Lana Del Rey Curfew

Tom_12

11 hours ago, Amy Lawn said:

funny people are saying she should've headlined the Pyramid, is that a better place to stand around looking at an empty stage for half an hour or something?

no upvotes, but f**king this

10 hours ago, Harry3 said:

Shouldnt have included them in your "list of legacy acts" then.

One common trend Ive noticed with deranged LDR fans on Instagram especially is how quick they are to tear down Lizzo despite her having absolutely nothing to do with any of this.

Lizzo was f**king fab

10 hours ago, DeanoL said:

What would have been different if she'd been on Pyramid rather than Other? Why would she have started on time then when she didn't this time?

And yes, you're right, female musicians get it worse. Absolutely. That's my point. GnR can keep turning up late for everything, they'll still get subjected to "unhinged drivel" in places like this - it was one of the big talking points here when they were announced - but they still manage to keep going.

Whereas with female acts, people would use it as a stick to beat them with continuously. It'll happen now, but it'd been far worse if she was headlining the Pyramid - the sort of stuff you're reading today on this forum would have been all over the national papers and Good Morning Britain. She'd forever be up there when people discussed "worst Glastonbury headliner ever".

She had a narrow escape by not headlining the Pyramid. Unless of course, you think she'd have been on time had she played the Pyramid?

GNR were 2 minutes early

8 hours ago, st dan said:

IMG_0753.thumb.png.090e013debcdf35a7d079dae0bd20bb1.pngIMG_0754.thumb.png.e94ddf49ef79554db862aeafcb5fb652.png

Looking at the comments from the official Glastonbury page posting about Carhenge - looks like they’re being mobbed by angry Lana fans!

She has some disturbed fans, that last one 😬

Of course, fans of male artists can be disturbing too.

10 hours ago, DeanoL said:

I'd imagine somewhere there is a sensible point to be made about how the festival isn't really set up to cater for the needs of acts with very large and complex productions (as you say, down to even hair styling), which is more and more common with younger acts these days. But I suspect it's going to get lost in the trolling and shouting.

billie really struggled

7 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

Oh yeah good point. But yeah I expect the outcome will be the same. Can’t upset the poshos.

it's allllllll about local residents, hence why the sound is consistently terrible

Just to repeat: she was given an extra 15 minutes over her scheduled end time. More than Bruce got and  nearly as much as Macca. And given she still had about half an hour of show to go, I'm not sure five more minutes would have helped.

She would have been told at 2345 her time was up but they could give her 15 more minutes. Another artist would have jumped to the end of the set. She didn't. She just took that fifteen minutes for granted, carried on with the show as is, and then started complaining. 

The narrative that the festival cut her zero slack is not true at all. She got extra time. She was not cut off the second she went over, she was cut off after being given fifteen minutes grace and then failing to use that time to wrap up the show.

If they'd given her another five minutes she'd just have played the next song in the set and still not done Videogames and wrapped it up.

The reason this has "never happened before" is that when it does happen, the artist gets told they can have 15 minutes to wrap up... and they wrap up. And you don't even realise it happened.

Edited by DeanoL
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Colorblindjames said:

Lana was the highlight and the lowlight of the weekend.

Her performance and staging was fab. A beautiful, messy performance. The curfew was a lowlight and a disgrace. Especially if it's true old male rockers were allowed to overrun in the past.

Some of the responses slagging off LDR and her late arrival are a little bit sad. This is the music industry folks. Artists often misbehave. Do we want Glastonbury to be a sanitised, disneyfied experience? Are the main stages only to be populated by non threatening boys and girls?

IMO Glastonbury are 100% at fault here. First of all she should have headlined the pyramid anyway instead of the cock rock we got all weekend. (With the exception of Elton who deserved his send off.) Her music catalogue over the past 8 years is simply a stunning body of work. 

Secondly selecting her slot to start at 10-30 and giving her only 1hr and 15 was asking for trouble if indeed there was a 12am curfew. 

Thirdly Glastonbury showed great disrespect to their customers who for many like myself LDR was to be the highlight of the whole festival. 

30 minutes ago, OG said:

Is colorblindjames a fanboy/girl or a troll? genuinely can't tell

A bit of both I expect, he does make a couple of reasonable points though, "This is the music industry folks. Artists often misbehave.", true, and since Lana has some form in this regard her tour manager should be on top of things and not give her any reason to carry on, she needs a tour manager who can read her the riot act if need be. Totally unprofessional way to behave. She's been in the business long enough and has played Glastonbury and plenty of other festivals  before so she's no excuses.

"Her performance and staging was fab. A beautiful, messy performance.", quite, after reading this thread I wanted to hate her but I've just watched it and it was terrific, all the more irritating that we are now discussing the set for the wrong reasons.

"First of all she should have headlined the pyramid anyway instead of the cock rock we got all weekend."  If she was anywhere near being a pyramid headliner she would have been on there, the festival are desperate to get female headliners, the fact is she is not yet at that level.

Anyway to add a bit of positivity to this thread, the BBC are putting out the audio on 6 Music and it will then be on Iplayer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001n9c0

And for those that want to watch, there is video available, looks like it won't be on Iplayer but you can get it here,

https://www.mediafire.com/file/tilcy8uyqp68yij/LDR_Glastonbury_24062023.mkv/file

Nothing to do with me BTW but it works.

12 minutes ago, Levitz said:

billie really struggled

But she started pretty much on time, finished on time and delivered a great show. It can be done…..

We watched 30+ sets/shows this year and nothing was less than +/- 10 mins off schedule. We had toyed with leaving GnR for LDR as friends were heading over there and some of our kids were there. So glad we didn’t. They were very disappointed. She/her machine let down a lot of people on Saturday and they should reflect on that.

Just now, Neville Street said:

But she started pretty much on time, finished on time and delivered a great show. It can be done…..

We watched 30+ sets/shows this year and nothing was less than +/- 10 mins off schedule. We had toyed with leaving GnR for LDR as friends were heading over there and some of our kids were there. So glad we didn’t. They were very disappointed. She/her machine let down a lot of people on Saturday and they should reflect on that.

sorry, should have stated 'sarcasm font' she was amazing

18 hours ago, sneakysabi said:

Whoever thinks that the hair stylist not being there on time was a trivial reason for delay clearly has not seen her full performance from Brazil.

Thanks for bringing the Brazil performance into things, as I wanted to see the end of the set after Saturday’s… shall we say ‘incident’. 

It was interesting that she was, by her own admission, “late, late, late” for that one as well… 

I’m more intrigued onlooker than absolute fan, but have seen her (I think) five times and have about as many of her records. And there has been one issue or another on every one of those occasions. She certainly has form, which I find less disrespectful to me (I like, rather than love, her as I say) than her real devotees of which there were evidently loads in attendance  

Surprised so many of them are so quick to defend her if I’m honest, but also appreciate her not wanting to hack away at a show which had been pretty well put together up until that point. 

Why are we still going on about this?

she let herself and the crowd who went to watch her down by acting in a petulant and selfish manner. She deserves all the negativity she’s getting and shouldn’t be defended for not caring about repercussions for the fest if she went over her curfew. The hair stylist bollocks as well is ridiculous - if I showed up to work late and said ‘my stylist was late’ I think I’d likely get either sacked or disciplined in some way!

whilst on El Pointo Axl and GnR turned up on time and casually destroyed the place.

🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by mungo57

I don’t get it either. She turned up on stage late cos her hairstylist was late and her hair was part of the show so she couldn’t do it? Ridiculous.

if it’s that integral, make sure they are on time and if they aren’t you adapt and wing it because you are a professional and owe your fans a full show. 

if her hair wasn’t done not one person would be saying ‘Lana was great, but that song where she didn’t have big hair really let it down’ get over yourself and get on with it

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Colorblindjames said:

Lana was the highlight and the lowlight of the weekend.

Her performance and staging was fab. A beautiful, messy performance. The curfew was a lowlight and a disgrace. Especially if it's true old male rockers were allowed to overrun in the past.

Some of the responses slagging off LDR and her late arrival are a little bit sad. This is the music industry folks. Artists often misbehave. Do we want Glastonbury to be a sanitised, disneyfied experience? Are the main stages only to be populated by non threatening boys and girls?

IMO Glastonbury are 100% at fault here. First of all she should have headlined the pyramid anyway instead of the cock rock we got all weekend. (With the exception of Elton who deserved his send off.) Her music catalogue over the past 8 years is simply a stunning body of work. 

Secondly selecting her slot to start at 10-30 and giving her only 1hr and 15 was asking for trouble if indeed there was a 12am curfew. 

Thirdly Glastonbury showed great disrespect to their customers who for many like myself LDR was to be the highlight of the whole festival. 

Nope, nowhere near a Glastonbury headliner and her attitude will just prevent her from coming back. She was acting like she’s so irreplaceable, she’s the only one who lost out (aside her fans) by dicking about with her hair and not listening to the organisers. The festival will continue to sell out year on year and have far better acts, she made no impact whatsoever and wasted a huge amount of time.

The production of the stage was lovely, but the actual set was incredibly dull. Looked like it had been lifted and shifted from an arena tour (other artists are guilty of this as well) with no consideration for a festival audience. 

Contractually, she would’ve agreed to the set time and should’ve turned up to deliver her end - it’s a job at the end of the day and not some massive fanfare due to her fame.

if it’s true that she was shouting and screaming at the stage staff after, this is disgusting behaviour that should be condemned - I don’t care who you are or how popular your music is. Good riddance, hope she never comes back to Worthy Farm. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Edited by discgoesmic

29 minutes ago, discgoesmic said:

Nope, nowhere near a Glastonbury headliner and her attitude will just prevent her from coming back. She was acting like she’s so irreplaceable, she’s the only one who lost out (aside her fans) by dicking about with her hair and not listening to the organisers. The festival will continue to sell out year on year and have far better acts, she made no impact whatsoever and wasted a huge amount of time.

The production of the stage was lovely, but the actual set was incredibly dull. Looked like it had been lifted and shifted from an arena tour (other artists are guilty of this as well) with no consideration for a festival audience. 

Contractually, she would’ve agreed to the set time and should’ve turned up to deliver her end - it’s a job at the end of the day and not some massive fanfare due to her fame.

if it’s true that she was shouting and screaming at the stage staff after, this is disgusting behaviour that should be condemned - I don’t care who you are or how popular your music is. Good riddance, hope she never comes back to Worthy Farm. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Kasabian and Muse say hi.

19 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

you trying to argue these were never headliner size? baffling especially the Muse take, not a fan but maybe one of the biggest British rock bands at the time when they were at their most popular

strange take

2 minutes ago, pryce said:

you trying to argue these were never headliner size? baffling especially the Muse take, not a fan but maybe one of the biggest British rock bands at the time when they were at their most popular

strange take

No. Just stating that they played the pyramid yet people are arguing that LDR isn't big enough. That's the strange take. 

LDR's size is quite hard to quantify - at least it was as a live draw. The speed with which the Hyde Park tickets shifted indicated obviously pretty high demand - maybe enough so to place her definitively in the headline conversation next time around.  Saturday night being a tour de force could have absolutely sealed it for her. But she's shot a hole in her own foot.

9 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

No. Just stating that they played the pyramid yet people are arguing that LDR isn't big enough. That's the strange take. 

If Coachella aren’t willing to take the punt on her headlining (and let’s face it, it is a punt as Saturday proved), then no reason Glastonbury should be either. 

47 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

I’m no fan of Kasabian but they’d already subbed Glastonbury to a big crowd and headlined Reading/TITP/V by the time they did Glastonbury. They were absolutely a headliner at the time (before we knew what a twat the old singer is)

18 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Since people wanted facts: if you look at how long an act actually went over their scheduled time slot they were booked for (not the stage curfew), 2004 Macca was 20 mins, Springsteen 14 mins and Lana 15 mins. So I actually think she got the same 15 mins-ish grace anyone else got. 

Macca 2022 went on longer. His scheduled finish was the usual 23.45 but he was still working his way through Hey Jude gone midnight, and then there was a 5 song encore.

8 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

I’m no fan of Kasabian but they’d already subbed Glastonbury to a big crowd and headlined Reading/TITP/V by the time they did Glastonbury. They were absolutely a headliner at the time (before we knew what a twat the old singer is)

Me either but to say LDR isn't big enough when Kasabian and Muse have done it is strange. LDRs streams alone tell us she's big enough. 

10 minutes ago, Lubic said:

Macca 2022 went on longer. His scheduled finish was the usual 23.45 but he was still working his way through Hey Jude gone midnight, and then there was a 5 song encore.

Yes Glastonbury didn't show the flexibility they have shown in the past to male artists. The rest is just speculation.