Resale Groups

MatthewTurner

6 minutes ago, Looother said:

Hospitality tickets have gone up to £900 this year.

I'm crazy enough I'd probably do it, but how does someone get the right connections to buy one while also being able to verify it isn't one of the many scams out there? 

Edited by efcfanwirral

10 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I'm crazy enough I'd probably do it, but how does someone get the right connections to buy one while also being able to verify it isn't one of the many scams out there? 

I think if you want to buy one from source you probably need to work for the right companies, or in the right industries. Otherwise you get one from one of the festival's neighbors as part of an expensive glamping package. I got a couple this year through working for one of the festival's partners - we have a staff ballot every year.

1 minute ago, Looother said:

I think if you want to buy one from source you probably need to work for the right companies, or in the right industries. Otherwise you get one from one of the festival's neighbors as part of an expensive glamping package. I got a couple this year through working for one of the festival's partners - we have a staff ballot every year.

Very interesting! Well if anyone with the connections sees this and wants to message me go ahead 😂

1 hour ago, Ryan1984 said:

I’ve made peace that I’ll be missing this year. Do you think we’ll ever get to a stage where it doesn’t instantly sell out?

A good question and one that I was thinking about myself while in the middle of ticket chaos. I feel like for tickets demand to fall off, something bad would have to happen - one way or another. The festival would have to put on an absolute sh*t show for multiple years in a row (which it won't do, assuming Emily et al want Glastonbury to have a long future), there would have to be serious security concerns (edgy crowd, people generally feeling unsafe and not wanting to return - if it got to this point, I don't think it would be a nice event to attend, no matter how much you wanted to go), or continuous terrible weather (too extreme with no way to counterbalance the effects, resulting in being on site being miserable and not worth your time). Any of those scenarios are not things any fan of the festival should be wishing for - things that would jeopardise the future of the festival. I think the thing that works in Glastonbury's favour is that a lot of their marketing work is done by the companies they're in commercial contracts/partnerships with as well as the punters who regularly attend. Talk of 'Glastonbury magic', 'life changing experiences', bucket lists, it being suitable for all ages, oh, and to top it all off, the kind of legend status you achieve as being a ticket holder or someone who has attended. It's a blessing and a curse but I don't see anything letting up unless things go seriously wrong.  

2 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

I’ve made peace that I’ll be missing this year. Do you think we’ll ever get to a stage where it doesn’t instantly sell out?

I love Glastonbury and understand it's more than just the headliners (I think I've seen about three headliners in my four festivals), but I think the diverging trends in popular music are going to have a real knock on impact on booking headliners, as we've sort of seen this year. A lack of real enduring megastars coming through - sorry to sound like your dad, but it's true - plus pop in the streaming age being a lot more ephemeral and thus the average Joe losing touch with what's popular means the pool of multigenerational, mass-appeal talent who haven't headlined previously/recently is growing smaller.

Obviously it's not all about the chart-topping acts, but we're running out of Elton Johns and Paul McCartneys, I think, and acts of that calibre are still are huge draws to people. Anecdotally, I reckon there's been a bit of a sea change this year and, coupled with how increasingly expensive it's becoming, I wouldn't be surprised to see interest wane a little bit over the next ten years. I could see Glastonbury in the 2030s having a lot fewer big hitters and winning back some of the "it's lost its credibility because they booked Dua Lipa!!!!" crowd, but also alienating some of the people who jumped on board in the 2010s and 2020s.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

It’s not what you know it’s who you know. Industry bods will be either offered or allowed to purchase a certain number of hospitality tickets. I think you have to prove you have the right connections. 

As someone who has now stayed in hospitality twice it’s not as good as it’s cracked up to be. Last year it was so obviously oversold everyone was crammed in like sardines and people were starting to pitch on fire escape routes. Lots of people arriving and leaving throughout the weekend and not staying for the whole time. LOTS of very posh folk.

But that said if you’ve got the connections and the money it’s a way into the festival! 

2 hours ago, cb4747 said:

It’s not what you know it’s who you know. Industry bods will be either offered or allowed to purchase a certain number of hospitality tickets. I think you have to prove you have the right connections. 

As someone who has now stayed in hospitality twice it’s not as good as it’s cracked up to be. Last year it was so obviously oversold everyone was crammed in like sardines and people were starting to pitch on fire escape routes. Lots of people arriving and leaving throughout the weekend and not staying for the whole time. LOTS of very posh folk.

But that said if you’ve got the connections and the money it’s a way into the festival! 

Some of my friends have got hospitality in the the past  and they just camp with us as normal.

You don't have to camp in the hospitality area.

11 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I think the chances of that happening is remote to non existent. Every year whilst more people want to go, those who have been many times continue to go, the tickets will always be in demand. The mud of 2016 had no affect on the tickets the following year.,

This 100%

10 hours ago, Looother said:

Hospitality tickets have gone up to £900 this year.

We'd pay £900 if I could get my hands on one. Just need to find a contact in the industry haha 

Edited by kemosabe

10 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

We'd pay £900 if I could get my hands on one. Just need to find a contact in the industry haha 

Most won’t sell for that, and will bundle it with something. I’m waiting to hear back from my contact but I have a feeling they’re probably all allocated now this close to the festival. Sometimes they get last min drop outs but not always 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

I think thousands of ticketless people would pay that price without much thought.

The problem is the tickets aren't actually readily available for that amount, and 3, 4 or 5 grand is a bit more difficult.

3 hours ago, cb4747 said:

I'd hate it in the hospitality bit but it'd only be for a way in for me, would only use that area for sleeping! 

35 minutes ago, mjfromthelane said:

I think thousands of ticketless people would pay that price without much thought.

The problem is the tickets aren't actually readily available for that amount, and 3, 4 or 5 grand is a bit more difficult.

I think I'd be happy to pay a grand for a general admission ticket, I like Glastonbury that much that £1000 still feels worth it to me. If the festival did an early-bird sale the Tuesday evening after the festival ended and sold, say, 20,000 tickets for the next year's festival at a grand, or even £1500, I'd throw my money at it.

34 minutes ago, mjfromthelane said:

Appreciate that pal haha.

But how many of those thousands are actively still looking after the resale. and yeah it's probably as unlikely as winning the Guardian ticket comp, but if I keep looking it only needs one person who reads this place, to hear of one going and get in touch. No point being negative about it, if it doesn't happen then we haven't lost anything.      

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kemosabe said:

Appreciate that pal haha.

But how many of those thousands are actively still looking after the resale. and yeah it's probably as unlikely as winning the Guardian ticket comp, but if I keep looking it only needs one person who reads this place, to hear of one going and get in touch. No point being negative about it, if it doesn't happen then we haven't lost anything.      

It's great to be positive, but the hospitality tickets go to people in the industry. If someone has access to them and doesn't want to use it themselves, they will have a queue of friends and family who will take it off their hands (i.e. people they like and know). if it is getting to the stage they are happy to offload them to some random on the internet, then it will be for a huge profit, like £5k+ upwards.

If you can somehow gain access to hospitality tickets, it wont be for face value, unless you can befriend someone who has access to them to the point they like you enough to sell it to you for face value, and they dont want it themselves.

Edited by The Orgazoid

Just noticed this morning that the browser I used autorefresh on yesterday is still getting the holding countdown whenever I go to Glastonbury.seetickets.co.uk.

Private window (as you would expect) is able to go straight on. Anyone else who used auto refresh still getting the same thing? I wonder if they've actually done something to protect against it...

A lottery/ballot is a terrible idea. At least with the current system there is some modicum of effort required to try and get a ticket. I'd rather lose out to someone who is up, organised and refreshing like mad rather than someone who filled in a form on a whim and doesn't really care if they get a ticket or not. 

1 hour ago, zzzfest2.0 said:

It’s about time to introduce lottery system for the ticket booking/purchase as some folks have claimed every now and then. Seriously.

The whole chaos should end.

This has been done to death and there's even another active thread on a 'queue' system which would basically be a lottery.

As many have said, all it would mean is probably 2x or 3x more casuals trying and an even lesser chance of tickets. A different kind of chaos...