Glastonbury lineup poster 2024

Crazyfool01

3 minutes ago, Benjsh said:

I'm struggling to see where the money has been spent personally. 

Coldplay - Said to not get paid very much whenever they play as they are friends of the festival. Their tours make fortunes also so not like they need the extra money at their age. One of a few acts who still make a lot of money from their music too given how many records they sell. 

SZA - Somebody I wasn't aware even existed a few weeks ago. Even if she's popular with the youth I can't imagine she's asking for huge fees given she's hardly a big name outside of the US. 

Dua Lipa - I'd hazard a guess at her being the most expensive of the 3 headliners given her universal popularity. It's not music I listen to but I appreciate that anyone who listens to mainstream stuff she's about as big as anyone around right now. 

A

re we seeing the knock on effect of bands and artists now demanding more money to play? Festivals, not just Glasto, as a whole this year look weaker than usual and I have my suspicions that's because the budgets aren't stretching as far as they once did. You only have to look at how much gig tickets have increased over the last 3 years. 

I think the stellar line ups of the past are going to be very hard to replicate again now sadly. 

I feel people are often harsh with festivals and Glasto in particular when it comes to money. ALL festivals are struggling. Many have shut down for a while and some permanently. Glasto, a festival with worldwide appealing, in particular could easily charge double and still sell out well before the festival season. Yet they don't. They barely increased the ticket prices this year even though they could. To bring worldclass artists, huge number of atendees and pay a fair wage to all workers that make sure everyone is safe, fed, hydrated and able to see or perform for the duration of the festival is a herculean task in 2024. We should never take it for granted.

7 minutes ago, Benjsh said:

Coldplay - Said to not get paid very much whenever they play as they are friends of the festival. Their tours make fortunes also so not like they need the extra money at their age. One of a few acts who still make a lot of money from their music too given how many records they sell. 

SZA - Somebody I wasn't aware even existed a few weeks ago. Even if she's popular with the youth I can't imagine she's asking for huge fees given she's hardly a big name outside of the US. 

Dua Lipa - I'd hazard a guess at her being the most expensive of the 3 headliners given her universal popularity. It's not music I listen to but I appreciate that anyone who listens to mainstream stuff she's about as big as anyone around right now. 

A

re we seeing the knock on effect of bands and artists now demanding more money to play? Festivals, not just Glasto, as a whole this year look weaker than usual and I have my suspicions that's because the budgets aren't stretching as far as they once did. You only have to look at how much gig tickets have increased over the last 3 years. 

I think the stellar line ups of the past are going to be very hard to replicate again now sadly. 

Not wishing to be harsh, but you don't seem to know very much about the festival... 

https://www.nme.com/news/music/glastonbury-donated-record-breaking-3-7m-to-good-causes-in-2023-3559447

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I dont think its the acts. Its everything else. 

Think it's probably a combination of it all. 

Running costs and wages going up as well as fees for bands/artists. I know the ticket price has increased too but judging by that line up announcement it's maybe not increased enough if we are to expect the stellar line ups of the past. 

Genuinely think we've been spoiled for a long time though. My first Glasto was 2004 which is widely spoken of as one of the best years of all time. I was also at 2010 which was another belter.

It will still be the highlight of the year as the place is incredible but it's the first time ever I think that none of the 6 main headliners are really for me. 

7 minutes ago, Benjsh said:

A

what money. They dont have money to spend? If Coldplay is doing it essentially for free and you couldnt use your extra  funds to even secure Madonna then you go with whats around. 

how about the fact that maybe artists figured out being paid in exposure isnt what its cracked up to be. Because in the real world if you want to pay somebody that way you get laughed out of the room. Somehow in the music business its acceptable behaviour and ya'll are ok with that. So artists wanting a fair payday shouldnt be a shock given the current climate. Maybe this lineup will actually hammer home the notion that artists say no to even the mighty glasto and no festival is immune.

I want to know which of you is going to see Seventeen. They actually dared to book a K Pop act.its a miracle.

havent seen 18 out of whats on the poster. And of those not much catches my eye. So somethings missing for sure.

4 hours ago, airwaves said:

I reckon that Emily shot herself in the foot when she declared LAST YEAR that she had 2 female headliners and female legend and then failed to get contracts with Madonna, Taylor Swift, O-Rod or Stevie Nicks

Ended up with decidedly 2nd string Plan D artists

But hey, headliners probably relatively cheap so more money for charity?? 

"failed to get contracts with Madonna, Taylor Swift, O-Rod or Stevie Nicks" is that a fact or just speculation? I think calling the artists "decidedly 2nd string Plan D artists" is a bit mean. Maybe you don't like them, their music, their music genre or don't know them but it doesn't make them second class.

Just now, BluesManP said:

"failed to get contracts with Madonna, Taylor Swift, O-Rod or Stevie Nicks" is that a fact or just speculation? I think calling the artists "decidedly 2nd string Plan D artists" is a bit mean. Maybe you don't like them, their music, their music genre or don't know them but it doesn't make them second class.

SZA is one of the smallest headliners they've had that I can remember 

2 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Not wishing to be harsh, but you don't seem to know very much about the festival... 

https://www.nme.com/news/music/glastonbury-donated-record-breaking-3-7m-to-good-causes-in-2023-3559447

Well that's simply not true. I have been lots of times and fully aware of the amazing donations they make. That's never stopped them putting on incredible line ups though. 

It seems like the main stages are almost complete too which only a few more to be added. That was why I was questioning where the money has gone.

I'm going to say something very obvious now, but I think it does need to be said . You have to factor in that the true strength of any line up can only be considered entirely in hindsight. It's not really now, it's in 5, 10, 20 years later etc. When you're comparing to previous line ups you're always factoring what they go onto. 

100k people are going to be listening to these acts over the new few months. Those that look weak now might have massive crowds by the time of the festival and some of these "new" acts could have their breakout moment and go onto be stars in the future. So when you look back it doesn't look "weak" at all. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Lana also has 9 albums I think many of which reached UK number one. SZA has two albums which did little over here. Anyway you cut it Lana is bigger. Her Reading Leeds announcement seemed to go down well too on social media.

Apart from monthly streams where SZA has 71.8m to Lana’s 58.3m

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

I'm going to say something very obvious now, but I think it does need to be said . You have to factor in that the true strength of any line up can only be considered entirely in hindsight. It's not really now, it's in 5, 10, 20 years later etc. When you're comparing to previous line ups you're always factoring what they go onto. 

100k people are going to be listening to these acts over the new few months. Those that look weak now might have massive crowds by the time of the festival and some of these "new" acts could have their breakout moment and go onto be stars in the future. So when you look back it doesn't look "weak" at all. 

That's usually the case. Butbthay argument crumbles in the reality of a good chunk of this year's lineup. Noone is going to look back and think that Fat White Family, PJ Harvey and Camilla Cabello were underbilled.

3 minutes ago, MrSpaM said:

Seventeen is basically them testing the water in the aim to book Blackpink to headline next year

Lots of kids super excited about Seventeen on the instagram comments for the poster drop. 

12 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

how about the fact that maybe artists figured out being paid in exposure isnt what its cracked up to be. Because in the real world if you want to pay somebody that way you get laughed out of the room. Somehow in the music business its acceptable behaviour and ya'll are ok with that. So artists wanting a fair payday shouldnt be a shock given the current climate. Maybe this lineup will actually hammer home the notion that artists say no to even the mighty glasto and no festival is immune.

Define a fair pay day