UK Politics

kalifire

I know folks are desperate for something other than tory rule but how do you manage to just ignore everything Starmer’s Labour say and do and make up your own version of who they are?

In a decade or so, the only thing that will remain of another lacklustre New Labour govt will be another insufferable odd couple podcast with Starmer and David Cameron chuckling their way through wacky political anecdotes and into the hearts of centrist dads everywhere, their despicable records long since forgotten.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

I know folks are desperate for something other than tory rule but how do you manage to just ignore everything Starmer’s Labour say and do and make up your own version of who they are?

In a decade or so, the only thing that will remain of another lacklustre New Labour govt will be another insufferable odd couple podcast with Starmer and David Cameron chuckling their way through wacky political anecdotes and into the hearts of centrist dads everywhere, their despicable records long since forgotten.

As someone who was born in 1977 and lived through Thatcher, Major, Blair, Brown, Cameron and the whole cavalcade of c**ts that followed him it’s very easy to be enthusiastic about Starmer. I was 11 when Thatcher left. I was 20 when Blair got in. I was 33 when Cameron got in. I know the f**king difference.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

if they don't want that battle, the likes of abbott and corbyn (I'm unsure about others) only have to take the simple steps they've been asked to take. if those leftist MP's  are too stupid to remain as labour MPs  that's their issue.

58 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

that's you for ever about corbyn - including "corbyn's labour", and now you about abbot too!

25 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

As someone who was born in 1977 and lived through Thatcher, Major, Blair, Brown, Cameron and the whole cavalcade of c**ts that followed him it’s very easy to be enthusiastic about Starmer. I was 11 when Thatcher left. I was 20 when Blair got in. I was 33 when Cameron got in. I know the f**king difference.

Blair came to power at a time when the global economy was going gang busters and ramped up the public spending and everyone had a nice few years. Unfortunately it was all smoke and mirrors, funding profligate current account spending and ineffective reforms by flogging off assets and PFI and now you have little to show for it.

Had they won in 2010, alastair darling was committed to austerity promised greater and deeper ’swingeing cuts’ than the tories.

Philosophically there is a fag paper’s difference between Blair and Cameron.

And now their heirs Starmer and Reeves reaffirm this time and again in both words and deeds but for some reason people have decided that they shall disbelieve what Starmer and Reeves say and do and instead hold on to some odd fiction that they are secret radicals. Presumably because they are at least nominally still ’Labour’ and the association of that brand with doing good things has still not completely died.. yet.

I predict another decade of austerity, underfunded public services, paternalistic authoritarianism and overseas interventionism. But dont say I didnt warn you!

Edited by mattiloy

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

while those like you are too busy chuckling  within your own smugness  - you didn't even notice corbyn's despicable history, or the compromises he made to try to try to achieve power, he was fatally flawed from the off because his history [which you still haven't acknowledged].

people like me, learned the lesson of michael foot, will you learn the lesson and call out the inevitable next stupid generation, when the same problem comes round again)

7 hours ago, Neil said:

if they don't want that battle, the likes of abbott and corbyn (I'm unsure about others) only have to take the simple steps they've been asked to take. if those leftist MP's  are too stupid to remain as labour MPs  that's their issue.

The problem for Abbott is she introduced her own hierarchy of racism, with Jews, travellers and Irish fighting it out with redheads for bottom place. Anyway, this whole Hester thing might actually improve her chances of restoring the whip (if she actually wants it restored)...as long as she's careful with her social media in the meantime.

MPs rejected House of Lords Rwanda bill amendments last night, so back to the Lords...and Labour peers won't do anything so will likely pass and then suddenly the government can ignore the courts and just make Rwanda safe because they say so and get flights going...and then they can put that on their election pamphlets.

Edited by steviewevie

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Galloway says he'll challenge Burnham for Gtr Manchester mayor in 2028. Something to look forward to. He'll have to hope Israel and/or Palestine still exists....and that Burnham hasn't quit to do a podcast with Steve Rotheram.

Gallloway also said after winning Rochdale that he would stand there at the next election and the one after he would be 75 and out of politics.......................... almost like he tells porkies.

40 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

MPs rejected House of Lords Rwanda bill amendments last night, so back to the Lords...and Labour peers won't do anything so will likely pass and then suddenly the government can ignore the courts and just make Rwanda safe because they say so and get flights going...and then they can put that on their election pamphlets.

I did say a while back this would happen - cos the Lords cannot stop it happening regardless.......................

There will be a flight sometime - it may only have one person on it but then headlines are all they really want.

53 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I did say a while back this would happen - cos the Lords cannot stop it happening regardless.......................

There will be a flight sometime - it may only have one person on it but then headlines are all they really want.

flights to Rwanda...inflation below 2%...interest rates coming down...more tax cuts...and that nice Penny Mordaunt instead of Sunak. Autumn 24.

On 3/10/2024 at 3:42 PM, Neil said:

i'm going rental, have got a lovely place sorted ...... (if i buy again it'll probably be somewhere dirt cheap such as weston or Plymouth). those numbers are accurate, bought for £125k in 2012, the Bristol housing market has been nuts, can check that with @kaosmark2 who has been trying to buy in bristol for a few years.

just been to look at my new flat and got a move-in date , its bleeding lovely  and dirt cheap cos the council cover most of it  with housing benefit 🙂 

1 hour ago, Neil said:

just been to look at my new flat and got a move-in date , its bleeding lovely  and dirt cheap cos the council cover most of it  with housing benefit 🙂 

Is that supported accomodation for housing benefit? Not sure you'll get Housing Benefit if your capital after selling your house is over 16,000

1 minute ago, lazyred said:

Is that supported accomodation for housing benefit? Not sure you'll get Housing Benefit if your capital after selling your house is over 16,000

Yes supported accommodation with housing benefit.

You're right about the house  - though is up for sale and housing benefit will have to be repaid when sold.

Until then I can ignore the housing costs.

The flat is very cheap for quality housing in Bristol.

When I move in I'll be set for life. 🙂

46 minutes ago, Neil said:

Yes supported accommodation with housing benefit.

You're right about the house  - though is up for sale and housing benefit will have to be repaid when sold.

Until then I can ignore the housing costs.

The flat is very cheap for quality housing in Bristol.

When I move in I'll be set for life. 🙂

Ah, staying in Bristol then. Nice. Happy moving

16 hours ago, Neil said:

I agree with Abbott and Corbyn's suspensions, but why were they asked to take antisemitism/similar training, when Neil Coyle wasn't asked to take Sinophobia training?

42 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I agree with Abbott and Corbyn's suspensions, but why were they asked to take antisemitism/similar training, when Neil Coyle wasn't asked to take Sinophobia training?

he did go on some sort of training course for it didn't he? because he put the cost of it on his expenses...