying that he seems to be popular and I would say they are now panicking about bicep on Thursday as that will be dangerously rammed. Hence why he’s on Thursday  

17 minutes ago, Ncahir94 said:

I really don’t understand the Frank turner love. Genuinely thought he was awful. In saying that he seems to be popular and I would say they are now panicking about bicep on Thursday as that will be dangerously rammed. Hence why he’s on Thursday  

Not sure what time Bicep are on (would imagine it's late on), but I've been told that Frank Turner's on at 4pm Thursday. 

Edited by Drfoxxx

32 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

He was on last year before Lottery Winners. And he was on in 2015 before Frank Turner. He's got a habit of always being the act before whoever I go and see in Strummerville, but it's been a happy coincidence as I've enjoyed him both times.

2 hours ago, foolee said:

Watched Frank Turner there in 2019 and they shut the stage down and had people climbing over fences, felt very old school. 

That was a secret set and on a Saturday too! I can’t believe they’ve announced him and on the thursday. The man has just sold out 10,000 Ally Pally in 2 days 😂 

6 minutes ago, jonnyisRFC said:

That was a secret set and on a Saturday too! I can’t believe they’ve announced him and on the thursday. The man has just sold out 10,000 Ally Pally in 2 days 😂 

I love him but I'll be staying away from anything that'll be too crazy busy (apart from Coldplay hopefully but will turn up a couple of acts before this time). No crushes, no stress is the plan. I could see the hill by Strummerville last time from the other side of the site, and I'm not feeling that at all

Edited by efcfanwirral

9 minutes ago, jonnyisRFC said:

Was definitely the Thursday in Strummerville. I was surprised to hear of the drama going on outside as it was pretty spacious inside at the time. Think I got there maybe 1 or 2 acts before.

He played a secret set at Greenpeace on the Saturday that year. I wasn't aware it was happening but still managed to stumble across it. You're never more than 5 minutes away from a Frank Turner set on a year that he's playing! 

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I love him but I'll be staying away from anything that'll be too crazy busy (apart from Coldplay hopefully but will turn up a couple of acts before this time). No crushes, no stress is the plan. I could see the hill by Strummerville last time from the other side of the site, and I'm not feeling that at all

I can see the hill putting a lot of people off to be honest. But I'd echo what others in here have said, that if you've got there early enough (i.e. for the previous act) then you should be absolutely fine. Even when it's got busy previously, the layout of Strummerville means it's never felt crushed to me (and the slope means you can be towards the back and still see!)

1 hour ago, mouserat said:

I can see the hill putting a lot of people off to be honest. But I'd echo what others in here have said, that if you've got there early enough (i.e. for the previous act) then you should be absolutely fine. Even when it's got busy previously, the layout of Strummerville means it's never felt crushed to me (and the slope means you can be towards the back and still see!)

I remember walking up the hill to Strummerville with my father in law to see Frank Turner a few years back, we got side-tracked by a guy doing a wood carving and got chatting to him and his friends. As good West Country lads the conversation quickly turned to cider and one of the blokes said he brewed his own and would we like to try some, a few pints of rough later and we realised we'd missed Franks set but had a lovely time nonetheless, there's always something to distract you from your plans at Glastonbury.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jonnyisRFC said:

I thought it was early evening on Thursday and although Glasto didn't announce it Frank did on twitter a couple of days before so not secret at all!

I'm guessing Frank Turner will have a full band slot on a main stage (early Other most likely) then Strummerville and Avalon acoustic sets, and maybe one more secret set somewhere (Leftfield, Greenpeace, BBC Intro, Acoustic seem the front runners)