2024 Ticket Buying Tips

parsonjack

6 minutes ago, Bolivia95 said:

I’ve seen a few people this year claiming a ‘back door’ link using an IP. Has this always been a thing? I’ve seen the posts from 2012 but not much mention of it since.

This comment is from 2018 which I think is referring to 2012.

Yes that was referring back to the 2013 'untargeted server' hosts file hack, and subsequent speculation about there being spare servers in case of any frontline servers falling over, which IIRC hadn't been discovered by that point

A friend just told me someone they know got in via a link posted online that took them straight to the booking page, and got 6 lots of 6 tickets.  Is this related to the IP address exploit or a separate issue?

Either way I'm pretty pissed about all this. I feel like I've been cheated out of a ticket.

3 minutes ago, Lubic said:

A friend just told me someone they know got in via a link posted online that took them straight to the booking page, and got 6 lots of 6 tickets.  Is this related to the IP address exploit or a separate issue?

Either way I'm pretty pissed about all this. I feel like I've been cheated out of a ticket.

I understand the IP address ‘hack’ require you to change the host IP in the laptops settings rather than enter a link.

It would be interested to know the link they used, could potentially help me you, I and other for resale

5 minutes ago, Lubic said:

Exactly this, the link would've taken them to the IP in the "hack" basically it's an easy ride then as very few would've been on that server, instead we were battling with 2 million other devices on the correct links 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RyanSmith9311 said:

I’m sure all the extra social media posts/mainstream media reports led to no extra registrations in those 2 weeks👍.

Not the individuals’ fault, of course, it’s the organisation of it. Just get it right

The people I knew trying jumped massively, doubling from about 75 to 150, and they were all people who weren’t registered before the news of the delayed sale.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, ProperTea said:

I agree that the SeeTickets backdoor is awful, but the idea of Ticketmaster or AXS taking over the sale utterly terrifies me.

I can't see how it could be worse

Thousands of tickets today clearly went via this quick access, while everyone else basically queued for nothing (and again this will be biased to large buying groups as they are more likely to find this out)

I think the system is terrible, successful or not, and every year say it should be a ballot.

Personally I think groups of up to six should have to pre-register and be linked together. That evens the playing field for everyone again.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, ProperTea said:

I agree that the SeeTickets backdoor is awful, but the idea of Ticketmaster or AXS taking over the sale utterly terrifies me.

Moving the sale to another ticket broker will still deliver the same results.  It will sell out, some will get tickets, many will not. 

2 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

I can't see how it could be worse

Thousands of tickets today clearly went via this quick access, while everyone else basically queued for nothing (and again this will be biased to large buying groups as they are more likely to find this out)

I think the system is terrible, successful or not, and every year say it should be a ballot.

Personally I think groups of up to six should have to pre-register and be linked together. That evens the playing field for everyone again.

I just worry that you can manipulate every other mainstream ticketing platform much more easily...

https://www.fiverr.com/gigs/ticketmaster-bot

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bolivia95 said:

I understand the IP address ‘hack’ require you to change the host IP in the laptops settings rather than enter a link.

It would be interested to know the link they used, could potentially help me you, I and other for resale

More precisely - the "hack" changes it so that when you go to the same link as everyone else, it ends up going to a different (not busy, not intended to be used for this) server than everyone else.

20 minutes ago, TheGoodWillOut said:

Exactly this, the link would've taken them to the IP in the "hack" basically it's an easy ride then as very few would've been on that server, instead we were battling with 2 million other devices on the correct links 

Not sure how a link would work here without the hosts entry. Without the host any link based on ip could only target the default site bound to port 443 I think. See tickets run this glastonbury sale as a sub domain site and it's not bound to the default website. 

Try the IP posted a few pages back in your browser and you land on the main see site, not the glasto subdomain. The hosts entry is needed to fake or override DNS basically and that can't be done via a shared link alone without malware or similar AFAIK anyway. 

1 minute ago, JayBoogie said:

Realistically the vast majority of tickets will have been sold legitimately, it's probably a drop in the ocean relative to the number of people who'll be going

Oh, for sure. That's why I don't expect See to acknowledge this or cancel any orders.

But given that it's now out there quite publicly, they really do need to ensure it can't be done next time out otherwise the numbers will be huge - potentially to the extent that it creates load issues on their other servers that are being used to ensure that their bread and butter websites don't get sucked into the Glastonbury mess.

15 minutes ago, JayBoogie said:

Realistically the vast majority of tickets will have been sold legitimately, it's probably a drop in the ocean relative to the number of people who'll be going

I think you're right and I guess the reality is, any ticketing platform will have backdoors - there's no fool proof system. With SeeTickets I think we have the least worst option.

5 hours ago, Jack Nottm said:

I think the one a few years ago was slightly different. If I recall correctly there were two severs (IPs?) and all traffic was being directed to one of them. Someone figured out if you hit the second one you got straight in because it was under-utilised. I think they fixed it about 2/3s the way through that sale.

Todays seems different. It’s as if there is something throttling getting onto a booking server. But if you can direct straight to it you get straight in.

Someone with better tech knowledge can probably explain both a lot better.

Last year was round robin DNS so this wouldn't have worked.

5 minutes ago, Sam Watson said:

Can someone explain this to me in Layman’s terms please. 

Normally buying a Glasto ticket means waiting for a buying slot on one of a handful of dedicated computers, aka servers, that See make available for this task, and to access them you go through the normal https://glastonbury.seetickets link.

These servers, as we know, are heavily overloaded with handling these ticket transactions, so most of us are held at a waiting screen for our opportunity to transact with them.

But it appears that See also have some other ticket servers, either held in reserve in case one of the main ones fails, or indeed kept back from the Glasto ticket sale to service any other ticketing tasks for other events, as they wouldn't want to degrade the performance for these events just because the Glasto sale is on at the same time.

However, these other servers *can* also sell Glasto tickets, if asked nicely, as they are connected to the same back-end See tickets system.

So there is a hack you can do to your own computer's files to make it approach one of these ticking-over servers *as if it were* a dedicated Glasto ticket server, and it appears that under these conditions these spare servers will in fact then process the ticket application successfully. They are far less overwhelmed with requests for tickets, since they are not officially available to Glasto ticket buyers, so they are far easier to get an open ticket-buying slot on.

So this 'hosts file' hack directs your request for a Glasto ticket (deposit) to one of these servers instead - and it works!

(Not that I used it fwiw)

• Upvote 1

2024 will be my tenth Glastonbury since 2008. I didn't try at all for tickets in 2010 so that makes it success 10 out of 13 times and I've never used anything dodgy, been part of a buying group such as the spreadsheets on here or had a large number of people trying. Two of the times I failed to get tickets were wjhen it was just me and my girlfriend trying. It really isn't that hard in my experience.

11 hours ago, Tr234 said:

Got to be a better method than have everyone waste an hour of their morning constantly refreshing.

Queue system would probably work better

Then people who aren't prepared  to waste an hour of their time would get one.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Ultimately no system is undefeatable or perfectly fair.

Keith Bontrager once said of bike wheels "strong, light, cheap - pick two".

You've got a system which needs to be stood up a couple of times a year to handle 80000 transactions in an hour and manage millions of unique attempts.

It's not great and clearly there's a massive flaw this time around but there's also no guarantee that there wouldn't have been issues with any other vendors either, all of whom are mired in their own controversies.

Overall, I'd take a charmingly sh*t medium sized enterprise over the usual live event monopolists getting more of a foothold in the festival.

• Upvote 2