Volunteering 2024

Chazwozza

1 hour ago, deadponyclub said:

for those still trying to get an Oxfam volunteering spot I am seeing availability come and go for 2000 Trees and Isle of Wight, fingers crossed some spaces for Glasto appear soon! Keep the faith 🙏

They may do what they did last year with the Glastonbury places, and hold them back for a second launch / batch - I think they probably do this so that they get a bit of social media hype which helps them fill some of the others.

26 minutes ago, jfaragher said:

They may do what they did last year with the Glastonbury places, and hold them back for a second launch / batch - I think they probably do this so that they get a bit of social media hype which helps them fill some of the others.

There's not much left this year!

image.png.f123da4677549accd6adfd1f5609fab1.png

Edited by stuie

I work on a psych ward, i have more than enough contact with drug-induced psychosis to even consider spending my time off looking after people with it - that's why i don't volunteer for FMS and i wouldnt steward Boomtown to be honest. 

37 minutes ago, deadponyclub said:

Spots for IOW and Lattitude now showing….

I've been keeping an eye and seen these come up sporadically throughout the day too. Genuinely concerned that I'd be too absolutely panicked if I saw a Glastonbury spot to actually successfully get it ha

6 hours ago, dondo said:

In previous years I've set a WhatsApp group up to make it easier to let folk know where we are. But you make a good point and whilst maybe not a flag a sign of sort is a good idea. 

I think you should wear a neon pink gimp suit instead 😉

2 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Done boomtown before, tempted to go back but I know they'd put me as a supervisor and the risk of getting something like Area 404 on a Saturday night fills me with a little bit of dread 🤣

... Try working in the Oxbox during that time 😂

Loved Boomtown and would be back but the time of year doesn't fit anymore unfortunately. It's great that most stewards are in the thick of it, surely what you want at a festival instead of freezing your nuts off in the middle of nowhere? 

After falling off the priority list at Oxfam, luckily I managed to get a spot at Glastonbury. No idea how as I was trying 'under strenuous circumstances'. 

Stripe then asked for a an SMS code to verify my number, turned out my number wasn't the one registered to the email. Didn't even know I had a stripe account. Managed to get through to the manual entry page and tried google pay which failed a couple of times. Eventually I entered the card details manually and after about 5 errors it went through.

My wife, who was trying elsewhere failed. She's now admitting she might not up for working festival so might be me solo. We've decided that I'll go either way... It's been 5 years!!

35 minutes ago, tarw said:

I think you should wear a neon pink gimp suit instead 😉

Would be really easy to spot the efests group then. Not just because of the suit but I'll have cleared the bar by wearing it 😀

1 minute ago, dondo said:

Would be really easy to spot the efests group then. Not just because of the suit but I'll have cleared the bar by wearing it 😀

I think that you could possibly pull off being menacing in a gimp suit!

1 hour ago, sashabella said:

Hi,

I’ve signed up for stewarding at IoW. First time. Does anyone know if there are any threads etc?

Join the Oxfam chat on Facebook and there’ll be WhatsApp groups for each festival nearer the time which will be great for questions and getting to know people. x

3 hours ago, thewomble said:

I've been keeping an eye and seen these come up sporadically throughout the day too. Genuinely concerned that I'd be too absolutely panicked if I saw a Glastonbury spot to actually successfully get it ha

Yeah, I've been glued to it for most of the last two days and seen the same. Think I've seen every one but Glastonbury and BD pop up at some point. I'm sure there have been some cancellations due to friends/partners not getting places so as previously mentioned it smacks to me of holding them back for an advertised Oxfam resale in the near future

Patience is key. Whether it’s now, next month or even June itself, if you want a place at Glasto with Oxfam you will definitely get one at some point.

Page monitors can help.  Browser based ones are best so that you stay logged in by it auto refreshing… distill done the job nicely if I remember correctly. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, hurdy said:

Yeah, I've been glued to it for most of the last two days and seen the same. Think I've seen every one but Glastonbury and BD pop up at some point. I'm sure there have been some cancellations due to friends/partners not getting places so as previously mentioned it smacks to me of holding them back for an advertised Oxfam resale in the near future

They've done this for the last few years. I wouldn't expect any Oxfam places until after the April resale.

6 minutes ago, stuie said:

Patience is key. Whether it’s now, next month or even June itself, if you want a place at Glasto with Oxfam you will definitely get one at some point.

Page monitors can help.  Browser based ones are best so that you stay logged in by it auto refreshing… distill done the job nicely if I remember correctly. 

We definitely didn't get everyone in who wanted Oxfam last year. Saving the places for a resale has made it much harder for those sort of spots.

9 minutes ago, stuie said:

A good number of those that want to will get in, but nowadays it won’t be everyone. It does get harder every year.

16 minutes ago, amfy said:

A good number of those that want to will get in, but nowadays it won’t be everyone. It does get harder every year.

18 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

They've done this for the last few years. I wouldn't expect any Oxfam places until after the April resale.

We definitely didn't get everyone in who wanted Oxfam last year. Saving the places for a resale has made it much harder for those sort of spots.

Ah fair enough. I got a place in April 22 when I didn’t have priority and missed out and I know 3 that did at various times last year. 

I’m just trying to say don’t give up hope but maybe I’m being too positive 😂

I'd agree with the theory that now the dust has settled, they're likely to hold any Glastonbury places back until April or early May. Then any places that come up beyond that get released piecemeal.

Though I'd still be camping out on the site if I needed a spot.

45 minutes ago, stuie said:

Does Distill work on the Oxfam page with the list of festivals being in a drop down box? I can remember having it set up a few years back but can't remember if it was for Oxfam or for normal campervans

I don’t think you’re being TOO positive @stuie because I think a lot will be successful, but I remember the first time I couldn’t get an actual ticket, nothing made me madder than people saying ‘ if you want one enough’ or ‘if you try hard enough’ or ‘if you prepare well enough’ you will get one.

I could not have wanted, tried or prepared any harder and still got nowhere near! I just have a feeling Oxfam volunteer places are sneaking in that same direction that’s all and I wouldn’t want anyone who didn’t get one to think that we think they didn’t really deserve it. 

Edited by amfy
To make it clear who I was responding to

32 minutes ago, amfy said:

I don’t think you’re being TOO positive @stuie because I think a lot will be successful, but I remember the first time I couldn’t get an actual ticket, nothing made me madder than people saying ‘ if you want one enough’ or ‘if you try hard enough’ or ‘if you prepare well enough’ you will get one.

I could not have wanted, tried or prepared any harder and still got nowhere near! I just have a feeling Oxfam volunteer places are sneaking in that same direction that’s all and I wouldn’t want anyone who didn’t get one to think that we think they didn’t really deserve it. 

Oh yes, for tickets that’s defo the case now. Although for several years I had the rep amongst my group for ticket day success, got them years in a row when no one else did but I went to my office on Sunday morning and used the good internet and lots of devices… even that doesn’t make any difference anymore!

Maybe Oxfam is going the same way but the other thing is so many people have now made the effort to keep and maintain priority status so that makes it so much harder for new people. 

Stay positive people… it’s a long way from over! 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, hurdy said:

Does Distill work on the Oxfam page with the list of festivals being in a drop down box? I can remember having it set up a few years back but can't remember if it was for Oxfam or for normal campervans

Yes there is a way but I can’t remember the details.

That said, spaces usually come up during the Oxfam office hours so if you’re desk based and work similar hours to that, you can just check for any changes on the page and then have a look what’s changed when it alerts you. You’ll already be logged in ready to go too.