2024 headline speculation

airwaves

4 hours ago, Rex2 said:

The Idles hate is hilarious. Half of you guys would have been creaming over them a couple of years ago in the big top but now they've had a couple of hits they're sh*t 😂

Probably a combination of things.

They haven't really put out anything as good as (or close to) Joy since then 

People also seem to have caught on that their whole politics shtick is nothing but show, getting called out by people like Bob Vylan etc., and they've spent a few years just generally making themselves seem like twats.

They were also just everywhere for a few years so people have likely already seen them several times over the last few years and are bored of them

Yeah I can understand the oversaturation thing but they're not exactly bad albums, just don't meet the high bar set by joy. Still a fantastic band live though.

What sort of thing RE being twats? I just assumed they didn't come out immediately virtue signalling on social media which lets be honest doesn't achieve anything

9 hours ago, Rex2 said:

The Idles hate is hilarious. Half of you guys would have been creaming over them a couple of years ago in the big top but now they've had a couple of hits they're sh*t 😂

I agree. It does seem like music snobbery. Comments like "great lineup, except for Idles ", makes people sound like spoilt brats - "how dare they sign up a band I don't like!"

If you don't like them, go do something else instead. No-one's forcing you to watch them. You can't possibly love every single act on the lineup!

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

I agree. It does seem like music snobbery. Comments like "great lineup, except for Idles ", makes people sound like spoilt brats - "how dare they sign up a band I don't like!"

If you don't like them, go do something else instead. No-one's forcing you to watch them. You can't possibly love every single act on the lineup!

Could not disagree more with you.

This is a music forum. Of course people are going to express views about what they like and what they don't like. And as it happens there is a lot more of the former and general good vibes but the latter is equally valid and it doesn't make you a snob to say you don't like something. We are paying £240 a ticket, it's not a charity and it doesn't make us spoilt to want a good lineup.

And all the talk of 'hate' is ridiculous. Some people just expressed mild disappointment at one of the headliners and FWIW I agree that it is a tired booking - they have toured relentlessly either side of the pandemic. They did almost a gig every two days (!) in 2018.

• Upvote 4

it's not "snobbery". no one has even indicated snobbery. lots of people just don't like them, think they make bland music and have a very dislikeable macho pseudopolitical shtick. 

it's also just an uninspired booking... they play everywhere, all the time. fine, and it will make lots of people happy which is nice, but is definitely a ticket-seller rather than an artistic booking. 

Edited by accordionandvoice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

Could not disagree more with you.

This is a music forum. Of course people are going to express views about what they like and what they don't like. And as it happens there is a lot more of the former and general good vibes but the latter is equally valid and it doesn't make you a snob to say you don't like something. We are paying £240 a ticket, it's not a charity and it doesn't make us spoilt to want a good lineup.

And all the talk of 'hate' is ridiculous. Some people just expressed mild disappointment at one of the headliners and FWIW I agree that it is a tired booking - they have toured relentlessly either side of the pandemic. They did almost a gig every two days (!) in 2018.

10000000% bang on. 

people getting very defensive because people have said they dislike one of the biggest acts on the bill is very VERY funny and a bit sad

Yep, I am not fan of Idles, they do nothing for me. But I can guarantee that they will pull a massive crowd, and fair play to all those who do go and see them and have a great time.

I'm not sure I agree with the "£240 for a good lineup" statement. A "good lineup" is subjective. For many people, Idles being on the bill does constitute a "good lineup". Who are we to say that their inclusion makes it bad?

5 minutes ago, shoebox said:

I'm not sure I agree with the "£240 for a good lineup" statement. A "good lineup" is subjective. For many people, Idles being on the bill does constitute a "good lineup". Who are we to say that their inclusion makes it bad?

What you are saying is not incompatible with what I am saying.

It is obviously implied when people saying they are disappointed in XYZ headliner that it is just their opinion - no one is stating it as a matter of fact.

In the same way if someone says they are looking forward to seeing Indonesian Gamelan experimental band it doesn't mean they don't tacitly acknowledge that they won't be to everyone's taste.

Edited by xxialac

14 minutes ago, accordionandvoice said:

it's also just an uninspired booking... they play everywhere, all the time. fine, and it will make lots of people happy which is nice, but is definitely a ticket-seller rather than an artistic booking. 

Is it purely that, though? As mentioned a few pages back Simon started following Joe's account on his personal Instagram, so clearly they're someone he likes and wanted to play in the same way as his tastes have clearly shifted in recent years as seen by the experimental stuff and the launch of the Boat stage. I don't think Idles would have been offered to EOTR if they can headline a festival twice the size like Truck. It's End Of The Road, if YLT/Sleater-Kinney/Lankum had been there instead it would likely still have been a sellout. It sold out in the time it usually takes to sell out last year with Unknown Mortal Orchestra and Greentea Peng as the top two on a day of the main stage.

Idles are just dreary. Uninspired. Of course i can understand Simon booking them, but doesn't mean I have to like it. And sure, loads of people will be there, but what does that prove? Perfectly reasonable to come on a music forum, designed to you know, let you express an opinion about music, and express some disappointment.

• Upvote 1

Ffs, it's just one act out of over 100 acts announced! 

There's a few acts announced that I have zero interest in seeing - same as every single year. I don't come on here to "express disappointment " just 'cos I don't like them! It's pathetic.

Curate your own festival if you want to love every single act on the bill.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Ffs, it's just one act out of over 100 acts announced! 

There's a few acts announced that I have zero interest in seeing - same as every single year. I don't come on here to "express disappointment " just 'cos I don't like them! It's pathetic.

Curate your own festival if you want to love every single act on the bill.

Note to anyone on here. Punksnotdead has made it clear that any debate will not be tolerated, we should be grateful for whatever bands we are given including the headliners and we must all fall in line with his views.

Edited by xxialac
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Note to anyone on here. Punksnotdead has made it clear that any debate will not be tolerated, we should be grateful for whatever bands we are given including the headliners and we must all fall in line with his views.

I have no issue with people saying they don't like an act. What I do have an issue with is people saying "they shouldn't have been booked ", which a few people have. 

7 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Note to anyone on here. Punkisnotdead has made it clear that any debate will not be tolerated, we should be grateful for whatever bands we are given including the headliners and we must all fall in line with his views.

Mate, don't make it personal. They are well within their rights to express frustration that a band that, I assume, is one of their faves is getting a bit of a pile-on.

1 minute ago, shoebox said:

Mate, don't make it personal. They are well within their rights to express frustration that a band that, I assume, is one of their faves is getting a bit of a pile-on.

Pile on seems a bit strong. Most of the additional comments initially were at the mild end.

And more importantly I can only judge by what was written and the message was clear.

If you express any kind of negative view about the lineup, no matter if balanced by positive comments elsewhere, you are an entitled twat and you should be grateful for whatever you are given (cough, for your £240).

Away from the arguing, got to say hats off to Simon once again. Two of the four headliners being festival exclusives (at least in the UK) is pretty special.

Looking forward to dissecting that Supersonic line-up later this month!

EDIT: fever ray are playing a stand alone show as part of the simple things festival programme

Edited by iamdiceman

Is it time to start speculating on who might be in the next wave of announcements?

My wishlist includes:

Sheer Mag
Yard Act
Helado Negro
Chromeo
Gossip
Sacred Paws
Girl Ray
Marika Hackmann

This is going off upcoming releases and I haven't done any tour schedule research 🙂

35 minutes ago, shoebox said:

Actually, although I may have come across as the ultimate Idles fanboy - I've only ever seen them at EOTR & wouldn't pay to see them on their own tour. I just got annoyed with people saying "what a great lineup, but why the f**k are Idles there."

• Like 1