Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

7 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

This site is literally about commenting on who's gonna come and who's not, so I don't understand what' the problem of talking about it.

Sure no problem about that. I mean for instance if The Smile end up playing, say Bilbao and nowhere else in Spain in 2024, I can understand that's upsetting for Spanish fans. But arguably it doesn't change much on the quality of Primavera's lineup.

11 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

Depends. If for example I like Foo Fighters and they don't come to Primavera, I wouldn't get upset with that because it's not a booking that Primavera would have at all. I mean it can get kind of subjective because in the last years the direction of the festival changed and some artists that were unimaginable at Primavera, like Calvin Harris and Halsey, ended up coming, but still I would be ok if let's say Foo Fighters don't come and I would try to catch them somewhere in Europe.

On the other hand, The Smile and Massive Attack could be easily here, they are very Primavera style bookings. And I would be extremely happy to see them at Primavera instead of, let's say, Disclosure or The National. And of course if they don't come I feel a bit disappointed, because then it means I have to spend a lot of money on tickets, accommodation, flights and so on and so on. And if you live somewhere in the middle of Europe it's ok, but if you live let's say in Finland, you want Primavera to have as many acts as possible that you like so you can save money on seeing them individually.

And yes, you cannot have everything, but I'm not on this forum complaining that Primavera should bring Foo Fighters or Green Day or Bad Bunny, because it's not normal to have those artists. But I do talk about Smile and Massive Attack. At the end of the day it's a pointless conversation cause we don't know why they didn't come, but you can still question it. This site is literally about commenting on who's gonna come and who's not, so I don't understand what' the problem of talking about it.

The problem is some people making out as if Primavera is a terrible festival because they missed 1 or 2 artists. Instead of looking what things they did get. I can see The Smile elsewhere, I can't see Jai Paul/Clipse/FKA Twigs anywhere but this festival.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

Yeah I agree with this. People complaining about the Smile but two weeks ago they had a tour announced in March so there was plenty of opportunity to catch them (if you live in the majority of Europe).

I assume you're British? The Smile have 3 shows outside the UK.. the closest to me is about 4 hours away by flight.

I think it's ok to be disappointed if bands you wanted to see will not make it to the festival you're going to, it's not always that trivial to catch them elsewhere 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, scatteredscreens said:

The problem is some people making out as if Primavera is a terrible festival because they missed 1 or 2 artists. Instead of looking what things they did get. I can see The Smile elsewhere, I can't see Jai Paul/Clipse/FKA Twigs anywhere but this festival.

I agree that the festival doesn't get worse for not having and X artist in the lineup, but you can still judge it on the acts it has. For me the only problem is that we have The National and Phoenix in this lineup so early and those bands are not very cheap, I would prefer to have something else instead of them, but that's just me, for sure there are people that love them and would die to see them.

Also I think that Primavera spoiled us a bit. Starting from 2018 they started to bring very big names or very commercial names, and people got used to it. So the fact that they made a "classic" lineup this year with less big artists may disappointed some. And the price just goes up and up, I paid 200 euros in the early bird so I don't mind, but I cannot justify paying 300 euros for this lineup unless you really love most of the bands.

both the smile and massive attack can be caught by everyone interested sooner or later. I live in Italy which is a bit left behind by these tours and I saw the smile once and massive attack twice. However, the point is that I also buy a festival experience with my ticket, and, in case of primavera, I am buying a well curated succession of acts that should end up being better than the sum of its parts. It's a definitely different experience to see massive attack in a slot between, let's say, the national and justice than to see only them at one gig. 

btw, didn't bbk booking team work in collaboration with primavera? it mustn't have been them, if this is true, to have stolen MA from PS. it's sonar or nobody else, since mad cool must be out of the race. 
If sonar has both MA and underworld they are solid competitors to this imo

Edited by Whos3000_

That all make sense, although if the festival is *too* good, then Massive Attack & The Smile would clash with other must-see bands. I've never seen a full set of those two bands (I've seen half of The Smile at APE), so like most of you, I would have liked to see them. They are not high enough on my "must see" list to travel for them, but maybe one day.

8 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

I agree that the festival doesn't get worse for not having and X artist in the lineup, but you can still judge it on the acts it has. For me the only problem is that we have The National and Phoenix in this lineup so early and those bands are not very cheap, I would prefer to have something else instead of them, but that's just me, for sure there are people that love them and would die to see them.

Also I think that Primavera spoiled us a bit. Starting from 2018 they started to bring very big names or very commercial names, and people got used to it. So the fact that they made a "classic" lineup this year with less big artists may disappointed some. And the price just goes up and up, I paid 200 euros in the early bird so I don't mind, but I cannot justify paying 300 euros for this lineup unless you really love most of the bands.

They do have very big and commercial names, it's just everyone here looks past them because they aren't what they themselves like, a festival blind spot so to speak.

SZA's first Spanish date is nothing to be snuffed at. Lana is a seismic ticket shifter in todays world, regardless of her tardiness. I would guess that Lana will be shifting just as many tickets as DM/Kendrick on her name alone. Vampire Weekend on an EU exclusive is also a good booking. 

19 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

I assume you're British? The Smile have 3 shows outside the UK.. the closest to me is about 4 hours away by flight.

I think it's ok to be disappointed if bands you wanted to see will not make it to the festival you're going to, it's not always that trivial to catch them elsewhere 

Fair enough I knew it was marketed as an 'EU' tour so I did expect more than that I admit.

And of course it's disappointing but some people on this thread are acting as if the festival would be radically different with two different names in the mix, there are like 150+ acts on the announcement?

4 hours ago, BA_Barrabus said:

On the plusses, that Sofia Kourtesis album is a tonic for the soul - gives me Caribou/Fred vibes. Guessing she'll be on Cupra?

I checked out Sofia Kourtesis after a few recommendations in here and it is hurtling towards Album of the Year territory for me. Love it. 

• Like 1