How did you find the prices this year?

Respectfatfrog

I only bought about 4/5 pints all weekend I think. Took FAR TOO MUCH lost lager as it was on offer and wish I’d switched the Saturday. Never want to see the stuff again!

what I did buy was good and I guess reasonably priced - had a few pints from Brothers Bar (tradition) and a warm cider from cider bus each of the 2 nights sat/sun as is again tradition. Only beer I paid for was shipyard from the bar near to cider bus I think it was before Elton as I fancied a cold non-lager beer and this was all I could find.

love real ale but NOT in June in 20+ degree heat in the shade or would have sampled the Proper Jobon offer in real ale bar acoustic field. £6.20 though for a bitter is steep, even for London prices which I am used to. My closest big town that anyone would know in passing is Twickenham, all real ale currently sits at between £3.50 ish at spoons-£6 

went off on a tangent there, but £6 for the most part is fair enough. Par for the course nowadays. Even with my EFP discount in brewdog I pay over £6 a pint for beer in London and although I knew I was getting mugged off I didn’t feel I was getting mugged off enough to do anything about it if that makes sense. I thought £6.50 was pushing it, paid it for the beer ONCE and for the hot cider twice. Don’t mind for hot cider as it is my favourite place in the world to get one but too much overall.

what with Gen Z drinking less I’d be interested to know if MAYBE they priced themselves out a bit over the weekend? Saw FAR MORE cans in people’s hands than I remember there being, given that I lst was lucky enough to secure a ticket in 2016 before this year.

Edited by mungo57

Didn’t really feel ripped off at any time, and a couple of things felt like really good value: the tikka daal at the Goan fish curry seems to have been £8 for decades amazingly, it’s a lovely dish and a right bargain. Miss it already! 
Pietanic in t+c did an absolutely great pie with lovely chips, with gravy and some pickled kimchi stuff for £11 - that was delicious and filling and everything I could want from a pie. And I know my pies, as my username and pic can attest. The hot dog stall next to em was great quality and £7.50, I paid £12 for a dogshit hot dog at download and this was so laughably superior it was almost funny. 
beef rendang at Malaysian coconut curry was everything I’d anticipated, and I finally had a bash of the Lebanese meze at the park: PRECISELY what I needed. I swear stuffed vine leaves are a cheat code to fix my ills, I bloody love em. £11 for a great big plate of deliciousness, I’d easily pay £15 in a restaurant and that’s not in the midst of a bloody dairy farm: I was broadly very happy with the prices 👍

Went with two children so carried in our lunch (pot noodles, crisps, snacks) along with a flask of boiling water. Felt a bit of a tightwad opening them up but hey ho, anything to bring the cost down.

The Community Cafe between Avalon/West Holts/ Bella’s Bridge was a lifesaver though - run by volunteers and all money going to help children. Food was good quality and very reasonably priced - sausage (x2) chips and beans for £5.50 for example. I was a bit worried initially about the cost of food round the site but we ate here some evenings and the staff were all lovely and friendly. We did have some other things as well but the cafe certainly helped with our budget and we’ll definitely be going back there. 

• Upvote 1

Drinks prices (alcohol) were not massively different to where I live (Manchester). Food prices pretty standard for a gig or festival.

Biggest shocker for me was the stall between the Pyramid and San Remo were selling individual loo rolls for £2 each.

Canned water also over-priced - more taps would make it redundant.

Prices were slightly better than expectations tbh.

I figured we'd get approximately a 3 quid increase across the board, and while some places did hit that it certainly wasn't all of them. So I just went to the places that hadn't hiked prices significantly from last year.

1 minute ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

It's terrible to see that, because it's not good value.

People just expect to be fleeced while a captive audience these days as greed is so rampant 

Tbh - I didn't pay much more for anything than I'd except to pay for equivalent quality in any city centre. It was just a matter of keeping an eye out - there certainly was a lot of poor value crap out there, but there was still some genuine quality offerings at (by 2023 standards) decent prices if you were paying attention.

10 hours ago, Respectfatfrog said:

Interested to know how you found the prices this year? 

I was disappointed with the 6 quid meal offers most of them were not great value but understand the vendors have to make a living and have to share the profits with the festival itself.

I also know that prices will always be higher at a festival and I'm a skint flint. 

No surprises tbh - the food and drink prices were in line with what had been mentioned here in the run up, including the change of five to six quid for the meal deal. 

We only bought a drink or two most days, due to having taken our own, plus most days only bought one main meal, plus the occasional crumble or Tiny Tea flapjack. For breakie a brioche or two and a cereal bar (both taken with). 

@Respectfatfrog suspect it was a typo and you know, but just in case you use the phrase elsewhere https://www.etymonline.com/word/skinflint

8 hours ago, Chicken Bob said:

On Wednesday/thurs the co-op ice was £2.40 for 2kg bag. Then on fri/sat/sun it changed to 1kg bags for £2. Sneaky 

I don't understand why that's sneaky?

Larger bag has bigger price, but also economy of scale, as other shops do - it's frozen water ffs and it's very cheap. 

Was expensive but not unexpected. We had porridge pots and egg/bacon baps, plus 2 mugs of tea at the tent. Helps being in WV as it’s easy to carry cooking stuff from the car. Took small cans of pre-mixed GnT and red wine, plus own rum mixed with coke/ginger. Saved loads of money. Due to the heat, only bought about 4 pints all weekend. Generally had a snack mid afternoon, then an evening meal, so maybe spent £20 p/day on food. Food was generally excellent. 

the thing i found most annoying Re: prices was that most of the food places seemed to set there price at £11

it was so f**king annoying to have a £10 note in your hand and everything was f**king £11

which meant either paying by card (ok, no great hardship) or ending up with pockets full of change.

i realise in the grand scheme of things its not really a worldwide catastrophe - but it was really f**king annoying.

I found some places more expensive than others. Thankfully lots of decent vegan options around which did vary in price. On average I spent between £9 to £12 for a meal and ate twice a day. Even with money put by for the festival, the prices felt pretty high to me. The Hare Krishna free stew was very welcome on Saturday evening. It was really good too. I don't drink much (infact I brought back home four of the 10 cans of mixed Brewdog ales I had taken) and only bought one pint all festival, a raspberry ripple Brothers from the Brothers Bar, which I thought I would like but found to be a bit over sweet and sickly. Be interesting to see what the prices are in 24 (along with the actual ticket price itself).

Feeding a family is really expensive. We had loads of snacks and breakfast food, but feeding four people twice a day will always cost at least £400, especially now that our kids are older and the child portions that a lot of places offer are too small for them. Add additional treats and late night food and it ends up closer to £500.

£500 is objectively a lot of money. I'm sure we could make it cheaper by bringing pot noodles and buying sandwich stuff from the co-op, but we're lucky enough to be in a situation where we can budget for the expense and maximise our time on fun things rather than continually trekking to the co-op or back to the tent to make food.

What really annoys me is spending £10 on food only to find that it's bloody awful. Generally the quality was pretty good this year though. Some of the burgers I've had in previous years were borderline inedible.

23 hours ago, kidpresentable said:

Drinks prices (alcohol) were not massively different to where I live (Manchester). Food prices pretty standard for a gig or festival.

Biggest shocker for me was the stall between the Pyramid and San Remo were selling individual loo rolls for £2 each.

Canned water also over-priced - more taps would make it redundant.

When they’re free at the lockups? Cheeky buggers!

Checked the bank app and I think I spent less this time than ever before. Although we took more booze in, drank water most of the time, and I barely ate during the day. In fact I didn’t eat at all on Saturday.  But I have been fasting as part of my get fit for Glasto regime so think my stomach may have shrunk.

9 hours ago, Cheesey said:

Feeding a family is really expensive. We had loads of snacks and breakfast food, but feeding four people twice a day will always cost at least £400, especially now that our kids are older and the child portions that a lot of places offer are too small for them. Add additional treats and late night food and it ends up closer to £500.

£500 is objectively a lot of money. I'm sure we could make it cheaper by bringing pot noodles and buying sandwich stuff from the co-op, but we're lucky enough to be in a situation where we can budget for the expense and maximise our time on fun things rather than continually trekking to the co-op or back to the tent to make food.

What really annoys me is spending £10 on food only to find that it's bloody awful. Generally the quality was pretty good this year though. Some of the burgers I've had in previous years were borderline inedible.

Correct about the burgers.  And  The pies and mash were definitely not up to the same quality as previous years yet more expensive. I tend to avoid the spicy stuff due to stomach problems. 

On 6/27/2023 at 4:18 PM, sprocketrocket said:

I saved money by taking more canned beer than I normally would and spent the savings on food. 

This... Only time I paid for a drink at a bar was on 2 rounds at the Brothers Bar. 

Food prices were fine, exactly as expected... Cost of food ingredients, cooking oil and fuel has gone up so much I'm happy with anything between £10 and £15 for a decent enough meal. 

Apart from one stall, the Bratwurst stall near Car Henge. My fussy eater of a son had taken a liking to it (he always has currywurst in Germany, and theirs were pretty damn similar) It wasn't until the last night that I realised his large Currywurst was costing me £18, after I'd already ordered, for the 3rd time in 5 days!!!

£18 for two bratwursts chopped up and covered in curry ketchup with a sprinkle of curry powder... £18!!!!!

The woman could see my shock when I asked how much, to which she said "it is around 2000 calories"

2000 Kcal!!! for 2 sausages and some sauce? Give me a break!

£18 for sausage and sauce, £18

Anyway, I've ranted enough, thanks for letting me get that off my plate

They were damn accurate and pretty nice though. 🙈😂

Edited by Alvoram