Glastonbury & sci-fi. Sci-fi & Glastonbury.

Yoghurt on a Stick

Has anyone ever seen sci-fi represented at the festival - apart from maybe the Cinema Tent? 

I guess it's not such a 'performing' thing, but was just wondering, given that it's such a huge genre, and comes under the umbrella of 'the arts'.

One more thing - does anybody on here know anything about publishing written sci--fi?  

6 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Has anyone ever seen sci-fi represented at the festival - apart from maybe the Cinema Tent?

An old mate of mine, now sadly deceased, once had a Doctor Who themed venue. As far as I remember all he did was play episodes all weekend.

Shangri-la with its dystopian themes has often had that element of sci-fi, especially in its earlier years 2009-2011 with the alleys and micro venues that felt straight out of Bladerunner. Anyone remember The Body Shop, where you could get a drink and watch people role-playing the buying and selling of body parts? It was ace. 

Orbital played their version of the Doctor Who theme at Glasto a few times - I think it's time Doctor Who filmed one of their episodes at Glastonbury. Two great British cultural icons together!

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, BookAngel said:

Shangri-la with its dystopian themes has often had that element of sci-fi, especially in its earlier years 2009-2011 with the alleys and micro venues that felt straight out of Bladerunner. Anyone remember The Body Shop, where you could get a drink and watch people role-playing the buying and selling of body parts? It was ace. 

Orbital played their version of the Doctor Who theme at Glasto a few times - I think it's time Doctor Who filmed one of their episodes at Glastonbury. Two great British cultural icons together!

Fab response. Thank you. It's been donkey's years since I attended, so haven't seen The Body Shop. I'd really like to have seen that 'performance'.

4 hours ago, Skip997 said:

An old mate of mine, now sadly deceased, once had a Doctor Who themed venue. As far as I remember all he did was play episodes all weekend.

I'm a little all jumbled up, in my rep[lies, and have also ran out of upvotes. Thank you for that information. Your mate sounds like one of my mates, who is heavily into sci-fi. My condolences. I know what it's like to lose a mate. It cuts deep. 

4 hours ago, blutarsky said:

Have you heard of Arcadia, Yog? 

Yes, i have. i think that I went there -once. I understand where you are coming from, but it was more like actual physical enactment of sci-fi with an easily identifiable story behind it. I know that the place already does that on certain levels though. 

43 minutes ago, Scrump said:

https://www.boxofficepro.com/sol-cinema-worlds-smallest-solar-powered-cinema/

These guys were screening a 5 minute relaxation guide... By daleks. It was hilarious!

Interesting. Very. 

I'd love to see a copy of that - if anyone's got a copy? I say that because I think that such  thing would amuse a friend of mine. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I've had a little bit of good news today. I submitted a sample of written sci-fi (not a genre I know too much about) to a publisher. They then asked me for the first three chapters, so I submitted three chapters to them*. Now they want to see the whole book. And here's the rub - there is no book! I haven't written one - yet! So, I'm either going to have to fess up, or get writing like a man possessed. I think the former is the best option though. It'll most likely go nowhere, but it's nice to dream. 

* - I submitted three chapters of my stoned up written fiction. They, as of this moment, do not form a book. I haven't even got a story thread in my head. Yikes!

PS - I hope that they don't read efestivals.

PPS - If you never had it, you can't lose it, so it doesn't really matter. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2