What Happened To All The Klezmer and Electro-Swing?

CaledonianGonzo

5 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

is this thread anything to do with this ? if not im clueless 

No idea what Klezmer is

Electro swing was an annoyingly pretentious genre that was over popular once upon a time

I love Klezmer (& Balkan) music, Glastonbury helped as I saw Oi Va Voi there twice and the Bath band Ninotchka several times, they remain some of my favourite festival memories, also the Scottish band Moishe’s Bagel elsewhere. Off to see Paprika in London soon. I’d describe them as Electro-Swing, the great Argentinian band Gotan Project, sadly long since gone:

1 hour ago, faymondo said:

Used to love seeing The Destroyers on Avalon. Haven't played for a good few years now.

I knew Pete Murphy. He was a friend of the family's. I don't think (and I am 58 years old) I've ever met a more genuine, lovely person, and nicer soul. There were tragedies in his life and he battled against them valiantly. He was, without doubt, a beacon of light.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I knew Pete Murphy. He was a friend of the family's. I don't think (and I am 58 years old) I've ever met a more genuine, lovely person, and nicer soul. There were tragedies in his life and he battled against them valiantly. He was, without doubt, a beacon of light.

Was a bit out of it when I posted this. It's Paul, not Pete. I have no idea where the Pete came from. 

15 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I love Klezmer (& Balkan) music, Glastonbury helped as I saw Oi Va Voi there twice and the Bath band Ninotchka several times, they remain some of my favourite festival memories, also the Scottish band Moishe’s Bagel elsewhere. Off to see Paprika in London soon. I’d describe them as Electro-Swing, the great Argentinian band Gotan Project, sadly long since gone:

Gotan Project were actually French, I think - albeit obviously dabbling in Argie music.

On klezmer fading away I wonder if it's the old 'not enough tickets for all the band members' conundrum. 

Or maybe Covid and Brexit also helped do away with it as well, with lots of Eastern Europeans heading homewards after the pound plummeted 

e.g. Edinburgh's Orkestra del Sol used to be a common site in the farm but seemed to go belly up in 2017, which seems suspicious timing

http://www.orkestradelsol.co.uk/