Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

9 hours ago, willsmith700 said:

Literally, never even heard of a Bad Bunny?... any recommended listening?

My girlfriend plays his music all the time, she loves Latin music at the moment and I have to say I would recommend nothing I've heard from him. To my ears it's nails on a chalkboard. I like Rosalia but beyond that just can't get into this stuff. 

He's obviously doing something right to be so popular but it hasn't clicked with me.

• Upvote 1

Sorry, but I don’t understand why claiming ignorance of one of the biggest Spanish speaking artists in the world (Bad Bunny) when you are clearly interested in music and planning to go to a festival in Barcelona, is considered funny or even a virtue. Sadly, after headlining Coachella with a really great set, releasing one of the best reggaeton albums ever (Un Verano Sin Ti, which is the perfect starting point if genuinely interested), working with a host of international artists (Drake, Gorillaz, Rosalia etc) and having a huge sell out stadium tour of the US and Latin America, I fear the Bunny is now too big for Primavera, and that is a huge pity. He certainly fits the Primavera brand. (One of Pitchfork’s albums of the year).

Similarly, C Tangana, is not an ‘easy’ option as the Spanish crowd pleaser. According to a new film, Esta Ambicion Desmedida, his last tour, which was absolutely stupendous for anyone with a love of music, almost bankrupted him. I live in hope of a one-off Primavera slot but can’t see him doing a full tour for a while.

I love The Cure to pieces, having first seen them in the late 70’s in Eric’s Liverpool; but would be far more excited about Bad Bunny or C Tangana headlining than Mr Smith and Co. I really hope Primavera keeps pushing the emphasis on the new rather than the past and hope that this year (my 7th) will have a truly exciting forward-looking bill in terms of alternative hip hop, Latin music, K & J pop and Afrobeats. (OK and because I’m nice, some blokes playing guitars too if you insist).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Valbork said:

Sorry, but I don’t understand why claiming ignorance of one of the biggest Spanish speaking artists in the world (Bad Bunny) when you are clearly interested in music and planning to go to a festival in Barcelona, is considered funny or even a virtue. Sadly, after headlining Coachella with a really great set, releasing one of the best reggaeton albums ever (Un Verano Sin Ti, which is the perfect starting point if genuinely interested), working with a host of international artists (Drake, Gorillaz, Rosalia etc) and having a huge sell out stadium tour of the US and Latin America, I fear the Bunny is now too big for Primavera, and that is a huge pity. He certainly fits the Primavera brand. (One of Pitchfork’s albums of the year).

Similarly, C Tangana, is not an ‘easy’ option as the Spanish crowd pleaser. According to a new film, Esta Ambicion Desmedida, his last tour, which was absolutely stupendous for anyone with a love of music, almost bankrupted him. I live in hope of a one-off Primavera slot but can’t see him doing a full tour for a while.

I love The Cure to pieces, having first seen them in the late 70’s in Eric’s Liverpool; but would be far more excited about Bad Bunny or C Tangana headlining than Mr Smith and Co. I really hope Primavera keeps pushing the emphasis on the new rather than the past and hope that this year (my 7th) will have a truly exciting forward-looking bill in terms of alternative hip hop, Latin music, K & J pop and Afrobeats. (OK and because I’m nice, some blokes playing guitars too if you insist).

This is exactly the opposite of what I think about music, you couldn't be more accurate, but ok, as I already said there will be room for all musical genres, respect

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Valbork said:

Sorry, but I don’t understand why claiming ignorance of one of the biggest Spanish speaking artists in the world (Bad Bunny) when you are clearly interested in music and planning to go to a festival in Barcelona, is considered funny or even a virtue.

Brilliant strawman argument.

10/10.

• Upvote 1

I had a great time last year but the lineup was a bit less exciting than usual. A lot of acts had toured extensively following the pandemic so the pool of artists available wasn't quite as good generally. 

Taking that into account plus the fact Primavera tends to have the really great lineups every 2 years (not sure if it's budget related or just coincidence) - I have high hopes of a great lineup for 2024.

2 minutes ago, UsernameHere said:

I had a great time last year but the lineup was a bit less exciting than usual. A lot of acts had toured extensively following the pandemic so the pool of artists available wasn't quite as good generally. 

Taking that into account plus the fact Primavera tends to have the really great lineups every 2 years (not sure if it's budget related or just coincidence) - I have high hopes of a great lineup for 2024.

Last year was all about the big names. Apart from 2022 I can't remember them having so much expensive headliners on one lineup. Blur, Kendrick Lamar, Depeche Mode and Rosalia on the same lineup is pretty huge. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, matrainertje said:

Last year was all about the big names. Apart from 2022 I can't remember them having so much expensive headliners on one lineup. Blur, Kendrick Lamar, Depeche Mode and Rosalia on the same lineup is pretty huge. 

Yeah, I couldn't agree with you more!!  And PSB the biggest name they have ever had to headline the Weds/Sun.

2 hours ago, matrainertje said:

agree, when you compare to something like 2019 it's night and day.

2 hours ago, matrainertje said:

Yeah fair point, the headliners were massive. It will be interesting to see if they continue down that path. The festival has definitely gotten bigger so maybe that will be the norm.

Headliners were smaller for 2022 but the depth was incredible. I attend this festival for the depth on the lineups, not necessarily the huge names. Although I enjoyed Blur, New Order, Kendrick, Rosalia etc. 

3 hours ago, Whos3000_ said:

2023 was superior to 2022 since almost nobody big dropped out. This has proven to be rare among the years. This led to a very dense line up well beyond the headliners 

I think the 2022 lineup was better personally as I had a silly amount of must sees per day but it's all down to preference. The experience in 2023 however was brilliant. I loved it - no queues, no bad vibes, no crowding. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, ibo said:

What do you think re max cooper ? 
any chance ?

fever Ray ?

james blake ?

pj Harvey ?

sophie Ellis bextor ? (lol) but would be fun for a pop crowd!

No Spanish dates For those. 

Max Cooper more of a Sonar thing I think, plus he plays everywhere all the time. For electronic stuff I'd be looking at stuff like OPN and Forest Swords who have records out this autumn and would fit.

For PJ and James I'd be very surprised if they weren't on the lineup. Sophie won't be anywhere near, sadly.