Sziget Festival 2024

#1SzigetFan

Look, Fred Again and Four Tet are really good bookings, but Martin Garrix again? Stromzy again? Aurora again? Louis tomilson and sam smith is such tasteless bookings, and ik it subjective but still. Stormzy is not more relevant now than he was back in 2018, and now he is pushed as a headliner, i really dont get it. The problem with the sziget lineup the last years is that it misses "soul", its so tasteless. Focus on diversity in music not by being woke. Sziget used to be so unique, with all these special parties, good acts within every genre and lots of decoration and things happening at the festival. Now the lineup and festival is bland and soulless compared to what it used to be. With political speeches replacing special parties, and a woke management. Dont get me wrong it's a good thing, but it is not sziget job, and people are there to have a great time. Not to listen about war and climate change and tasteless acts. You can really see a huge difference in some financial desitions after covid. Ik it hasn't been easy for sziget but it is time to start listening to the people.  #makeszigetgreatagain

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Festival_camper said:

Look, Fred Again and Four Tet are really good bookings, but Martin Garrix again? Stromzy again? Aurora again? Louis tomilson and sam smith is such tasteless bookings, and ik it subjective but still. Stormzy is not more relevant now than he was back in 2018, and now he is pushed as a headliner, i really dont get it. The problem with the sziget lineup the last years is that it misses "soul", its so tasteless. Focus on diversity in music not by being woke. Sziget used to be so unique, with all these special parties, good acts within every genre and lots of decoration and things happening at the festival. Now the lineup and festival is bland and soulless compared to what it used to be. With political speeches replacing special parties, and a woke management. Dont get me wrong it's a good thing, but it is not sziget job, and people are there to have a great time. Not to listen about war and climate change and tasteless acts. You can really see a huge difference in some financial desitions after covid. Ik it hasn't been easy for sziget but it is time to start listening to the people.  #makeszigetgreatagain

look beyond Mainstage, its nothing tasteless.

no offense, i get you, i also dont like these acts, but i honestly stopped hoping to get really good big names. and hopefully the decorations will comeback with a better financial situation next year.

Tbh, this seems to be the worst lineup of “big” EU festivals this summer. It’s not as bad as i expected, but it’s still very underwhelming. Especially looking at other festivals and the acts they managed to book.

Of course, some of the undercard acts are nice, but they could’be done a lot better than this.

Just now, poelim said:

Tbh, this seems to be the worst lineup of “big” EU festivals this summer. It’s not as bad as i expected, but it’s still very underwhelming. Especially looking at other festivals and the acts they managed to book.

Of course, some of the undercard acts are nice, but they could’be done a lot better than this.

Exactly 

4 minutes ago, ketomika22 said:

look beyond Mainstage, its nothing tasteless.

no offense, i get you, i also dont like these acts, but i honestly stopped hoping to get really good big names. and hopefully the decorations will comeback with a better financial situation next year.

Yeah but mainstage is really important. Even the undercards and the acts on the other stages is nothing special compared to other major festivals. Let's not forget sziget is one of the biggest music festivals in Europe, if they want to stay like that and not lose numbers they need to up the game, that's all i am saying 

12 minutes ago, lukatej said:

Leaks said yesterday, that for rock headliner for second announcement they are in negotiations with either QoTSA or The Strokes.

Voting for The Strokes definitely!

But QOTSA are unavailable so I don’t know what they are negotiating 😅 the only possibility for them is subbing Fred but I don’t think that will be the case.

Edited by Newjem

10 minutes ago, dude111 said:

364766db-324d-4f4e-8284-1eb90d8f2a21.png

Ok, it's clear to me what kind of crowd they want to attract.
I sincerely don't understand why they still put bands like Fontaines DC, Yard Act or Big Thief in a program they have nothing to do with. Which indie rock fan would spend 300€ to go to this?

• Upvote 1

My positives:

• Got 2 names I actually listen to quite often (Grandson, Fontaines DC), and looking forward to dig deeper in the discography of Nova Twins. Couldn't see Fontaines DC the last time because of a naughty Sziget-kebab, so I'm well happy with them for now.
  • Plenty of potential in the rest of the line up as I've never even heard of the names of 90%, so it's discover-time for me. And I'm going for the vibes anyway, plus this first round price was quite cheap so I'm fine if I'm only seeing Hungarian/unknown foreign acts.

My negatives:

• Not sure who on Earth is going to buy tickets to see Stormzy in Budapest but ok. Not sure about Fred Again, but he's probably big and I'm just old or something. Never even heard of him before he was confirmed here.
  • 2 DJs headlining, I think that hasn't happened since 2017
  • Last year I've had 1-2 more names who I was really looking forward to.

And the question:

• We didn't get Idles, Two Door Cinema Club, Kooks, etc - are most of these names still ruled out, or are we starting with a clean sheet for the second round?
Edited by kristofm
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, activean said:

It is a 21&under lineup. End of story. 

Headliner wise it is weaker also, not a single name as huge as Billie or Imagine Dragons. Fred and Garrix will go down well but Stormzy as headliner outside UK? Remember Arlo Parks last year, it was empty. 

I don' think this is 21 under line-up at all 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, kristofm said:

My negatives:

• Not sure who on Earth is going to buy tickets to see Stormzy in Budapest but ok. Not sure about Fred Again, but he's probably big and I'm just old or something. Never even heard of him before he was confirmed here.

Check his set from Glastonbury 2023. I'm not a fan of usb music, but Fred Again is cool

Even looking back at 2022-2023 lineups, this is... I just don't know.

Headliner-wise it's probably a worst Sziget in a long time (at least for now). Martin Garrix is the only one which seems suitable - traditional EDM-headliner, and not the worst one. Stormzy is not a headliner material for such a huge festival outside of UK. Fred probably is a hot cake right now, but having two DJ headliners when festival only lasts for six days? No comments on Sam Smith, just don't want to discuss it.

Like them or not, but Imagine Dragons and Billie Eilish are huge artists, which should headline such festival. In 2022 they had two huge pop stars, one huge guitar-driven band and two just big enough. And just three editions before Twenty One Pilots played before Foo Fighters on the last festival day. Time...

Edited by Mondo-kun
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I'm looking at some of the comments and the artist most people are excited about is Fred Again.

Interesting.

@SweetJesus yeah based on that Glasto performance he doesn't look that bad. Thanks!
Though I'm pretty sure I'll have something better to do in that slot - it's Sziget, after all.

Edited by kristofm

The announcement seems to be as worse as the first wave of the 2017 lineup announcement. Back then Sziget came with these names: Bad Religion, Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike, DJ Shadow, GTA, GusGus, Kensington, Mac DeMarco, Major Lazer, Oh Wonder, Oliver Heldens, Tom Odell, Two Door Cinema Club, Vince Staples, W&W

Both were anniversary Sziget editions 😁

Edited by #1SzigetFan

I don’t think this announcement is that bad. Because you have 4 real headliners. Most of us don’t go to sziget for the headliners anyway. Besides that, this is only 10% of the line up, maybe even less. 

Leaks already confirmed they are talking to a rock headliner and another which they didnt agree with before this announcement, but probably will be the biggest of all. Since they planned to announce it this time why this announcement was delayed. Most undercard names will be announced next time. After that there will be the party arena announcement and after that the colloseum. 

but most off all. Line up helps but sziget is way more than just the line up. If you only go for the line up, please stay home.  The vibe doesn’t need you 😉 

• Downvote 1