Glastonbury 2024 Essentials

IBCanon

Comfy socks - at least a couple more pairs than days you're there. Hiking boots & gaiters (if its not a dry one).

Decent Tent (Get a "Fresh and Black" if you need a new one) , inflatable mattress, sleeping bag, spirits in plastic bottles, bin bags (for rubbish, emergency waterproof covering, seats etc), toothbrush & toothpaste, empty lenor bottle (wide mouthed). spare clothes, sweatshirt/hoodie (as it gets cold at 3AM), earplugs, lightweight waterproof coat, suncream, blister plasters, paracetamols, deodorant. 

That's all I took last time and was perfectly fine - 100L rucksack, pop-up tent and an Aldi bag of spirits & diet coke on the coach..

Mistakes I made as a first time goer, which I'll rectify going into my 2nd year -

1. Footwear - I wore some beaten up trainers that I didn't mind losing, and completely underestimated the amount of walking on tough ground you'll end up doing. I walked 21km on the first day, and that doesn't include 2 hours at night where I was wandering around trying to find my lost phone, which a lovely gentleman had charged up for me to collect the next day.

2. Powerbank - I took one, which I believe was 10000mAh, which died on the Saturday evening. I then spent the next day being that annoying friend using everybody elses, so I'd recommend a 20000mAh one if you're quite frequent on your phone. 

3. Sleeping bag - I accidentally bought a kids sleeping bag that only went up to my waist, which I decided to go ahead with anyway as I thought it'd be funny... it wasn't. I was freezing cold on the first night of a day that I believe had reached about 36 degrees. I ended up buying a duvet at a shop on site, which isn't a bad move if you don't want to bring a sleeping bag and are happy to donate it at the end. Saves a little bit of valuable space.

4. Clothes - Rookie move for somebody who'd been to so many festivals but I thought 5 days = 5 pairs of socks. I'd probably double that next year. I also didn't bring a hoodie so ended up having to buy one in merch for about £50. 

5. Alcohol/mixer - We brought as much as we could physically carry, but the main mistake here was we all brought about 6l of soft drink for spirit mixers. There is a co-op on site where you can buy multi-packs of Coke cans etc, so if you're trying to keep light I'd suggest just bringing however much spirits you'd like, and buying the mixer on site. We also brought in a couple of crates of beer each, but I think next year I'll just buy pints at the bars, as the taste of having a cold one made the price worthwhile in my opinion. Maybe bring a crate for the campsite.

Hope that helps somebody!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, skinnymike said:

Imagine going to Glastonbury without a phone. You got no mates to meet up with?

back in the day it was very much the case that people didn't have them and relied on either chance encounters , chatting to strangers or the random post it note messages at the meeting points ( not sure they ever worked though ) some people prefer to shutoff from outside life 

12 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

back in the day it was very much the case that people didn't have them and relied on either chance encounters , chatting to strangers or the random post it note messages at the meeting points ( not sure they ever worked though ) some people prefer to shutoff from outside life 

Yeah but this is 2023 old man. Will you be taking your phone?

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Let's be clear that the 'putting notes on the meeting point' method of meeting up with friends f**king sucked and anyone romanticising it is a doofus.

That’s why I commented I don’t think it ever worked 🙂 but the point that people don’t have to have phones stands as it works for some 

13 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Nah I'll always throw a camping chair into this mix. A camping chair that never leaves your camp site, mind. None of this pitching up a chair at the Pyramid, but after 10s of 1000s of steps for hours and hours, having a camping chair to chill in whenever you want is absolutely vital.

19 hours ago, skinnymike said:

Imagine going to Glastonbury without a phone. You got no mates to meet up with?

I know where most of them are during daylight hours.

Otherwise what’s wrong with the “I’ll meet you at (insert location here) at (insert time here)”.

I’ve done loads of Glastonbury’s without a phone.