SE Corner - time for a refresh?

O'Doyle Rules

I didn’t even make it to Shangri-la this year. Would’ve gone to the Sports Banger Mega rave on Thursday, but was offsite all day. We did NYC Downlow Friday, Arcadia Sat, then Lonely Hearts Sunday. Still managed a little trip up Stone Circle before bed each morning. Was nice to mix it up and spend each post 11pm eves/morning in a different area. 
 Like other posts have stated think the dystopian vibe is wearing a little thin. A refresh much needed imo.   

I hated Icon at first but the acts on this year were much better and gives a welcome bit of space to have a bit of a rave as long as you need. 

Unfortunately the lack of space in Shangri la ruins the experience, need a drink or the toilet there goes 20 mins of your festival trying to get through the bottleneck. 

Agree that the Dystopian theme feels a bit dated. 

Compared to previous years, it was a bit dull and vanilla. You just walked through the area now rather than disappearing down some labyrinthine alleyways and discovering hidden bars and performers. Shangri La was always a place to interact with performers and small bars,  like multiple versions of the Rabbit Hole's funkingham palace.

The Truth stage is thought is one of the best stages at the festival for me along with The Park. Saw Panic Shack and Craig Charles there and the set up was brilliant. The layout to get to the stages is the issue. There was always plenty of room near the front but people would congregate at the back, blocking the way in. Once you got passed the crowds at the pack, there was acres of space.

I think Shangri La particularly needs looking at and a refresh. I like the new IICON stage itself but can't stand the music that was playing on it every time I walked past - there is a dire need for a rock/alt/differentfromEDM stage within the night areas to give those of us that aren't into that type of music something to do.

There needs to be some thought given to the Truth stage in particular in Shangri La, others have rightly said the bottleneck can be dangerous - I went to Skindred and my partner and her dad were walking past on a 'Bimblethon' at the time, tried to get past and got pushed back towards the entrance to Shangri La and the Now/Here stage and ended up going out that way.

Saw some great bands late at night at the Bandstand, Rocket Lounge, Sensation Seekers and Truth. And apart from Truth, the crowds were fairly small at the other stages.

I love a rave but I saw more bands late at night than I did DJs

Just now, Harry3 said:

Saw some great bands late at night at the Bandstand, Rocket Lounge, Sensation Seekers and Truth. And apart from Truth, the crowds were fairly small at the other stages.

I love a rave but I saw more bands late at night than I did DJs

This post probably needs to be pinned for all the "there's nothing but DnB late at night" posse

4 hours ago, Gashead86 said:

My main issue with the SE corner in general is that it feels like unless you are off your tits it isn't really for you. Almost as if you aren't really welcome unless you are gurning your jaw off. 

When I first went in 2013 it felt much more like an extension of the festival as a whole. There were actors on plinths interacting with the crowds, there were alleyways that took you into odd little mini clubs almost. The whole thing just felt more interactive and inclusive. 
Almost feels now like it is just a huge creche for anyone who has had a pill or 3 to mong in after the music. If that sort of thing is not really your cup of tea (it is not mine) then you feel pretty alienated. I am sure it never used to be like that. 

Also, I know they are not everyone's cup of tea.. But why on earth did they get rid of the silent disco that used to be in the Silver Hayes tent?? That was always packed, so cannot imagine it was a case of it losing popularity.. I felt that was a nice alternative to the constant house music of SE corner. 

It's always been like that there though. 70% if the people in SE Corner are likely on something. 

Just now, northernangel said:

It's always been like that there though. 70% if the people in SE Corner are likely on something. 

I'd put it at 99.9% of people

There aren't a huge number of tea total folks about, and especially in the SE corner after midnight

#alcoholisadrug

can anyone correct me? when it was Lost Vagueness (I used to love the sign on the railway track) did they change the theme each year? - sometimes subtle, sometimes major, I rememeber a star wars theme and that was flippin ace

I generally avoid the SE area, I went a few times (very briefly) same old stale stuff

I say move some or loads of SE corner over to the dance village area (because it's pretty much over 80% a dance area) I understand there would have to be a drop in volume (not a bad thing tbh)

and create one or two new sureal themed areas with a different backdrop of music - pick your choice: Jazz, rock, hip hop, indie/ alt, classical etc..

Edited by bob323

I think because a lot of people just "go shangri la" after the headliners regardless of who's on, there's a massive amount of people that want to get into that section every evening. Skindred was RAMMED, and I guarantee not 50% of the crowd knew who they were.

Block 9 & The Common areas aren't too bad it's really Shangri-La/Unfairground where the crowds are the worst.

My solution is they need to not have large acts on there and essentially just use it as an art exhibit with some relatively unknown but decent DJs playing.

Maybe Acoustic/T&C field could have another tent with bands to spread out the crowd.

Love the metal representation at Glastonbury but needs to move outside of Shangri-La. Maybe a tent by CarHenge area.

1 minute ago, deadpheasant said:

I think because a lot of people just "go shangri la" after the headliners regardless of who's on, there's a massive amount of people that want to get into that section every evening. .

Shangri-La "tourism" is probably an non-reversible trend.

Far too much hype, too many going there to see the (non-existent) "Naughty corner", which may have been true once upon a time.

7 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Shangri-La "tourism" is probably an non-reversible trend.

Far too much hype, too many going there to see the (non-existent) "Naughty corner", which may have been true once upon a time.

disagree .... we've had grumbles on here for many years ref silver hayes and that area has stepped up its game for the last 2 years and now the grumbles have moved to SEC so id imagine the festival listens and this area along with Arcadia Spider also starts to evolve . 

SE is resting on its creative laurels a bit now. However considering the staff bleed likely precipitated by C19 it did a good job this year. Its guarenteed popularity means innovation on a broader or conceptual scale is perhaps unecessary, but would appreciate a 'story' or change of theme again like Boomtown.

Shangri-la's setup is downright dangerous and needs a total rethink and redesign.

It's too narrow, and the walkway through the area is also where you would expect to see crowd crust and it will end in tears sooner rather than later.

Needs a total restructure so that the path through it is totally separate from the stages - ideally by extending it to the field further south, and having you walk through sitting areas and more chilled out spaces, with each stage extremely separated so there is zero crowd bleed between each one.

This has been long, long overdue and it's about time it gets sorted out before someone gets seriously hurt.

The most baffling thing is that the new stage (Nowhere) exacerbated existing issues. It genuinely just increased the danger and increased the amount of crowd crust people had to push through to get to Truth. Whoever signed off on it needs a serious talking to.

It's the most dangerous part of the festival in terms of crowd control, well, that and the South East Park / Arcadia entrance that should be shut completely off.

Edited by Isaact

22 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

The Unfairground should go IMO.

The stages are not great.

There's a horrendous sound bleed between the Flying Bus and Blind Tiger if the crowd at the Flying Bus is too big you struggle to hear it properly.

I guess the removal of a lot of what made Shangri-la great in previous years is due to budget cuts. No money for extra secret, small stages hidden away that only a few can access. Same with bands on a night, they cost more than a dj with a laptop full of tunes.