Fred again?? Next year?

Claire0406

6 hours ago, Isaact said:

He needs a way to incorporate the guests into the actual show too.

It was criminal that half the people in his tracks were on site and he didn't bring out a single one.

He just samples and loops them though.

Not sure it'd really work to bring out, say, the Blessed Madonna just for her to go "We've lost dancing" over and over again into the mic.

29 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Not sure it'd really work to bring out, say, the Blessed Madonna just for her to go "We've lost dancing" over and over again into the mic.

It wouldn’t work but it would be funny as f**k. I’d give it my vote. 

7 hours ago, chazwwe said:

I love your constant UK vs USA bullshit you try and pull.

Odesza are doing fantastic things with their live shows that not many EDM acts are doing. They're also not known in the UK at all. In fact I don't think they've done a gig in Europe let alone the UK. 

Its nothing about 'I dont get it' its actually 'Does anyone actually know them'.

Jrock is one of my favourite genres and there's Jrock bands doing huge productions, that have been doing so for 40 years, they'll never play Glastonbury, let alone headline and bring their whole show. 

Except when its the reverse of some bonkers uk artist who ends up barely playing clubs over its the whole "how do you guys not like them". Works both ways.

Overall I think it will just fall on the Eavii on taking the leap to bring an electronic act onto the Pyramid again. Fred probably will make another record thats pretty good and does all the right things. The argument as its been said already is that it needs to be "huge" and have a hit song. Cause an artist has to be a certain type of popular ie lawnchair crowd likes em or its not up to snuff pretty much. Lets say Fred somehow got to the level of doing a gig at Wembley and sold it out, still not good enough, right? 

I think it's perfectly easy to understand that acts that are big in the UK aren't always as popular elsewhere.

As for Fred headlining Glastonbury, given its the most coveted gig in the UK and one of the biggest in Europe its about more than how many streams his new album gets or if he plays a huge show on his own.

There are a number of factors feeding into it, not least whether he's actually capable of putting one  show that can entertain a 6 figure crowd of floating voters. His face has got to fit.

He might get there , sure - but he's still got a way to go.

On 7/5/2023 at 11:30 PM, Franky said:

f**k me give over. Just because you didn’t get born into money. You don’t choose your family ffs. 

Jealousy is a hideous trait guy, you weren’t so much touched with it as viciously beaten about the head with the jealousy stick. 

Bore off 🥱

🤣 not jealous at all...but I'm excellent at fishing...

13 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Yet strangely ed sheeran is just standing on stage with a guitar and plays to a backing track and the pyramid field was full. 

did anyone get upset when Aphex Twin was doing the shows where he started off literally slow on the bpms and just kept getting faster? Nope.

btw, there is a current electronic act thats headlining almost every fest in north america and has a "show" and everything you lot apparently want from a dance headliner. Yet the "i dont get it" crowd would just push them aside cause its not the chems. 

These are just as bad as Fred Again, really bland and middling.

On 7/6/2023 at 10:15 PM, Suprefan said:

Yet strangely ed sheeran is just standing on stage with a guitar and plays to a backing track and the pyramid field was full. 

did anyone get upset when Aphex Twin was doing the shows where he started off literally slow on the bpms and just kept getting faster? Nope.

btw, there is a current electronic act thats headlining almost every fest in north america and has a "show" and everything you lot apparently want from a dance headliner. Yet the "i dont get it" crowd would just push them aside cause its not the chems. 

Not sure what he did at Glasto but that's definitely not what he does on his tours, he builds the layers of the 'backing track' using loop pedals. A hell of a lot more involved than just 'playing to a backing track!' 

Edited to add...

Edited by Alvoram

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

Nah man. Just having a laugh taking the piss out of some here today gone tomorrow tunes. No bother x

Yeah, his music might not be to your liking but you don’t have to mock others who enjoyed it. No need to comment, Poor taste imo. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Essex_George said:

Watched the set on iPlayer yesterday, not really feeling it. Those that were at Bicep last year and at Fred this year, which was better? 

Was different - Bicep was the end of the festival and was a cracking way to end. Glue/Apricot was sublime, and the visuals were unreal, but the crowd at Fred had an incredible vibe. Something special about it.

Could easily be the "most recent festival" bias, but I'd say Fred again was better as an experience, Bicep was just more polished (and probably translated better on TV)

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, rwoo said:

Yeah, his music might not be to your liking but you don’t have to mock others who enjoyed it. No need to comment, Poor taste imo. 

Not mocking anyone at all. Apologies if I hurt your feelings. A forum is a place to express your feelings on the relevant subject matter. This is that. 

On 7/8/2023 at 10:46 PM, Superscally said:

Nah man. Just having a laugh taking the piss out of some here today gone tomorrow tunes. No bother x

If you can take as good as you give then you’re alright in my eyes. The worlds to woke these days. 

Enjoy it and have a laugh, if you dish it out you gotta take it too. 

Ooo er Mrs 

22 hours ago, cellar said:

Was different - Bicep was the end of the festival and was a cracking way to end. Glue/Apricot was sublime, and the visuals were unreal, but the crowd at Fred had an incredible vibe. Something special about it.

Could easily be the "most recent festival" bias, but I'd say Fred again was better as an experience, Bicep was just more polished (and probably translated better on TV)

Sadly I didn’t get a ticket last year so I didn’t see Bicep but yeah, they are different sets and vibes. Dark after hours dance music with a proper light show will always come across better on TV. But to be there for that sunset set, the crowd giving off such a beautiful energy (and being at the front, dunno if I mentioned that). 

Yeah that was something special I will never forget. 

Still wanna see either him or PHM headline next year. 

1 hour ago, Franky said:

If you can take as good as you give then you’re alright in my eyes. The worlds to woke these days. 

Enjoy it and have a laugh, if you dish it out you gotta take it too. 

Ooo er Mrs 

Exactly. Jesus, I mean, as long as you're not being personally abusive, surely the only way to live and breathe on a forum is if you're having a laugh in the pub? I am happy to savage and be savaged on music taste. 

On 7/6/2023 at 11:04 PM, Isaact said:

He needs a way to incorporate the guests into the actual show too.

It was criminal that half the people in his tracks were on site and he didn't bring out a single one.

He brought out Mike Skinner at APE last year and it worked. no idea why he didn't have guests tbh, just weird

---

I think fred's music type could make it but he does need a bit more time in the oven. won't rule it out yet but his heavy sample usage certainly draws comparisons to previous dance headliners

On 7/8/2023 at 10:15 PM, Essex_George said:

Watched the set on iPlayer yesterday, not really feeling it. Those that were at Bicep last year and at Fred this year, which was better? 

Bicep. 

By a mile.

FA was good, but not that good.

On 7/10/2023 at 10:38 PM, gfa said:

He brought out Mike Skinner at APE last year and it worked. no idea why he didn't have guests tbh, just weird

---

I think fred's music type could make it but he does need a bit more time in the oven. won't rule it out yet but his heavy sample usage certainly draws comparisons to previous dance headliners

Mike Skinner worked but he did just play some Streets songs didn’t he (I was blitzed not sure exactly what happened)?