SE Corner - time for a refresh?

O'Doyle Rules

1 hour ago, Soulofatruck said:

My first glasto we ended up in a Lionel Ritchie karaoke room in the SE corner, everyone in Lionel masks just singing Lionel tunes. Was incredibly surreal and we spent ages in there. Also miss the Sunday night paint party in the Temple!

I think there's definitely room for improvements for the late night stuff, more of the quirky and weird. Music wise, I'm not a fan of "beats" and think it could be more varied, wether that be the SE corner or elsewhere on site. 

Maybe I’m just too f**ked, but I don’t really see those crazy interactive experiences. Maybe it simply is too busy and would require security on every door to every little room.

11 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Interesting that the TBD guys also picked up on the lack of bands or DJs playing bands late at night too.

Tbf in every video they just end up in a silent disco or bar singing along to Mr Brightside and Bohemian Rhapsody.

Its weird to me that thats what people want to do at festivals when they could do the same thing any weekend of the year in pubs and bars all over the country but hey ho whatever floats your boat.

Edited by Harry3

1 minute ago, Harry3 said:

Tbf in every video they just end up in a silent disco or bar singing along to classics

Its weird to me that thats what people want to do at festivals when they could do the same thing any weekend of the year in pubs and bars all over the country but hey ho whatever floats your boat.

For me it's a bit of a mix.  I spend all day seeking out new stuff and trying to see things I've never seen or wouldn't normally see, so it's nice to be able to balance that with the familiar as well.  The more familiar things are the bigger the potential community at that point as well, think of the big sense of togetherness at something like Baggy Mondays.

Sometimes when you've spent your afternoon earnestly listening to a blend of drama school performance art and shonky accordion playing, you just want to get pissed and belt out Livin' On A Prayer

It just came across as the TBD guys not really liking or having a clue about dance music.

Which is fine, I guess, but a bit of an issue if your whole thing is that you're video blogging festivals and you don't know how to engage with (at least) 50% of the culture

Edited by Isaact

12 minutes ago, Isaact said:

It just came across as the TBD guys not really liking or having a clue about dance music.

Which is fine, I guess, but a bit of an issue if your whole thing is that you're video blogging festivals and you don't know how to engage with (at least) 50% of the culture

Its not just dance music though, it seems like they dont listen to any music outside mainstream rock.

18 minutes ago, Isaact said:

2 minutes ago, Harry3 said:

Its not just dance music though, it seems like they dont listen to any music outside mainstream rock.

Who or what are TBD guys?

24 minutes ago, Isaact said:

Yeah the video really showed that although they've been to loads of events, they're predominantly just music gig type festivals, and any performing arts / or even music that's different to what they're used to they're not really interested in. Each to their own, but I saw a comment suggesting they do burning man next. That would clearly be a huge waste of money and effort for them! 

2 minutes ago, tomf3 said:

Yeah the video really showed that although they've been to loads of events, they're predominantly just music gig type festivals, and any performing arts / or even music that's different to what they're used to they're not really interested in. Each to their own, but I saw a comment suggesting they do burning man next. That would clearly be a huge waste of money and effort for them! 

My nan would have a more interesting time at Burning Man than they would, based off their Glastonbury video.

I think they should stick to Download.

40 minutes ago, Quark said:

For me it's a bit of a mix.  I spend all day seeking out new stuff and trying to see things I've never seen or wouldn't normally see, so it's nice to be able to balance that with the familiar as well.  The more familiar things are the bigger the potential community at that point as well, think of the big sense of togetherness at something like Baggy Mondays.

Sometimes when you've spent your afternoon earnestly listening to a blend of drama school performance art and shonky accordion playing, you just want to get pissed and belt out Livin' On A Prayer

That's funny, it's somewhat the opposite for me at Glasto. In the day a I'm predominantly seeking out the acts that I've been listening to a lot over the past year. Normally I've never seen them live before, though.

In the night I go exploring and see what I can find.

2 minutes ago, Isaact said:

My nan would have a more interesting time at Burning Man than they would, based off their Glastonbury video.

I think they should stick to Download.

Despite their music tastes, they clearly "got" Glastonbury, and loved the atmosphere.

Those fellas make some decent vids, actually - they're a bit annoying for the first ten minutes and then i seem to get used to them and its a good watch from thereon in. Agreed though, they just want meat n potatoes rock bands, and dont seem too interested in expanding their horizons even just a little bit. Theyve plenty of opportunity to do exactly that, and still its arctic bloody monkeys lyrics shouted at each other. 

And man would he ever learn to pronounce disaronno even slightly correctly 😄 Enough with the Vic Reeves Eranu!

Edited by balti-pie

6 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

That's funny, it's somewhat the opposite for me at Glasto. In the day a I'm predominantly seeking out the acts that I've been listening to a lot over the past year. Normally I've never seen them live before, though.

In the night I go exploring and see what I can find.

I meant to say that as well but clearly got lost! It's a mix of bands I've been listening to and new stuff, but in general I like ot try and see a band I've not seen live before if they're available.  But even stuff you've been listening to in the run up will never be as familiar as the song you've heard on the radio a thousand times!

15 hours ago, incident said:

No, LV was basically the exact same from 2002 to 2007 inclusive.

It benefits massively from nostalgia here, if LV did somehow come back people would be like "really? that's it?". For all the complaints that the SE corner is stale, there's still more changes every year than LV had across 5 years.

My first fest was 07 and I was very much whelmed by LV. Shangri La the following year was like that concept taken to another dimension. Blew our minds!

16 hours ago, incident said:

No, LV was basically the exact same from 2002 to 2007 inclusive.

It benefits massively from nostalgia here, if LV did somehow come back people would be like "really? that's it?". For all the complaints that the SE corner is stale, there's still more changes every year than LV had across 5 years.

Yeah some of the highlights were a small tent with some mattresses and a shite piano and some old dear talking dirty to punters walking by. 

Theres were a couple of decent tents with music playing though.

To be fair by 07 a lot of it was closed wasn't it? Seems to remember it being the dying embers of LV.

07 was a huge year in the festivals history actually. LV gone and the sound issues meant Glasto HQ changed sound engineers and hardware

1 hour ago, tomf3 said:

They’re annoying but watchable. Some of them went to every gig on the 1975’s last tour and genuinely are their favourite band. Which I instantly just find irritating.

they went to Boomtown last year and basically just described every dance genre as EDM which was incredibly annoying but wondered if it was a piss take. I don’t know. I don’t think I’d want to hang around with them (they don’t seem in any way interested in anything other than alcohol to boost their mood which doesn’t help account for a more rounded demographic of a festival vibe - not sure they’d get away with it on YouTube tbf) but they don’t tend to slag festivals off and do focus on the positives on the main. They should really do more of going off on their own at points and exploring different parts - especially Glastonbury. 

52 minutes ago, mikeyb123 said:

They’re annoying but watchable. Some of them went to every gig on the 1975’s last tour and genuinely are their favourite band. Which I instantly just find irritating.

they went to Boomtown last year and basically just described every dance genre as EDM which was incredibly annoying but wondered if it was a piss take. I don’t know. I don’t think I’d want to hang around with them (they don’t seem in any way interested in anything other than alcohol to boost their mood which doesn’t help account for a more rounded demographic of a festival vibe - not sure they’d get away with it on YouTube tbf) but they don’t tend to slag festivals off and do focus on the positives on the main. They should really do more of going off on their own at points and exploring different parts - especially Glastonbury. 

Yeah it was the boomtown one that got me to start watching their stuff. I do actually enjoy their videos greatly and think they seem decent enough- plus their videos capture the feel a lot better than most. However they did say in the glasto vid comments that Rock for People is the best festival in the world, and from what I can see that's pure heavy metal with just one stage and zero decor, so clearly coming at it from a very different perspective!

I thought Silver Hayes was great this year - fantastic to explore new stuff.

Maybe I'm just getting older and have done too many Glastonbury's but the overall feeling I had walking through Shangri La and Block 9 this year was...

Groundbreaking GIF | GIFER

It'd be great to mix things up. But I feel like Glastonbury's more experimental days are over and it's got too big to mess with now? Certainly with people bunking in its felt like '22 and '23 are the busiest I've ever seen it. When you've got to factor in crowd control measures, the politics of dealing with multiple crews, and shrinking budgets, it must be hard for them to be innovative. I guess they're not in a place anymore where they can just try new stuff on such a scale and see what works and what doesn't.

21 hours ago, bob323 said:

I say move some or loads of SE corner over to the dance village area (because it's pretty much over 80% a dance area) I understand there would have to be a drop in volume (not a bad thing tbh)

The issue isn't volume - its the fact it ends at 3am. Puts people off going there entirely to an extent as they know eventually they will have to do the half an hour 3am slog to SEC

Just now, gfa said:

The issue isn't volume - its the fact it ends at 3am. Puts people off going there entirely to an extent as they know eventually they will have to do the half an hour 3am slog to SEC

Agree

But "half an hour"?

I reckon it's no more than a 15 minute happy dance, on a bad day.

26 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Agree

But "half an hour"?

I reckon it's no more than a 15 minute happy dance, on a bad day.

On the Saturday night we were in the Glade until that finished at 3am then decided to go SEC.  By the time we got to the entrance they had closed it off to manage the crowds.

At that point I decided to call it a night and went back to my tent.

My mates who stayed out did exactly what I thought would happen.  Walked around the SEC aimlessly because it was too busy to get in anywhere and then went back to their tents.

I think the busy-ness is in part attributable to people like me who think they're up for partying later, but on reflection find that bed is a better option!

Last two Glastos I've not been up for sun rise, when before it was regular occurrence.

Just now, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

My mates who stayed out did exactly what I thought would happen.  Walked around the SEC aimlessly because it was too busy to get in anywhere and then went back to their tents.

Saturday night, the Mez bar had plenty of room and was absolutely banging as was Genoysis (sp).

My advice, stay out of Shangri-La, unless there's a "must see" act.