Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

8 hours ago, PuzzlePiece said:

Unless she’s touring the US at that time

No, she [edit: PJ Harvey] said herself that US tour is September. I'd be very surprised if she doesn't play in some form.

Regarding The National, the booking would make sense for local fans, so just because of that it could happen for Barcelona only (and not Porto). I think the question is more: why Barcelona promoters didn't or aren't booking them outside of Primavera in 2023/2024? Ideally they should just book them for some headlining June show.

Edited by emmanuel

24 minutes ago, emmanuel said:

No, she [edit: PJ Harvey] said herself that US tour is September. I'd be very surprised if she doesn't play in some form.

Regarding The National, the booking would make sense for local fans, so just because of that it could happen for Barcelona only (and not Porto). I think the question is more: why Barcelona promoters didn't or aren't booking them outside of Primavera in 2023/2024? Ideally they should just book them for some headlining June show.

Regarding The National that's what adds weight to it for me.

2 hours ago, festivalguy97 said:

Actually Karol G has a decent amount of reviews and apparently Rolling Stone and The Guardian like her a lot, and most of her reviews are quite good. She even has better reviews than some other alternative artists that are rumoured here. Plus she has some songs empowering women and femenism and she sings in Spanish so she could fall in the “New Normal” concept. Just because Pitchfork doesn’t review her, doesn’t mean other don’t do that. I see more chance of her coming than other artists like Bad Bunny and so on. She kind of reminds of J Balvin in 2019 when Primavera booked him. 

If Rolling Stone or The Guardian reviews were representative of what "fits" Primavera, Liam Gallagher or The Killers would be feasible acts. Anyway, with the new "no red lines" policy I guess we cannot discard anyone.

I was just giving some insight because for someone that lives here, reading comparations between Rosalia and Karol G sounds like comparing Thom Yorke and Liam Gallagher just because they are two english lads singing on a stage at their 50s.

Looking at Pitchfork upcoming releases we have some possible names touring soon or next year: The Kills, Marina Herlop, Shabazz Palaces, Beirut, Cat Power, Danny Brown, Sleater Kinney, Helado Negro...

Some reunion names like Drop Nineteens (someone mentioned before) and McLusky.

6 hours ago, csopcsop said:

I'd be very happy if at least some of these acts would turn up, and I see some realistic chance for all: mclusky, the clientele, walkmen, LCD (maybe a BCN residency?), creeper, jeff rosenstock, kali uchis, carly rae jepsen

as for the headliners, I dont know. almost all of them are unenjoyable because of the crowd

Please, a residency in BCN and another in Porto.

I still see very few things in here that would actually qualify as a rumour that ist more than "someone mentioned them".

Re: PJ Harvey - I like her a lot, but I think she might have a bit of a weird standing at PS nowadays. She headlined in 2016 (or co-headlined with Sigur Ros to be precise), but since then PS has grown significantly, not just by audience size, but the size of the headline names. She on the other hand - while still making excellent music- will not have acquired tons of new fans, being largely inactiv inbetween. I don't see her playing Mordor anymore wit her (relatively) weaker standing and PS genre diversification she'll probably not be able to bring out as many people as 2016, but I also doubt she'd be happy with 3rd or 4th stage.

Just now, Quadrophobia said:

I still see very few things in here that would actually qualify as a rumour that ist more than "someone mentioned them".

Re: PJ Harvey - I like her a lot, but I think she might have a bit of a weird standing at PS nowadays. She headlined in 2016 (or co-headlined with Sigur Ros to be precise), but since then PS has grown significantly, not just by audience size, but the size of the headline names. She on the other hand - while still making excellent music- will not have acquired tons of new fans, being largely inactiv inbetween. I don't see her playing Mordor anymore wit her (relatively) weaker standing and PS genre diversification she'll probably not be able to bring out as many people as 2016, but I also doubt she'd be happy with 3rd or 4th stag

Don't think anyone on here is saying she'd be the lead headliner but I can see her supplementing a bigger name(s) for sure. Probably on the top line, whether you say that's headline or not is a different question (there were like 5 names Inc Jorja Smith and Phoenix on Saturday W2 last year).

3 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

Re: PJ Harvey - I like her a lot, but I think she might have a bit of a weird standing at PS nowadays. She headlined in 2016 (or co-headlined with Sigur Ros to be precise), but since then PS has grown significantly, not just by audience size, but the size of the headline names. She on the other hand - while still making excellent music- will not have acquired tons of new fans, being largely inactiv inbetween. I don't see her playing Mordor anymore wit her (relatively) weaker standing and PS genre diversification she'll probably not be able to bring out as many people as 2016, but I also doubt she'd be happy with 3rd or 4th stage.

Many bands IMO grow their reputations ever more when not playing. Overfamiliarity can breed contempt. Portishead will be way bigger when they come back than they would have been if they had been gigging the circuit repeatedly.

I don't know what makes someone a Headliner at PS these days as they don't highlight so prominently them like other festivals but given the biggest 3 acts play Mordor, I'm fairly sure she will be performing there.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Many bands IMO grow their reputations ever more when not playing. Overfamiliarity can breed contempt. Portishead will be way bigger when they come back than they would have been if they had been gigging the circuit repeatedly.

I don't know what makes someone a Headliner at PS these days as they don't highlight so prominently them like other festivals but given the biggest 3 acts play Mordor, I'm fairly sure she will be performing there.

Fair point, I just think that the fka Primavera Stage would be more suitable for her and more enjoyable for her audience.

• Upvote 2

Other good way to predict headliner is to consider who would do sonar, mad cool and bbk. Primavera takes everyone else basically. 

National could go for bbk this year but I don't see them booking pj harvey, so -->PS for her. Underlworld with new album at sonar maybe? If we go back at the names of 2023, almost nobody could be predicted at this time of the year last year and the majority of the artists had releases/tours in summer/late 2023 rather than late 2022. For this reason, I think most of our predictions will be eventually revelaed wrong. 

If PS uses the two headliners format in the poster (like last year), I could easily see PJ harvey in the second line of that day but playing one of the earliest of the main stage slots (like st vincent or caroline polachek last year) 

Edited by Whos3000_
  • Upvote 1