The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

52 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

As much as I'd hate another 2016 (the last time the wife went) we probably need a couple of boggy ones to thin out the insta crowd.

Weirdly wasn't Glasto one of the few totally dry festivals in the UK last year, I d remember a lot being delayed/cancelled due to the weather later on in the year, and I personally got soaked at several outdoor gigs in the summer.

I'm getting old and I don't do "hot" very well so a low 20's with occasional showers suits me fine. 

Fortunately its not too bad here at the moment, flood warnings everywhere but no major flooding, been raining most of the day but only a few inches worth, which seems to be draining away OK. The view from the Glasto webcam looked grim.

Totally dry? Pissed down on Wednesday, drizzled Sunday. It was a f**king wash out mate

Edited by sprocketrocket

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Somerset under water …. Good thing we have 6 months to dry out 

don’t panic too much it’s the levels and it’s designed to flood 😉

IMG_7368.jpeg

IMG_7369.jpeg

They don’t call it the isle of Avalon for nothing.  Also called the isle of glass I understand. Ancient marshlands drained and managed over the centuries by humans. 
The views from the Tor when there is flooding are immense  I feel the urge to visit!

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

55 minutes ago, Drinky said:

Went though some old photos and I’d memory-holed just how wet it was in 2016 - this was Saturday morning down by West Holts with not just mud just plenty of standing water. Just a bit different to the past few festivals…

image.thumb.jpeg.ba516c737d60760e6d003aac51360b18.jpeg

I wonder how many folk about to try for tickets have actually experienced these conditions? Recent festivals have had lovely dry warm weather.  I’ve experienced cold wet muddy ones like your picture and 2016 was just mud, not a huge amount of rain, recent attendees won’t realise what a wet one is like. 

The higher ground was mostly fine (the Park Saturday morning below - you could sit on the ground without issue) but any areas where water could accumulate like the bottom of the Park or the lower lying areas were a mess, and major walkways were churned up to hell. The hardest fest to walk around since 2005

image.thumb.jpeg.855fb7218156c2ac70b009eb59657171.jpeg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Drinky said:

The higher ground was mostly fine (the Park Saturday morning below - you could sit on the ground without issue) but any areas where water could accumulate like the bottom of the Park or the lower lying areas were a mess, and major walkways were churned up to hell. The hardest fest to walk around since 2005

image.thumb.jpeg.855fb7218156c2ac70b009eb59657171.jpeg

Yes, muddy but passable. The walkways got covered in mud and were slippy. As it dried the mud actually became thicker and claimed many wellies.

IMG_0492.jpeg.d811e82075f7f1ec515580099153b4a5.jpeg

I have a good omen for you all;

My girlfriend has never seen rain at Glastonbury (2017, 2019, 2022) and she was the one that got through to get our tickets this morning - The first time she's ever seen the booking page herself.

I have also seen very little rain at Glasto (the only occasion being that incident in 2014 which cut the power)

1 minute ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

It's a possibility, but Im unsure tbh. As it stands today, I dont think I will be trying.

It might change. I'll let the dust settle & see how my mates feel after Christmas.

Yeah fair . It’s a tough slog through till April not knowing but does make it sweeter if you get them .