Give me someone new to listen to

StuwieG

2 minutes ago, lendan said:

I don’t think so, low down on the park,  Avalon? Only been the once so unsure if they’d suit Avalon. I see Hobo Jones and Elvana in the tent last year 

seeing Elvana next week in Colchester which should be fun

Sorry, I thought u were saying they are already on the line up. I was there for Elvana last year. They are brilliant!

so many incredible acts lower down that your general music listener wont know about and instead post on facebook about the lineup being sh*t , case in point:

Sofia Kourtesis
Alvvays
Mannequin pussy
Barry cant swim
Soccer Mommy
RemiWolf

why not check your spotify for what their algorithm thinks you'll like. there's normally  a few good ideas on that.

Edited by Neil

27 minutes ago, Neil said:

why not check your spotify for what their algorithm thinks you'll like. there's normally  a few good ideas on that.

does spotify know you are going to glastonbury ? 👀

Edited by TiZuff

Alvvays are one of my favourite current band. Their first (self titled) album is so moody, and it still stirs up emotions in me now with the haunting melodies. Their next two albums are good too, but their first is epic.

Been getting up to speed with Bombay's new stuff, will be great on a summer afternoon.

Also been checking out Alvvays, Newdad, Barry Cant Swim, and Bar Italia(what a cool band they are)! 

The Park stage looks really good for me personally this year, to have Dexys doing some classics up there, Orbital as well, along with newer acts, and then Fontaines headlining the Friday night in the dark, absolutely superb!

I'm sadly not going to the festival, but I love using festival lineups to find new music

After seeing all the mentions of them I finally got around to listening to Barry Can't Swim, absolutely fantastic, definitely going to be on the regular rotation now 

On 3/15/2024 at 8:45 AM, StuwieG said:

There was a similar thread after the lineup was out in 2021, of acts lower down the billing who people might not be aware of. (I discovered Confidence Man off the back of this). 

Who are people recommending this year? 

Tell me something about you. What's your background and what styles of music and artists are known to you? Are you a layperson or do you have a musical background?

46 minutes ago, BluesManP said:

Tell me something about you. What's your background and what styles of music and artists are known to you? Are you a layperson or do you have a musical background?

And do you wear socks in bed? 

On 3/15/2024 at 4:19 PM, Beerqueen said:

Love Yard Act - saw them in Williams Green in 2022 and have listened to them regularly since then.  There is something about his voice that just puts a smile on my face.  And funnily enough I got to Black Pumas in my playlist today and really liked them too.  We must have similar taste so is there anyone else you'd recommend?

Going to see Yard Act in Bristol next Sat. Love their album. 

14 hours ago, BluesManP said:

I don't know what a layperson is? 

Enjoying NewDad and Alvvays so far. Otoboke Beaver were a bit too mad for me 😬

From my "research" after the WH Spotify debacle and poster drop the acts I really like so far are Black Pumas (very old school sounding soul/rock with a bit of a twist) and Asha Puthli (Psychedelic soundscapes with a 60's/70's vibe).

Still working through the list.  

13 hours ago, StuwieG said:

I don't know what a layperson is? 

Enjoying NewDad and Alvvays so far. Otoboke Beaver were a bit too mad for me 😬

A layperson in this context is someone has no training in music and/or is not familiar with music theory.

I was hoping to get an overall picture of what music you already know so I can suggest things that you don't know. Since I don't have that, I will try my best. Let's go:

The bands you mentioned fall under rock or pop-rock so I will give one "modern" act that falls under the label of rock and then one "old" act that has nothing to do with rock music.

------------------------

Style Adjacent

Act: Polyphia

Short Listening: Ego Death, Playing God

Longer Listening: Remember that You Will Die

Notes: this act belongs to what we could call mgm or millennial guitar music. It describes a family of styles that take inspiration from djent, bepop, neo-soul and math rock among others to create what is often called "virtuoso playing" where there is strong emphasis on technique, complex riff and avoiding your everyday chords. Mgm focuses on technique and artistry over convention and tradition and most of the time the musical pieces have no lyrics. Also, often the artists don't fall in specific genres as their music doesn't fully fit established styles. Similar artists in this nebulous family are Mateus Asato, Animals As Leaders, Ichika Nito and Manuel Gardner. I am just a fan boy but I think they represent a new era in the way modern guitar music is made that breaks away from late 20th century electric guitar music.

Non-Style Adjacent

Act: Buena Vista Social Club

Short Listening: Chan Chan, Candela

Longer Listening: Buena Vista Social Club

Notes: an album of traditional Cuban music. It became the poster child of a revival in traditional Cuban music after it faded away at the dawn of rock music. Nothing else to add. I thought I would give something more out there (assuming you are mostly familiar with late 20th century rock music).

Edited by BluesManP